Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...on-t-open.html
see post #2
Old 05-05-2015, 02:41 PM
Shadetree930
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Excellent! 30 minutes elapsed time between question asked/answered.

God Bless the intarwebz

Edit ... I tried search and completely overlooked the obvious right in this thread.

Thank you.
Old 10-25-2022, 10:12 PM
PapaGanoosh
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundertub
ivygreen,
Actually this has been discussed several times, but SEARCH is an imperfect function sometimes.

Step 1. Pull the handle up
Step 2. Stick something (soft but firm) under the handle so the handle won't go down
Step 3. Go back to the engine cover and lift
Step 4. If the engine cover lifted, then look at the black round things in the far corners of the engine cover (upper two corners when the lid is up). Take note that they are actually adjustment screws with a round black cover. There is a hex head slot in the adjustment screw. Rotate the adjustment screw out half a turn at a time and then close the cover and try again.
Step 5. "Rinse and repeat"

Step 6. If holding the lever up while trying to open the engine cover did not release the lid, then you have a much bigger problem. Keep searching here, because the truth is out there. I just don't remember where the emergency release is located (usually tucked behind one of the taillights inside the wheel well).

Note: The rubber cap on the adjustment screw in each corner (2 total) actually provides the resistance to pop the cover. If those rubber covers are missing or worn out, then you should preplace them.
Apologies for the bump in such an old thread but I'm having the same issue here. I've tried to make the adjustment via Allen key tried both metric and sae but none seem to fit. It looks like the Allen key is in between a 3 and 4 mm. Can anyone confirm if it's a 3.5 mm Allen key?

Quick Reply: 1999 Engine Lid Won't Open