996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

brake light switch help needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013 | 08:29 AM
CBR786
Pro

Default brake light switch help needed

I need help with regards to a fault code that keeps coming up on my car.

When I plug in the PST2 tester it reads brake switch fault ??

I press the brake light switch and all rear brake lights work fine including the two high level lights one in the spoiler and the the other one in below the horse shoe thingy my car is a cab C4 TIP.

When I go into test mode in the tester program I see a function that allows me to test the brake switch in real time while I have the tester connected. My question is when powering up the PST2 tester in the menu I see two options for brake light switch ??? when I click to view these in real time one shows the switch working while the other does not ?

my Tip selector lever works fine and my rear brake lights all work but I get PSM and ABS light come on after 15 mins of driving ?
Old 01-03-2013 | 01:43 AM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

These switches fail intermittently. When I had the same problem it took ten attempts to replicate the fault just stepping on the brake peddle and then the Brake lamps flickered once. It is a cheep part - replace it and be done with your problems.
Old 04-01-2013 | 03:35 PM
georgiadis
Advanced

I have a related issue on my 996: the brake wear light comes on after I wash the car or when it rains even the pads are in fine condition. (This started to occur shortly after I replaced the rear pads.)

When this happens, the stop lights either don't work at all or they flash and go off when I press the brake pedal.
After a while, the light goes off and the stop lights work fine.

Any ideas? Thank you!!

Quick Reply: brake light switch help needed