996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Super Sport users?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 03:12 AM
seanmcr6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have run 2 sets of Hankook V12s on my C4S...and for 2 weeks, a set of Michelin PSS. For the street, the Hankooks were great. Lots of grip, decent rain performance, last above average for a high performance tire.

The PSSs are in a different league. I bought mine from tirerack (all my tires actually) and had them shipped to california. Drove down from Canada. Had them put on and spent two weeks in sunny Ojai/Ventura. Daily canyon runs and a day out at Willow Springs. These tires were quieter and gave noticeably more dry grip.

My only complaint, if I had one, is the tires don't give you much warning when they're about to let go. You have to really push them for them to go, but there is no warning or feeling that it's about to happen.

I don't think michelin PSS are worth it for the street however. To get the most out of these tires you really have to push them, which you just will never do on the street. (rather, you SHOULD never do) Plus, they're NOT well suited for wet conditions.

I have a hard time breaking my Hankooks loose on the street. They will supply plenty of grip for your "spirited" drives.

sean
Old 12-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by laz74
Damon, any news on whether Michelin will offer the PSS in 285/30R-18?
Spoke with a Michelin rep last week that admitted they were having problems with the "N" spec line. Estimated delivery date of 7/13. I'm sure this is related to your question.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:41 PM
ccaarmerciill
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard Dunlop are making the next generation Star Specs to be available to the US market in early 2013. I also read they'll be available in many 18" sizes! Looks like I found my answer!

I also heard they were a huge improvement in lap times and autocross times from the currently available star specs...
Old 12-13-2012, 12:29 AM
bordin34
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seanmcr6
Plus, they're NOT well suited for wet conditions.
Interesting. My friend is one his second set of PSS on his very modded 335xi. For him they are a great wet tire.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Super Sport users?