Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Do you ever feel like an ass owning/driving a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 04:33 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
Never; I feel as if I have the inside dope on a GREAT motorcar that makes me grin every time I drive it.

Its not a daily driver, as none are, but the best thing about owning a Porsche is the fact it is one of the most ecologically sound investment, the most Sporting car, and the most financially sound investment a guy can make , IF if it is maintained. And , one of the safest.
Most of my cars are vintage watercooled, but I do own 2 vintage air cooled, the newest an ' 88 Carrera. How could I feel bad driving any of them ?
Only the evil , jealous types are going to be haters. Not worth my time if THEY try to make me feel as an *** for driving the best.
Why not, I drive my 996 as long as it's not raining or going to.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:09 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM
Why not, I drive my 996 as long as it's not raining or going to.
Ditto. Mine is a DD rain or shine.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:47 PM
petonic
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
Actually funny that you guys have ran into @ss Porsche owners, as all the ones I've ran into all drove 997 or newer models now that I think of it.

I can actually say that I've never run into a @ss 996 owner yet. Some were dumb or goofy but never an @ss 996 owner yet.
Heh, I had a 997 NA car try to "flex" on me on I-280... I was going about 80 mph, he was doing 75, we were both cruising and I was passing him (on the right, of course, 'cause he couldn't be bothered to move over). He looked like he wanted to run it, but maybe good judgement kicked in or something and he realized that he couldn't compete in a rolling race with a 996 Turbo (x50 to boot, but he'd only know that if he looked at the tail pipes).
Old 12-07-2012, 08:49 PM
petonic
Instructor

BTW: Driving home yesterday on the I280 to King Street flyover in San Francisco, I got a nice nod in acknowledgement from a sport bike rider. Top was down. Nice.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:02 PM
uswrnk54
Advanced

Petonic-
Is on I – 280 is it the other day and my 997 and this guy in a 996 was trying to "flex." I saw his turbo tailpipes and decided to back off.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I actually got a wave today from a guy driving a 997TT. Never happens.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:00 PM
450knotOffice
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been daily driving my 996 for 105,000 miles and 6 1/2 years and I have NEVER felt like an a$$. I feel at home in the car (as I do in my wife's daily driver 2007 Cayman and my weekend '84 911). These are DRIVER'S cars and I've never grown tired of the look, feel, handling, and sound of any of my cars. As some have already said here, I will NEVER be without a daily driver Porsche, if I can help it.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:01 PM
3kgto
AutoX

Originally Posted by AndyK
How can I sell my car to someone in Singapore!?

You probably won't get that much money out of selling your car to Singapore, because a HUGE portion of the prices goes to the car import taxes. 120% of car price and a 7% GST and of course the dreaded USD75000 COE.

All these presumably to control car population, but hasn't been working well as the number is creeping upwards and they authorities start making it even more expensive. (How do they expect numbers to fall with increase in citizen population, people eventually just get used to the prices and start buying cars)

Instead, car ownership has become status symbol and an avenue for many to flaunt their wealth. It punishes those who genuinely needs a car for whatever reason.

Originally Posted by tcc
not to hijack thread, but where would you get a chance to open up the 996 in Singapore? The road to airport maybe? Too much congestion for serious running.
Like you mentioned, not much space to open up. But we mostly do it on the Malaysian Highways enroute to Sepang International Circuit where you have our track days. However, not to say that we cannot enjoy the car in Singapore. No insane top speeds, but enjoy the thrills of hard accelerations traffic lights to lights (we have many here), sad but we just have to adapt.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:40 PM
petonic
Instructor

Originally Posted by uswrnk54
Petonic-
Is on I – 280 is it the other day and my 997 and this guy in a 996 was trying to "flex." I saw his turbo tailpipes and decided to back off.

LOL. Hey, I'm new to the vocabulary as well (learned it from an old Will Smith song, Get Jiggy with It), but as I understand it, if *you're* approaching a car, then the car being approached isn't flexing. He's just going his speed. Not until he punches it does he enter the zone of Flexing.

I'd have to email Will Smith to find out if my definition is correct, but I think he's too busy making movies or something to get back to me.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:21 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work for my money and feel I should also enjoy it, so what better driving my dream car. I don't give a S&^t what people think. I'm going to enjoy my Porsche until I die!
Old 12-08-2012, 10:34 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dotframe
I have been daily driving my C4S for about a year now. Most of the time I completely forget that the car brings so much attention. I feel so at home driving it. I'm sure other people think I'm some douche driving around just lapping up the attention and really all I'm doing is thinking about the next time I can get to the track or improving my heel toe at the next exit.
I actually forget this too. I get reminded everytime I get a new GF and they comment on all the looks it gets... Thats when I sneak in my "they are looking at you baby, not the car"

Yes I really feel like an *** some times. I try to be nice.. let people in Wave at the rednecks in their vetts and stangs... Talk to people that compliment the car. I try to be a nice guy.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:25 PM
hotelguy
Instructor

It is my new DD and I don't care. I smile when I pull it out of my garage and I smile when I get on the road and get up to speed.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:29 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

del

Last edited by KrazyK; 12-18-2012 at 10:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Do you ever feel like an ass owning/driving a Porsche?