Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Do you ever feel like an ass owning/driving a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 09:16 PM
318touring
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

On the motorways around Malaysia to the annoyance of the Malaysians.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:17 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 318touring
On the motorways around Malaysia to the annoyance of the Malaysians.
LOL!

On a serious note the roads in Malaysia are pretty nice.
I have a few friends that do some serious track events out there, and some kids of theirs that do some serious street racing in their dads 911s, ferraris and lotuses.... :-(
Old 12-06-2012, 12:19 AM
996_C4S
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

No, you should feel like an *** if you drive a yellow Humvee. Or maybe a Corvette. But never, ever a Porsche. People who think of them as "luxury cars" don't get it, but that's fine.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:29 AM
jdjones2010
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alpine003
Dunno where you guys live but around here both Hooters and Tilted Kilt have some of the nastiest girls around. Dunno how these girls get hired but I'm guessing all the good looking ones take regular jobs elsewhere.
I'm waaaay down here in La. & I've heard about the girls at the Tilted Kilt! Lol!
Old 12-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by 996_C4S
No, you should feel like an *** if you drive a yellow Humvee. Or maybe a Corvette. But never, ever a Porsche. People who think of them as "luxury cars" don't get it, but that's fine.
ok, i'll play with your ridiculous comments.

Why is a 911 ok, but a corvette is not?
Old 12-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Sax Maniac
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever run into an *** in a Porsche while driving your Porsche?

I work for a large corporation and the campus my office is in houses multiple lines of business. There are 4 911's in the garage that I have spotted.

One day as I was backing into a space a red 997 pulled in a couple of spaces over. I got out expecting the usual "brotherly Porsche owner chit chat" but the owner got out, looked at me and *rolled his eyes* then walked off toward the elevators.

Now...I work in IT and we aren't customer facing and my dress code is "casual" so I was wearing jeans, a golf shirt and a hoodie. This guy was in a suit. I followed him but didn't say anything as he immediately made a phone call to his admin announcing he was on his way up).

Anyhow, at the time I thought it was sort of a jerk move but left it alone. After seeing this thread I thought "yeah, there are *** 911 owners out there"....have you seen any? :-)
Old 12-06-2012, 01:12 PM
lmsmith12
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, ever run into an *** in a Porsche while driving your "other" car?

I commute into LA everyday for work, so for 5 days a week I do not drive my 996 (way too much traffic and clutching to enjoy the ride). Instead I have a commuter car. I hate to say it, but I have run into the occasional Porsche *** in this scenario.

Example 1) Double left turn lane. Porsche 991 on inside lane, me on the outside lane. Light turns green and the 991 goes from inside to outside, forcing me to brake to avoid a collision. Here’s the kicker, after I change lanes and pull up on the driver’s side, the lady inside rolls down her window and flips ME off!

Example 2) Waiting at the valet after lunch. Out of the restaurant comes “Mr. Rude” who cuts in front of me and says he must have his car immediately. When his new 997 Turbo S (with 21 inch wheels) pulls out of the garage he proceeds to jump in, without tipping the valet, and go full throttle out into traffic. No way that engine was warm yet.

I would guess that LA must be one of Porsches largest markets and, although there are a million solid Porschephiles in LA, there are those few bad apples, clueless owners who bought the car for the badge as opposed to the performance, history and/or enjoyment of it. These are the 1% that create the stereotypes that lead to these types of threads in the first place.

That said, I never feel like an *** in my 996. Worked hard for it, do not take it for granted and I enjoy it every chance I get. Also, the camaraderie I find at PCA and POC events has been second to none.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:47 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Actually funny that you guys have ran into @ss Porsche owners, as all the ones I've ran into all drove 997 or newer models now that I think of it.

I can actually say that I've never run into a @ss 996 owner yet. Some were dumb or goofy but never an @ss 996 owner yet.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:40 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
Actually funny that you guys have ran into @ss Porsche owners, as all the ones I've ran into all drove 997 or newer models now that I think of it.

I can actually say that I've never run into a @ss 996 owner yet. Some were dumb or goofy but never an @ss 996 owner yet.
I think the "***" owners (as pointed out in the post prior to yours) are just buying them to remind you that they are more important. As such they typically drive the newer cars. At least in my area I can assure you that there were a good share of ***** 996 drivers when the cars were still new.

I see the same thing with BMWs. Most of the asses are in newish cars and the cool people that will wave as they pass are in the older ones.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:04 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

I sometimes think folks see me as pretentious ( to me that's being an ***) because where I live my car is looked as very expensive. I didn't get it as a status symbol, but as a fun car to drive.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:33 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
I think the "***" owners (as pointed out in the post prior to yours) are just buying them to remind you that they are more important. As such they typically drive the newer cars. At least in my area I can assure you that there were a good share of ***** 996 drivers when the cars were still new.

I see the same thing with BMWs. Most of the asses are in newish cars and the cool people that will wave as they pass are in the older ones.
I agree. I was talking about the present. And yes I do also have 2002tii and e30 m3 so I know what you mean by newer BMW owners. The newer BMW owners that do wave at me tells me that they are definitely enthusiasts.

Just the other day I saw a guy that looks like he just got out of jail, driving a sweet Dinan 635csi on the streets. I gave him the thumbs up and he probably knew immediately that I was a BMW enthusiast.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:52 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dennis hiip
I sometimes think folks see me as pretentious ( to me that's being an ***) because where I live my car is looked as very expensive. I didn't get it as a status symbol, but as a fun car to drive.
+911 996. Bang on!
Old 12-07-2012, 11:11 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Never; I feel as if I have the inside dope on a GREAT motorcar that makes me grin every time I drive it.

Its not a daily driver, as none are, but the best thing about owning a Porsche is the fact it is one of the most ecologically sound investment, the most Sporting car, and the most financially sound investment a guy can make , IF if it is maintained. And , one of the safest.
Most of my cars are vintage watercooled, but I do own 2 vintage air cooled, the newest an ' 88 Carrera. How could I feel bad driving any of them ?
Only the evil , jealous types are going to be haters. Not worth my time if THEY try to make me feel as an *** for driving the best.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:39 PM
rasank
Track Day

A porsche is not so out of place here as it might be in other parts of Canada or the US. I went to Pittsburgh a month and a half ago and saw only one panamera in the four days that I was there, no 911's.
I've only once heard a snide remark on a PCA drive where we had ten shiny porsches all parked in a line. It was a beautiful sight but too much for some passersby. F*'em! We are all enthusiasts and have worked hard for our cars. If I cared what other people thought about me, I wouldn't have been an entrepreneur either. So I don't give a rats *** about what someone else might think about me.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:10 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 996_C4S
wat?

Quick Reply: Do you ever feel like an ass owning/driving a Porsche?