996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Parking Light Bulb Replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 07:42 PM
Mitch Leland
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Light Bulb Replacement...

I just bought a 2003 996 C4S, pictures to follow: I need to replace the left "park light bulb", I've searched this forum and read the owner's manual for directions. I can't believe I'm having to ask how to do this...

The manual says to remove the carpeting on the trunk sidewall, however my molded carpet looks like a one piece affair that goes from left side, the front and right side, all one piece. Plus I've turned the plastic nut (A) and it's still seems attached. The manual shows the carpet as a flap, mine is not like that... The carpet even goes down and under the spare tire. I think if I can exposed the inner fender to unlock the rails that support the head light assembly the rest will be downhill.

Thanks,

Last edited by Mitch Leland; 11-07-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:38 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 760 Posts

It really is quite simple and does work like your manual says. You have to pull on those black plastic "nuts" and work your fingers under the carpet panel to put outward pressure at those points. Once you get the panel pull outward you will easily see how it works to just pull it away from the fender wall, exposing the rubber plug where you insert the special tool to turn the nut that releases the headlight can. It just pops and lets loose and you pull the headlight can out so you can replace the bulb. Make sure you turn the nut in the right direction, it doesn't take too much effort but turning it the wrong way you could damage it. Installation is the reverse. Once you do this one time, you will see how easy it is.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:44 AM
Dstutler
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same question recently, went in to the dealer and they did it for me at no charge. Then I found this how to........

Old 11-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Mitch Leland
Advanced

Thanks for the help... The plastic "T" fasteners just don't want to dis-engage from their socket. I just didn't want to get physical w/ the carpet. I'll give it another go... Your replies are appreciated.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:54 PM
Mitch Leland
Advanced

My problem was the plastic "T" bolt was stripped and would not un-screw itself. I finally had to get behind the upholstery and pry the plastic bolt off the stud. Once that was done the rest was easy. Pretty slick arrangement..
Old 11-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

well done.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember, everything is reversed from the instructions on the other side of the car. I'm not looking at the manual and I can't remember which side it shows, but I found it difficult to always work like a mirror image - not wanting to strip or jam anything. It says turn clockwise, but you have to do the opposite.

Quick Reply: Parking Light Bulb Replacement...