996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Failing water pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 03:10 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Here's a pic of my Boxster's OE water pump after 172K miles.

The pump was noisy, not alarmingly so, but enough. I can't say for sure but it does look like the tops of the blades had made contact with the casting surface but even if so when this occurred I can't know. It might have been when it was first installed (at the factory) or it might have occurred as the shaft developed play that I found upon inspection and sealed my decision to have it replaced.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:55 AM
JMLavoie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for posting! Now I know how the impeller is supposed to fit with the pump shaft.
Not sure as well about your mysterious blade tops. They look evenly made that way.
Martin
Old 11-05-2012, 02:19 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by JMLavoie
Thanks for posting! Now I know how the impeller is supposed to fit with the pump shaft.
Not sure as well about your mysterious blade tops. They look evenly made that way.
Martin
A higher res pic shows the top edges have been abraded some. 'course with pump in front of me one can see and feel the abrasions.

But I never saw a new one so I can't say for sure the tops are really abraded or it is just some kind of poor finishing after the unmolding.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:22 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My new pump comes in on Wed. I'll certainly compare pics and finish. Doing mine pre-emptively, along with the AOS, low temp T-stsat and motor mounts. (left mount appears to have collapsed). Pump, 2 gal coolant, seals, washers, cabin filter, low temp stat w/housing, AOS, motor mounts, new coolant cap (mine has dried residue around it, even though replaced in '07 with new tank), and oil filler tube were $820 shipped.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:22 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Perry;
If you don't mind, please post a photo of the new Water pump you will be getting so we can compare with Macster's. Would be appreciated!
Martin
Old 11-06-2012, 06:32 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Mechanic said the vanes were fine--just the bearing was going.

First mechanical problem (other than consumables and routine maintenance) in the three-and-a-half years I've owned her.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:11 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Good news, then, no worrys! Caught in time! BTW, what year and how many miles on the pump?

Mine actually came today, and I'll post a pic when I get a chance, but I can tell you, it looks identical to Macsters, but the slanted part on his that has striations/abrasions is square and smooth, so his had no wear to speak of other than those abrasions. I wonder if just normal usage over that many miles would cause those marks? Not much to it for $260.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Macster
Race Director

Not much too it for $260... well, the OE one in my Boxster lasted 172K miles. I'd rather pay $260 for a water pump every 170K miles (and labor for its replacement) that pay something less for a lesser water pump and the labor for its replacement more often. That labor cost is the biggie.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Failing bearings in the WP means that impeller contact with the crankcase is imminent.. When the impeller loses support due to a bad bearing the next thing that occurs is impeller failure that leads to the bits being pumped through the system.

Thats why its imperative that WP replacement is done proactively, not reactively. The crazy thing is IF the factory would have specified a mileage point for WP replacement everyone would consider it a cardinal sin to drive a single mile beyond that point. Unbelievable.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:41 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by perryinva
BTW, what year and how many miles on the pump?
2002 69k miles
Old 11-07-2012, 10:42 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Well, yeah, but RallyJons only lasted 69k miles, (my 2002 has 49k miles, water pump appears fine, but it is 11 years old now) while the $40 one on my '99 Dodge Dakota (with metal impeller) has lasted 160k miles, so far, so you get my point. I understand machined alloy and a "high tech" composite impeller will always cost more, but for instance, I've installed the Stewart all SS & alloy units in BMWs and only paid $140 for them, and they are an AMAZING water pump. I hope the latest rev of the Porsche ones have better bearings.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:41 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts

The WP on my friend's 2001 Boxster just failed at 50K miles. Very small leak, then it started making noise.

All impeller tips are cracked off. He's trying to figure out a way to backflush and get the pieces out of the head. He's got the transmission out... just did the IMS bearing replace (himself) as a preventative action.

Any thoughts Jake?
Old 11-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by edfishjr
The WP on my friend's 2001 Boxster just failed at 50K miles. Very small leak, then it started making noise.

All impeller tips are cracked off. He's trying to figure out a way to backflush and get the pieces out of the head. He's got the transmission out... just did the IMS bearing replace (himself) as a preventative action.

Any thoughts Jake?
Until Jake has time to respond my suggestion would be to rig up a way to use a garden hose to back flush the engine cooling system and the radiator cooling system portions of the cooling system.

All the coolant hoses will be have to be disconnected. The water pump removed along with the t-stat.

Then forcing the water in the opposite direction of flow should have the debris coming out the with fresh water.

Likewise with the radiators.

Catch the water in a clean large can or bucket or something and observe the amount of debris approximates the missing impeller material.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:20 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Until Jake has time to respond my suggestion would be to rig up a way to use a garden hose to back flush the engine cooling system and the radiator cooling system portions of the cooling system.

All the coolant hoses will be have to be disconnected. The water pump removed along with the t-stat.

Then forcing the water in the opposite direction of flow should have the debris coming out the with fresh water.

Likewise with the radiators.

Catch the water in a clean large can or bucket or something and observe the amount of debris approximates the missing impeller material.
Thanks. I will relay the information.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:29 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

How come I am seeing new water pumps at Parts Geek for half the price you paid for yours? Is there anything against installing these cheaper pumps. Any feed back from posters would be well appreciated along with Pros and Cons for these pumps. Thanks.

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...FYKK4AodwFAAvg

Last edited by Hurdigurdiman; 11-09-2012 at 09:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Failing water pump