Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What is a reasonable price for a 2004 Porsche 911 40th year Anniversary Non-working?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 04:39 AM
N3llyNova
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What is a reasonable price for a 2004 Porsche 911 40th year Anniversary Non-working?

Hi fellow members!
Found a seller selling a shell (non-working, busted engine fail) 2004 40th Year Limited Edition Porsche 911. The stats behind it is perfect, just one thing, engine is non-repairable and considered catastrophic and only solution is a new or used engine. A quick run down of the vehicle. All maintenance record is up to date. No accident, that's right, NO Accident at all. No knicks, scratches or bumps. A few mods, typical ie: Exhaust, ECU Tune, Air filter kit, wheels & tires, short shifter, a small rear spoiler, and new aftermarket clutch AND flywheel. Everything else is stock, except what was the added option on the Limited Edition vehicle. Car is at 59k mi. OBD II from dealer checks out clean, other than what was originally declared the issue of the engine failure, cylinder misfire 1 and metal in oil filter. The vehicle did get a new Complete valve job, but did not fix or repair the engine and was still declared non-working. Interior is prestine, exterior is immaculate. Bottom line, car's history seems well taken cared of and the case of bad luck for owner and engine busted. So how much for a 59k mi. 2004 Porsche 911 40th year Limited Edition or what would be a reasonable purchase???

Thank you for your expertise advice and opinion!
Old 10-31-2012, 06:34 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 71 Posts

Those cars in fully working condition are selling in the high $30s to mid $40s. I was actially considering one when I bought my GT3, but the price difference per performance difference was so close I bought the 6GT3 instead.

It's hard to say. What's the going cost on a replacement motor of those specs. I mean that isn't just a 300Hp carerra motor. It's the 345HP power plant, which has different cams and other bits. I would expect that motor to run $12K new plus the labor. And I'm pretty sure those motors are no longer available from the dealer. $20K for the car sans motor??? Quite honestly even that sounds a bit high.

Mike
Old 10-31-2012, 07:58 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 329 Posts

If you haven't already, I suggest you re-post the question in the main 996 forum so as to get more feedback.

As Mike said, replacing the X51 engine maybe hard, and putting in a standard engine would likely eliminate any premium this model has over a Carrera of the same vintage/condition.

Ask your local Porsche dealer to quote an engine replacment job (parts & labor).

Thread very carefully.

There's always another car.

Karl.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:49 PM
N3llyNova
AutoX

Thanks folks! Keep the feedback and responses coming. More #'s on pricing
Old 10-31-2012, 03:06 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

15k MAX
Old 10-31-2012, 03:49 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
15k MAX
+1.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:53 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Consider how much the car is worth with a working motor, subtract the cost to repair/replace, and that is how much it would be worth to me. So if you spent 20k with FSI, that would put the car at around 10k max. I guess you also have to consider core charge.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:19 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lucky if he gets 10K. Used non-x50 motor is about the only reasonable/economical solution, but I suppose you can just swap the x50 stuff over (cams, heads etc)
Old 10-31-2012, 04:52 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would look past the need to get an x51 replacement. No matter how pristine the car, it is not worth more than $10k in its current condition. Source a LN Engineering engine for $18k and have a kick *** ride for $28K.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by N3llyNova
Hi fellow members!
Found a seller selling a shell (non-working, busted engine fail) 2004 40th Year Limited Edition Porsche 911. The stats behind it is perfect, just one thing, engine is non-repairable and considered catastrophic and only solution is a new or used engine. A quick run down of the vehicle. All maintenance record is up to date. No accident, that's right, NO Accident at all. No knicks, scratches or bumps. A few mods, typical ie: Exhaust, ECU Tune, Air filter kit, wheels & tires, short shifter, a small rear spoiler, and new aftermarket clutch AND flywheel. Everything else is stock, except what was the added option on the Limited Edition vehicle. Car is at 59k mi. OBD II from dealer checks out clean, other than what was originally declared the issue of the engine failure, cylinder misfire 1 and metal in oil filter. The vehicle did get a new Complete valve job, but did not fix or repair the engine and was still declared non-working. Interior is prestine, exterior is immaculate. Bottom line, car's history seems well taken cared of and the case of bad luck for owner and engine busted. So how much for a 59k mi. 2004 Porsche 911 40th year Limited Edition or what would be a reasonable purchase???

Thank you for your expertise advice and opinion!
As little as you can pay.

What you do about the engine afterwards is up to you. There's the replace with identical option (but price this first to know what you are looking at total cost to get the car back on the road) or you can go as crazy as you want and can afford.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:11 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Call any Porsche dealer and ask how much a factory rebuilt motor is installed with a new clutch and pp. Look at NADA and find average trade in price for this car. Subtract the first number from the second and maybe another $5K or so for taking a chance and help with any other repairs needed. This is what I may pay if I looked at the car and it was in very good condition from what I could tell.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:52 PM
Diablo360
Instructor

Originally Posted by nick49
Call any Porsche dealer and ask how much a factory rebuilt motor is installed with a new clutch and pp. Look at NADA and find average trade in price for this car. Subtract the first number from the second and maybe another $5K or so for taking a chance and help with any other repairs needed. This is what I may pay if I looked at the car and it was in very good condition from what I could tell.
I agree with this; and taking those numbers into account it looks like we're near the $10k figure that everybody else has been quoting. Maybe if the car is super clean and has good maintenance records then up to $13k is okay, but I wouldn't pay a dime more than that.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:57 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by N3llyNova
Thanks folks! Keep the feedback and responses coming. More #'s on pricing
Well, don't hang your financial hat on our opinions. The best you will get from this crowd is broad numbers.

I would get a full, itemized quote for a replacement engine from a good, local dealer. Specifically, the dealer should physically diagnose the car, rather than simply give a broad quote. There may be hidden issues, or other items like the clutch, etc. that also need attention. Then I would make an offer on the car that makes the final price ~$28-30k.

This solution not only gives you a great car at a good price, but local dealer warranty service for a couple of years on the replacement engine. Any other solution will require a lot of time and effort on your part, and some serious shipping costs.

Remember too, you can't finance a new engine. So if you are looking at getting a car loan for some or all of this car it would be better and easier if you simply find one that already works. Perhaps not an issue, but a part of the overall decision that bears consideration.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:35 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo360
I agree with this; and taking those numbers into account it looks like we're near the $10k figure that everybody else has been quoting. Maybe if the car is super clean and has good maintenance records then up to $13k is okay, but I wouldn't pay a dime more than that.
+1
Old 11-01-2012, 04:36 PM
N3llyNova
AutoX

You guys are awesome! I'll post photos for a clearer picture of the situation of the vehicle and I appreciate the feedback thus far.
Attached Images        

Quick Reply: What is a reasonable price for a 2004 Porsche 911 40th year Anniversary Non-working?