Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What is a reasonable price for a 2004 Porsche 911 40th year Anniversary Non-working?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 04:53 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, all those fancy look nice/go fast parts don't mean sh*t when the engine is spent. Don't make a bad choice by being sucked in by the shiny pieces.

Are those Chinese wheels with Hankook tires? I'm not knocking the Hankooks (as I have them on my car and they are a decent tire) but those tires on Chinese wheels is about as cheap as you can get. Does the owner have the original wheels?

The AWE exhaust are expensive and nice but very few mods are worth a premium price and no mod is worth jack with a blown motor. IMHO.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Diablo360
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That car is a nightmare....... Other than the AWE exhaust and the EVOMs air box, the rest of the mods are crap. In my opinion those wheels are way too big and make the car look like a freakin lowrider, and they take away from the value of the car, and the same applies for that ridiculous carbon spoiler. Were there holes drilled in the decklid in order to mount it? If so take more $$$ off of your offer price. And what's up with those exhaust tips? They stick out waaaaaay too far.

At this point I don't see how this car is appealing in any way unless you want a clean chassis for a track beater, or unless you source a budget rebuilt/used 3.6L engine for around $8k -$10k and try to get the car back on the road for no more than $20k out of pocket cost. The whole point of owning a 40th Aniv. 996 is to honor it's originality and keep the body in stock form. You're going to have to spend extra money to restore the car back to its original look, and that's on top of the $20k+ you're going to have to spend on the X50 engine repair, clutch, and additional maintenance items. Is it worth it? If you really want a 40th Aniv. 996 I think there was a seller on here that had a clean no issues example for under $35k. Or if you just want to enter into 996 ownership at a lower price point you can opt for a non-40th Aniv. model, in which case you can find clean, well sorted examples for $20-$30k depending on the year. If I were you I'd pass on this as it just seems like one giant headache......
Old 11-01-2012, 11:10 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo360
That car is a nightmare....... Other than the AWE exhaust and the EVOMs air box, the rest of the mods are crap. In my opinion those wheels are way too big and make the car look like a freakin lowrider, and they take away from the value of the car, and the same applies for that ridiculous carbon spoiler. Were there holes drilled in the decklid in order to mount it? If so take more $$$ off of your offer price. And what's up with those exhaust tips? They stick out waaaaaay too far.

At this point I don't see how this car is appealing in any way unless you want a clean chassis for a track beater, or unless you source a budget rebuilt/used 3.6L engine for around $8k -$10k and try to get the car back on the road for no more than $20k out of pocket cost. The whole point of owning a 40th Aniv. 996 is to honor it's originality and keep the body in stock form. You're going to have to spend extra money to restore the car back to its original look, and that's on top of the $20k+ you're going to have to spend on the X50 engine repair, clutch, and additional maintenance items. Is it worth it? If you really want a 40th Aniv. 996 I think there was a seller on here that had a clean no issues example for under $35k. Or if you just want to enter into 996 ownership at a lower price point you can opt for a non-40th Aniv. model, in which case you can find clean, well sorted examples for $20-$30k depending on the year. If I were you I'd pass on this as it just seems like one giant headache......
Could not have said it better myself. If you really like his car perhaps you should buy something with STI or Evo after the name.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:49 AM
N3llyNova
AutoX

Tough crowd. Those are Authentic Roderick RW-5 wheels and it could possibly be the angled photo it was taken that makes it seem like a low rider vehicle. I'm lovin' the responses so far.

Some things are quite obvious as some of you mentioned. Yes, I can inherently gain more issues purchasing a picker-upper vehicle, however an advantage is hey $35 grand to $45 grand 40th anniv. with Turbo front and different suspension with GPS, etc. for a margin of the cost and to fix it for a estimated $9 grand engine and $2-3 grand labor.

$10 (for shell car & mods) + $9k motor + $3k labor = totaling $22k with mods already done and smog legal as oppose to an original 40th 996 at $35k-45k with no mods done. Money aside 22 grand as oppose to $35 grand is a considerable difference.

No need to knock off photo's of Chinese wheels, because name brand wheels sell Roderick RW-5's and the owner mentioned using a carbon fiber "baby" spoiler as oppose to a super rad GT2 or GT3 wing, because of weight difference as the GT2 or 3 would make the engine hood much more heavier unable to keep the lid open. The paint is impeccable, the interior is well kept.

I am simply inquiring and seeing my options. To buy a shell and install new or used engine may be desirable or cost effective. Local dealer says $19k for new 40th yr. Limited Edition engine and $6k for labor, which is roughly $25k in total, plus purchasing the vehicle at $10k = $35k.

I have already found an 04 996 3.6 L standard engine with upgraded IMS (because yes that is a huge issue for the 996 engines) for $8,500 at only 4,500 k miles. It's tempting, isn't it?

The owner has the original wheels and new tires with less than 3k miles. The owner also has original clutch, flywheel, and exhaust and is willing to include it all. Remember, all the upgrades were all done this year, so are all practically brand new as yallz can see.

It may seem like I'm asking for an approval to purchase this shell of a vehicle, but I'm not. And yes, it tickled my fancy, but for 6,7,8 or 10 grand at its current condition and for the sake of argument, all records are up to date and no other issues other than a dead engine, would you purchase this vehicle?

To be more objective, if this car was a standard 996 Carrera C2 for let's say $6k with dead engine, would you purchase it? It's obvious the authenticity no matter what, is gone...Let's work with what we got.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:31 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

If that car was never involved in an accident I would buy it for $6k all day long.
$10K? not as likely but I would still consider it.

Buying a used motor (new IMS bearing or not) is risky business without a warranty.

Buying the car for $6k and getting a LN engineering motor for $18K would be my plan.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:33 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by N3llyNova
Tough crowd. Those are Authentic Roderick RW-5 wheels and it could possibly be the angled photo it was taken that makes it seem like a low rider vehicle. I'm lovin' the responses so far.

Some things are quite obvious as some of you mentioned. Yes, I can inherently gain more issues purchasing a picker-upper vehicle, however an advantage is hey $35 grand to $45 grand 40th anniv. with Turbo front and different suspension with GPS, etc. for a margin of the cost and to fix it for a estimated $9 grand engine and $2-3 grand labor.

$10 (for shell car & mods) + $9k motor + $3k labor = totaling $22k with mods already done and smog legal as oppose to an original 40th 996 at $35k-45k with no mods done. Money aside 22 grand as oppose to $35 grand is a considerable difference.

No need to knock off photo's of Chinese wheels, because name brand wheels sell Roderick RW-5's and the owner mentioned using a carbon fiber "baby" spoiler as oppose to a super rad GT2 or GT3 wing, because of weight difference as the GT2 or 3 would make the engine hood much more heavier unable to keep the lid open. The paint is impeccable, the interior is well kept.

I am simply inquiring and seeing my options. To buy a shell and install new or used engine may be desirable or cost effective. Local dealer says $19k for new 40th yr. Limited Edition engine and $6k for labor, which is roughly $25k in total, plus purchasing the vehicle at $10k = $35k.

I have already found an 04 996 3.6 L standard engine with upgraded IMS (because yes that is a huge issue for the 996 engines) for $8,500 at only 4,500 k miles. It's tempting, isn't it?

The owner has the original wheels and new tires with less than 3k miles. The owner also has original clutch, flywheel, and exhaust and is willing to include it all. Remember, all the upgrades were all done this year, so are all practically brand new as yallz can see.

It may seem like I'm asking for an approval to purchase this shell of a vehicle, but I'm not. And yes, it tickled my fancy, but for 6,7,8 or 10 grand at its current condition and for the sake of argument, all records are up to date and no other issues other than a dead engine, would you purchase this vehicle?

To be more objective, if this car was a standard 996 Carrera C2 for let's say $6k with dead engine, would you purchase it? It's obvious the authenticity no matter what, is gone...Let's work with what we got.
Would I buy the non-running 996 40th Anniversary car?

No.

To me the car really only should have a 996 40th Anniversary engine. Anything else makes the car a Frankenstein and worth a lot less if I ever wanted to sell it/trade it in.

Thus the car would be a long term/forever car. And it would grate on me to have anything else in the engine bay but the proper engine.

The problem is I doubt the owner would sell it for a low enough price to cover my time/trouble to get the car back on the road. Moving a non-running vehicle about is a pain and costly. There are insurance and registration issues associated with a non-runner.

If I wanted to buy a modern 911 non-runner and then get it running there are other 996 models to choose from and they I believe could be had for less money and gotten back on the road for less money.

In fact I'm tempted to look into what nice non-running 996s are available and what I might buy one for and then have a local dealer install a replacement engine and to then have this car as a backup car to my Turbo and Boxster.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:15 PM
N3llyNova
AutoX

Quick question. Somewhat rhetorical, but I just have to ask (I'm sure there are limitless of threads regarding this topic too).

Q: Is there such a situation of non-repairable catastrophic engine fail? Or shop/owner did not try or pay enough to get it fix? What would warrant an engine replacement? Makes me wonder why a motor is declared dead and non-repairable.

In this particular situation, owner/seller says shop charged $6k for labor and complete Valve job to solve the issue, and when the repair was done, car was still clunking and shutting off within a minute of starting it. Therefore, dead? and cut his losses? Macgyver? Jack Bauer? House? Michael Knight? Anyone?

Unfortunately I love to drive fast cars and appreciate them, however I am no expert technician. I appreciate the opinions!
Thanks again!
Old 11-02-2012, 02:27 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Q: Is there such a situation of non-repairable catastrophic engine fail?
The answer is yes. At the same time, that doesn't not sound like the issue with this engine. Could this engine be rebuilt? Most likely it can be.

When the IMS bearing fails, the IMS shaft can drop, the chain connected to it can jump, the timing is thrown off, the valves come down, the pistons come up, collision of internal parts, cylinders ruined etc etc.

Again, that doesn't sound like the engine in this car. If this engine runs and then shuts off without sounding like a crusher, it may be a good rebuid candidate.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:33 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

This is one example....

I guess technically you can put new sleeves in it -- but
there are many ways where you can get to the point where
it is not financially worthwhile to rebuild.

Mike
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2012, 07:03 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Technically I suppose any engine can be rebuilt. But the cost in parts and time, not to mention finding someone who can do it competently, generally lead owners to a rebuilt or crate engine.

Nova - honestly, if you by your own admission are not technically minded, you need to walk away from this foolishness. You could spend a quick $20-25k and not have a reliable car, but have a car that no one would take off your hands.

Unless you are going to deliver the car directly to a dealer or other well-known shop to install a proper X50 motor, this car makes no sense financially, asthetically, or in terms of performance.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Quick question. Somewhat rhetorical, but I just have to ask (I'm sure there are limitless of threads regarding this topic too).

Q: Is there such a situation of non-repairable catastrophic engine fail? Or shop/owner did not try or pay enough to get it fix? What would warrant an engine replacement? Makes me wonder why a motor is declared dead and non-repairable.

In this particular situation, owner/seller says shop charged $6k for labor and complete Valve job to solve the issue, and when the repair was done, car was still clunking and shutting off within a minute of starting it. Therefore, dead? and cut his losses? Macgyver? Jack Bauer? House? Michael Knight? Anyone?

Unfortunately I love to drive fast cars and appreciate them, however I am no expert technician. I appreciate the opinions!
Thanks again!
It depends upon the engine. Let even a 996 engine come apart and that's all she wrote.

But let an engine in some exotic car break, even "catastrophically", and an engine that might otherwise be scrapped is rebuilt. But oh the cost...

Generally engines that have died due to overheating, running out of oil, or have suffered major casting damage or have been found to have serious casting integrity issues (bad porosity in the wrong places or critical casting features out of location) are not rebuilt.

I have to be careful, though. There is a tendency in some people to want to repair, and sometimes succeeding, anything and everything. There are some who if they were allowed to would try to rebuild the Titanic.

A car owner is free to insist an engine be rebuilt and there might be a shop out there that would oblige the owner but there will be no warranty and the rebuild fee (which would be high to begin with -- but maybe not high enough so the shop could be facing funding part of this rebuild itself...) would probably be required up front and of course non-refundable even if the owner got cold feet.

A shop might do this once. But only once. The money is just not worth it. The risk to the shop's rep if the engine goes boom is just not worth it.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
Technically I suppose any engine can be rebuilt. But the cost in parts and time, not to mention finding someone who can do it competently, generally lead owners to a rebuilt or crate engine.

Nova - honestly, if you by your own admission are not technically minded, you need to walk away from this foolishness. You could spend a quick $20-25k and not have a reliable car, but have a car that no one would take off your hands.

Unless you are going to deliver the car directly to a dealer or other well-known shop to install a proper X50 motor, this car makes no sense financially, asthetically, or in terms of performance.
Exactly right.

Let me add:

Not every car made and sold lasts forever, to start out with by stating the obvious.

Some cars are just destined to end up in the wrecking yard. Even a nice 40th Anniversary car. Not every car is going to get resurrected.

Just makes those that last longer that much more valuable.

Even those that end up in a wrecking yard do their part (no pun) in keeping other similar cars on the road.

Not too long from now I'm sure some owner or owners of other 40th cars will be very happy to come across a fender, hood, or other salvageable parts from this car if it does end up in a wrecking yard.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: What is a reasonable price for a 2004 Porsche 911 40th year Anniversary Non-working?