How to Sunday drive a Porsche 996 Cabrio

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 11:50 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts
Default How to Sunday drive a Porsche 996 Cabrio

I always get told I do things "differently" than almost everyone else. If the label says use 1 ounce, I use 3 so I get three times the benefit! If I'm told, "you can't do it that way", then I'll try it anyway just to see if I can. If the speed limit says 65, I go...Well I'll keep that one a secret.

But on to the original topic. So I wanted to show how I cruise around Sunday driving in my 996 cabrio.

What do I love most about this car? I remove the magnetic number and I drive it into work this morning as if nothing happened. Sure it's filthy now but still as comfortable and capable of commuting as anything else out there. But of course it's hiding the secret of what it did this past weekend.
Attached Images    
Old 10-29-2012, 02:36 PM
petonic
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice. Kinda like dating a librarian who is a closet dominatrix. Or something like that.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:06 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like how you think!
Old 10-29-2012, 03:57 PM
DB's997
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my 2000 996 out at Texas World Speedway last Saturday. I love these cars, you can race them on the weekends and cruise them to work on the weekdays.....
Old 10-29-2012, 04:07 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Looks like you had a blast!
Old 10-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice.... I spent the weekend tracking mine as well.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:47 PM
Racer117
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love that attitude Fernando! I had taken a previous car to the track, '03 540i BMW. My friends asked, don't you still have a loan out on that car?! My reply, "Yeah, and your point is?" Nobody may be calling me smart but they sure as hell can't call me boring either.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:10 PM
dotframe
Pro

Originally Posted by DB's996
I had my 2000 996 out at Texas World Speedway last Saturday. I love these cars, you can race them on the weekends and cruise them to work on the weekdays.....
Were you at the PDS on the 20th? I was there as well. Amazing weather that day!
Old 10-29-2012, 08:33 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

I really love the versatility of these cars. If you're not taking it to the track you are barely scratching the surface of what it is capable of.

I know most people wouldn't dare track a cabrio but what I've found is that this car is more than willing to handle whatever I throw at it. I have yet to believe that I am being in any way constrained or held back because of my car's abilities, it'll be a while before the car becomes the limiting factor in my progress.

As for doing this with a daily driver - well I gave up the idea long ago that my car was ever going to be a beauty queen. But with every rock chip and rubber streak ruining my paint comes loads of smiles and getting more than my money's worth out of it!
Old 10-29-2012, 09:54 PM
Slopeslider
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Fernando, I'm with you my favorite kind of Sunday drive. I tracked mine at Roebling Road last weekend. Loads of fun! I do tape mine up to help reduce rock chips and rubber marks. Have you considered tracking without the hardtop? I was thinking about it to save some weight and hopefully shave a few seconds off my lap times

Last edited by Slopeslider; 10-29-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:08 AM
lmsmith12
AutoX

Nice pics, Fernando! Looks like you are doing a great job of showing that gray GT3, behind you, the correct line.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:11 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Slopeslider
Fernando, I'm with you my favorite kind of Sunday drive. I tracked mine at Roebling Road last weekend. Loads of fun! I do tape mine up to help reduce rock chips and rubber marks. Have you considered tracking without the hardtop? I was thinking about it to save some weight and hopefully shave a few seconds off my lap times
I used to tape mine when I first started and I even had a clear bodywrap that I would stick to the front end but eventually I just gave up. It was too much extra work would start coming off and flapping in the wind.

As for the hardtop, I also used to run without it when I first started to do DEs. Then I bought the hardtop and feel more secure with it on. I know it's only an illusion of safety but the car just feels more solid with it on. Plus it does protect the top from everything flying around out there. Sure it adds 75 pounds but I still don't feel the car is holding me back yet. Once I get more serious about it then I'll consider whether to build this one up into more of a track car or go with something more dedicated.

Originally Posted by lmsmith12
Nice pics, Fernando! Looks like you are doing a great job of showing that gray GT3, behind you, the correct line.
That GT3 had a tremendous driver behind the wheel. In that shot I was only ahead of him for a little while longer before giving him the point-by during the next straightaway. That's ok though as this was my first full session in the advanced solo group. We were mixed in there with instructors and guys with loads of experience. I felt I held my own relatively well considering some of the machines and skill levels that were out there.

All a good time and a tremendous learning experience. I improved my times by about 2-3 seconds from the last session so getting better little by little.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:38 PM
DB's997
Racer

Originally Posted by dotframe
Were you at the PDS on the 20th? I was there as well. Amazing weather that day!
No, I went to the DE on Saturday the 27th at TWS. Great weather and great drive up and back.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:27 PM
dotframe
Pro

Originally Posted by DB's996
No, I went to the DE on Saturday the 27th at TWS. Great weather and great drive up and back.
Ah ok. I like the PDS at TWS since it seems like it is a lot less crowded than the PCA DE's I've spectated. Going to register for my first PCA event there Dec 1-2.

Quick Reply: How to Sunday drive a Porsche 996 Cabrio