Sponsored by:

leak in front end...help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 10:28 AM
C4911
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default leak in front end...help!

My 1999 996 has a small leak under the front end. Not a lot of fluid but something isn't right. Figured if it was in the rear could be oil but the front I have no clue(new owner). The liquid is yellowish and slightly thick but haven't been able to get it to my indy to put on the lift and see exactly where it's coming from. Any ideas would help as I can't get the car to the mechanic until next week. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:30 AM
tnj100
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Coolant, probably from a radiator or one of its fittings. Aside from gasoline, that's pretty much the only fluid in the front end (depending on where you start counting the "front").
Old 10-26-2012, 10:36 AM
C4911
Racer

Between now and when I get the car to the mechanic I don't want to drive it without re-filling what has been lost, no way to tell how much fluid is actually left in the system, is the coolant resevoir under the bonnet?
Old 10-26-2012, 10:42 AM
cuttinsod
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

the coolant reservoir is in the engine bay on the left side (looking from the rear)..it is an opaque container with a (usually) black or blue screw on cap.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,247 Likes on 783 Posts

This car is a C4, right? If so, it could also be that your front differetial is leaking. If this is the case, the leak will look more like an oil leak and you'll see spots on the garage floor in the center, between the front wheels. If your front differential is leaking, then you could need anything from new seals to a differential rebuild.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:46 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

The coolant tank is in the engine compartment on the left side. I agree, a leak from the front of the car is probably coolant if it is ahead of the front wheels, thus a leaking coolant hose or radiator. If it were windshield fluid overfill, it would show up behind the front wheels. You should absolutely check your coolant level before driving the car, and all the other fluid levels as well. Check your owners manual for location of the various check points.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:06 AM
C4911
Racer

If it is differential fluid in my C4, the liquid is between the front wheels, can I add more fluid until I get the car to my indy? Would the car exhibit any symptoms if it required a differential rebuild as opposed to just replacing the seal?
Old 10-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Typically leaking is the first symptom of a differential problem. If you look under the car, you'll see differential fluid/oil on the underbelly of the car. If it's just a few spots on the floor and some oil on the bottom tray, you're probably fine driving it to your mechanic as is. If it's a substantial leak, you might consider getting it towed.

In my case, I started noticing a gear whine and some noises that sounded like a slipping belt coming from the front of the car, especially during downshifting and deceleration. By th time I got mine to the mechanic, the bearings were shot as well as the seals. I've heard of some people only having to replace the seals due to leaks without touching the bearings.

Also - FYI - Porsche considers the front differential to be a non-servicable part. If you do have a differential problem and you take the car to a dealer, they will most likely suggest that they entire front differential needs to be replaced. The part alone is ~$7K. If this is the case, you have other options. A good independent mechanic can rebuild the differential, or you can buy a used one from a Porsche salvage yard or possibly from a turbo owner who has converted his 996 turbo to RWD like a GT2.

Hopefully your issue is coolant rather than the front differential.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:52 PM
C4911
Racer

Would the coolant fluid look similar to transmission fluid?
Old 10-26-2012, 03:43 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Differential oil looks similar to transmission fluid.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:51 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I usually just touch it to my tongue if its sweet its antifreeze,I guess the newer stuff tastes the same lol.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:49 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Sounds like the same problem my father had. We solved it by getting him some Depends.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:53 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Take a sample of your coolant from the plastic coolant filler tank with the blue/black top in the left of the engine bay. Then drop it on the garage floor and compare. Its not poisoness and should taste sweet if you want to taste it. Mine is a yellowish color. If its so low that you cannot see the liquid, then it probably is coolant on the floor. For now simply top it up with water but no higher than half way up the filler tank. You hopefully have a leaking radiator or condensor or hose to either. There are two of each at either side of the front end. If you are a handy DIY guy then theres a video on youtube on how to remove the front end ffrom the 99 996 to clean the crap from between the radiators and condensor grills. Helps the cooling system from over heating plus you can check or change rads or condesors or hoses if the trouble lies there.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:38 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by C4911
If it is differential fluid in my C4, the liquid is between the front wheels, can I add more fluid until I get the car to my indy? Would the car exhibit any symptoms if it required a differential rebuild as opposed to just replacing the seal?
Anti-freeze/coolant is water soluble. Diff fluid, or any oil, is not. Smear some on your finger and dip your finger into a cup of water. If the stuff dissolves in the water its anti-freeze (or possibly windshield washer fluid).

If an oil film appears on the surface of the water odds are it is diff fluid or possibly power steering fluid.

Do a proper check of the coolant level and the power steering fluid and while you're at it the brake fluid level tool

Based on what I was told the times a front diff needs replacing -- and it isn't often -- noise from the diff is the driver's complaint and the only symptom.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:43 AM
williamr91
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Digging up an old thread; the other day (90 plus degrees) I noticed a liquid closer to the drivers front fender than the passenger side, but still pretty much middle. I tasted it and it wasn't sweet or anything, honestly looks just like water. It is close to the cabin, behind the front wheels. Didn't smell like anything, or taste like anything, like coolant or washer fluid would...any ideas? I'm thinking it is 100% water, but from where? To the best of my knowledge we didn't get any rain the few days I noticed so I doubt it is the drain from the sunroof.

Quick Reply: leak in front end...help!