Your help needed on 996 engine noise!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by kromdom
happy ending for you just like him (also a seized alternator...like yours): https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-996-down.html
I don't remember reading the siezed alternator post. Are you sure that's what happened?
Old 10-23-2012, 12:27 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
I don't remember reading the siezed alternator post. Are you sure that's what happened?
I am guessing you did not watch the video posted on FB? https://www.facebook.com/fixabrokensix
Old 10-23-2012, 05:11 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by kromdom

I am guessing you did not watch the video posted on FB? https://www.facebook.com/fixabrokensix
No I didn't. I was only following the RL thread. Thanks for the link. How the hell was this missed by Flat Six, during the phone diagnosys? 6 months ago I helped another 928 owner, over the phone, with a siezed engine issue. First thing I've asked him was to cut all the accesory belts.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:32 PM
cool hand luke
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes kromdom I agree with good my for me , must done something good in past that come back . Karma :-)

Shark Attack I agree the dealer sold new owner and they change the name and under new owner ship, I guess with PR owner got the price of 12K for the reman engine , he decided he was going to think about it,and then nothing happened and just sat for two years then decided he has enough looking at he put it for sale saying it needed new engine, knowing that I bought it, well I got lucky, although I feel bad for Pr owner , I bought not knowing the condition of Car, so I have no guilty feeling about and no bad Karma coming toward me

Imo000 , Yes it hard to seized alternator , I took the alternator for rebuilt and they told me the housing is damaged and can't be rebuilt, so I am assuming , that must be why , it would turn over, I tried when I was buying the car and at home , just click click, nothing , well as soon as I replaced the Alternator and put belt on the car started, although with noise (See the first video) and then it got better and better, and today and I have ZERO noise(see the second video). while replacing the Alternator I broke the oil filler tube, ordered the part and got today and I had to take Alt out again to install that part, my god , it was not hard but no room to work on, anyway two hours later , put everything together save my safe $350 labor cost(dealer price), started her and she ran fine and great :-) the moral story is one should NEVER take dealer words, like it coming from GOD, they are in business to make money, granted NOT all the dealers are the same, but one needs to be sure almost 100% before through in cash if not, in necessary!!!
Old 10-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Beleive it or not, a sized alternator is not that uncommon. Happened to a friend of mine and happened to me too. Neither of them were Porsches but both of our initial reactions were the same " F%&k...the engine is siezed" but then, when we started digging into it, in a systematic way, the real peoblem showed up fairly fast. Since the, if I'm facing a siezed engine, step one is to cut the accesory belt/s and try turning the engine. Then, remove the spark plugs and try turning it again. After that, try to take the clutch/transmission out of the equation and so on.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:22 AM
cool hand luke
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep Imo000 I could not agree with more

Quick Reply: Your help needed on 996 engine noise!!!