Sponsored by:

Amateur motor rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 11:02 AM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Amateur motor rebuild

Anyone here know if it's feasible for an amateur to rebuild a 996/997 motor? Are the tools available/needed?

Thinking about taking this on as a winter project. I have a 17 bay garage and 4 mechanics to lean on for help but none have ever rebuilt a porsche motor.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:31 AM
Quix
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Atr,
Use the "search" function: A member called Logray has several well-documented posts about his rebuild saga. He includes lots of good pictures and commentary along the way. Also consider becoming a paying member as this community will be able to provide more help than you can imagine.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:32 AM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am jealous of that set up.

If i recall correctly, there were at least 1-2 people that have done the DIY rebuild.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:33 AM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the heads up. I was a paying member for years. Let it lapse.

Ill check him out.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by atr911
Anyone here know if it's feasible for an amateur to rebuild a 996/997 motor? Are the tools available/needed?

Thinking about taking this on as a winter project. I have a 17 bay garage and 4 mechanics to lean on for help but none have ever rebuilt a porsche motor.

What others said.

But IIRC Jake Raby is rumored to be issuing a book soon on these engines and it might prove to be a worthwhile addition to the toolbox of anyone contemplating rebuilding one of these engines.

I do not know if there's anything on this book yet at his company's web site:

http://www.flat6innovations.com/

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:40 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,887 Likes on 2,891 Posts

Originally Posted by atr911

i'd listen to my daughters pet fish:
Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2012, 04:16 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is possible. I did it, and there are others out there who have done it. The work I did documenting and posting here doesn't paint the full picture and is no where close to being a step by step guide.

I wouldn't even consider doing it as an ameteur unless you are very mechanically inclined, have prior engine experience, have tons of money and spare time, and are prepared for ultimate failure and waste of your money and time.

In fact, in retrospect, I would have been better off sending my car to Jake, for about another $8k on top of what I spent I could have had heads ported, a warranty, bearings and cams cryo'ed and coated, and the peace of mind knowing that it was done by the utmost expert on these engines. That being said, I have to say it was a really fun experience, I would do it again in a heartbeat given the time. I have 5 driver events and 6000 miles on the rebuilt engine... the only thing I've done since April is put air in the tires and change the oil once. Other than that, just get in, turn the key and enjoy the fun pedal, it has truly been a worry and trouble free experience once I completed the rebuild.

Honestly though, my story might be an exception to the rule and your best chance of success if you want to DIY is to attend one of Raby's seminars before diving in...
Old 10-14-2012, 08:48 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Shouldn't have any issues with the mechanical side. Never done a complete rebuild but I've swapped motors and done top end rebuilds and what not. Also, as mentioned, I have a 40 year VW/Audi tech, 47 year general mechanic and a 15 year Mercedes guy that I employ at my shop so there's no lack of knowledge among us.

My question was more in terms of tools required to do the job properly. I have the factory service manuals but they call for many special tools. Some I'm sure I can do without but others I may have to fab/purchase.

I'll look for some of your threads though, sounds interesting!
Old 10-15-2012, 04:20 PM
Apex996
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts

>> Anyone here know if it's feasible for an amateur to rebuild a 996/997 motor?

I'm doing it. First flat 6 I've tried. Doing a 3.6L first and then a 3.4L. Whichever one isn't in pieces after I'm done goes back in the car

Go for it! Sounds like you have the resources.
Attached Images      
Old 10-15-2012, 05:03 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

A user named billyboy (local to me) is doing one as well. He broke a cam chain and has started a thread.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:59 PM
infrasilver
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What are your reasons for the rebuild, just for the hell of it or do you have an issue?

I've just completed a rebuild on my 3.6 996 after I had a similar failure to billbob's with the cam chain snapping on bank 1-3, I was on track at the time it failed so consequently I got a lot more damage than billybobs.
It took me 3 months working at weekends to get it fixed and I managed to do it with limited space and mostly basic tools, I made one of my own and had the engine timing set at my local indie.
Some of you may already of seen this but this is the link to the thread over on the 911uk site if you haven't, http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=74946

It sounds like you have the ideal place for a rebuild and its only an engine at the end of the day?
Old 10-15-2012, 07:40 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Once you get a hang of it, they are not that difficult to figure out. One bolt at a time, and you'll get there.

Start the teardown and if you hit a snag, see what special tool you need to gk passed it. Then decide if you want to make or buy that tool.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Apex996
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts

If you've built engines before this is not much different. Quite a bit simpler than what some on this forum might have you believe. After all, most 15 year old kids know how to rebuild Subaru boxer's don't they?

Infra... I'm building the first one to learn and the second one will be built for more POWER.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:50 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Yeah, it's funny how a little inexperience can get you though. Example: I pulled the cams without using the proper procedure. Ill have to get them inspected now. Shortly after, I turned the engine on the stand some of the hydraulic lifters fell out (they're supposed to go back in the same hole they came out of). GAH.

Tomorrow I think I'm going to split the case and see what kind of damage there REALLY is. I may be abandoning this if there's crank damage as they aren't easy to come by and oversized bearings aren't available.

Either way, this has been FUN
Old 10-16-2012, 09:52 AM
infrasilver
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

atr911, what is your engine failure? As you've already found out there is a lot to learn, but the best way to learn without mistakes is to read as much as possible before every step.

Porsche do stipulate that the lifters are noted from where they came for replacement but I had to buy 10 new ones so this made it impossible to put them all back in their original position.
You really need to take lots of pictures and label/bag everything even if its not going back in the engine because you are renewing, don't discard broken parts before you've finished the build, you may need them for reference. I nearly made the mistake of fitting a head before I'd fitted one of the crank cage bolts but because I did a mock up trial I realized I'd not fitted it, luckily doing this saved me a head gasket and 12 head bolts.
Another mistake I made was not tightening the crank case together quickly enough, allowing the Loctite sealant to go off before it was fully torqued, (bolts should be torqued within 5 minutes of fitting the sealant) I had to take the crank case apart and start again.

You WILL enjoy the build though, very satisfying doing it yourself, I will also add its not for everyone to just go ahead and rebuild, you will need some relevant experience, there are a few points along the way that'll trip you up if not careful.

Quick Reply: Amateur motor rebuild