Sponsored by:

Car reset procedure

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 10:23 AM
coonsporsche
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car reset procedure

I have a 2001 996, Carrera 4, I just bought it and didn't relize that the battery in the key fob was dead. While driving it the car battery died. The top was down and it rained hard for about 15 min. I replaced both batteries and have full power to the dash, the radio and windshield wipers work, but the top, windows, hood release, engine compartment release all don't function. Also the engine wont start. I think the car is immobilized because it thinks its stolen. Does anybody have a way to reset the alarm immobilizer? Or is there another solution?

Last edited by coonsporsche; 10-07-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by coonsporsche
I have a 2001 996, Carrera 4, I just bought it and didn't relize that the battery in the key fob was dead. While driving it the car battery died. The top was down and it rained hard for about 15 min. I replaced both batteries and have full power to the dash, the radio and windshield wipers work, but the top, windows, hood release, engine compartment release all don't function. Also the engine wont start. I think the car is immobilized because it thinks its stolen. Does anybody have a way to reset the alarm immobilizer? Or is there another solution?
I assume before you bought the car you confirmed everything worked ok?

So, the engine was running and then things got wet then things stopped working right.

The battery in the key fob has nothing to do with the engine's inability to start.

The RFID pill in the key fob is the key.

There is a critical electronic control on the floorboard under one of the seats that is at risk of getting wet if any water gets into the cabin. When this gets wet all sorts of things happen.

More directly to the issue of the engine not starting, there is a radio transceiver in the dash that communicates with the RFID pill in the key fob.

If this communication doesn't happen due to in your car's case because the in dash transceiver got wet/damaged then the engine will not start.

There is no immobilzer reset I'm aware of that can be done by someone without access to the proper test equipment and the factory link up for security codes.

With the proper diagnostics computer available at a Porsche dealer the car's security system controllers can be queried for any problems, error codes and the reason for the car's behavior determined.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:35 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,163 Likes on 743 Posts

Agree with everything Macster said to check...plus, replace your battery (you said it was dead and dead batteries cause all kinds of strange malfunctions), check all fuses, make sure the DME is bone dry (under the seat), you may have to pull out the carpeting and get everything dry before you can properly diagnose. Once you get it started check your charging system. If you have done all this and it still doesn't work, take it to the dealer as Macster suggested for a full diagnoses.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:31 PM
b8_rdc
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

DME on cab I believe is under the convertible top. Check the blue 15A mini blade fuse on the box under the driver seat.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:27 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,163 Likes on 743 Posts

Re-reading your post...correction...I see you replaced both batteries so the problems lies elsewhere. Mcaster is right, the transponder pill is in the key head. Battery dead or alive in the key head, it will work. Are you using the right key? What does it do when you try to start it? Does it clunk (start to turn over) or just do nothing....do the dash warning lights light up? Do you have power (12V) to the jumper post in the trunk?
Old 11-11-2012, 03:36 PM
jimpauli
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Similar Problem

Replaced immobilizer. Car now locks, but does not start. I turn the key, all the diagnostic lights come on, battery is charged, but no starter motor sound, no clicking. Does the RFID pill have to be reprogrammed to start the car? The service manager at the dealer thought the car should start with the old key. Is he wrong? Can they reprogram the old keys or do I need to buy new electronic pills?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 11-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by jimpauli
Replaced immobilizer. Car now locks, but does not start. I turn the key, all the diagnostic lights come on, battery is charged, but no starter motor sound, no clicking. Does the RFID pill have to be reprogrammed to start the car? The service manager at the dealer thought the car should start with the old key. Is he wrong? Can they reprogram the old keys or do I need to buy new electronic pills?

Thanks,

Jim
Based on what you write I believe what now needs to be done is the key IDs need to be introduced to the new security module to allow the engine to start/run. Also to allow the door lock/unlock functions to work.

I have bought new keys (just the heads -- I've worn out several now) and each time I take the car and the keys to the dealer. The tech removes the old key ID from the security system and puts in the new key's ID. This is necessary because there is a limited number of key ID slots (4 in the case of my Boxster IIRC).

Quick Reply: Car reset procedure