Kazual99
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh my!!!!
Old 12-09-2012, 07:16 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Meh most of the time DIY spray car wash. Occasionally sponge with two buckets and maybe claybar and whatever wax I have sitting around. I bought it to drive it, not to spend 5 hours out of my weekend rubbing it with who knows what.

Swirlies come from people running their cars through a regular car wash; take that out of the equation and you're 99% there.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:08 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by halik
Meh most of the time DIY spray car wash. Occasionally sponge with two buckets and maybe claybar and whatever wax I have sitting around. I bought it to drive it, not to spend 5 hours out of my weekend rubbing it with who knows what.

Swirlies come from people running their cars through a regular car wash; take that out of the equation and you're 99% there.
I find swirls can come from many sources such as drying the car with a chamois is there is a little dirt in the chamois or on the car and you rub it in then you will get swirls on a black car water spots are also problems, brushing snow off a car, washing with dirty water etc.

Don't get me wrong, I will use the pressure washer at work to rinse off, but about once a month I will take the time to properly wash my my car. Clay Bar is only twice a year, once in spring after the gravel is off the roads and once to help with paint protection before the snow falls
Old 03-19-2022, 04:28 PM
Roofless 1
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Tim,

I face the same challenge with my Midnight Blue Metallic C4S. I can get it swirl-free with the polisher, but the swirl marks do come back quickly. I've found that the following things have made a big difference:

- Make sure to use the "two bucket" method when you wash (one soapy water, one clean rinse water). Make sure there are dirt traps or screens in the bottom of your buckets.
- Make sure to use a clean wash mitt - which it sounds like you do. I love the Adams merino wool wash mitt.
- Don't use microfiber towels or rags to dry the car. I have found these to really create swirl marks quickly. I use drying towels from either Griot's Garage or Adam's Polishes and they work very well.
- Use Adam's Paint Glaze after you have polished out the swirl marks and before you wax. This stuff is like magic.
- Use spray wax after each wash to keep your wax fresh and keep swirl marks down.

These are my best suggestions. They work pretty well. Overall though, I agree with you - this car is the most difficult to keep swirl-free of any car I've ever owned.
Call me old fashioned, but a damp, clean, real chamois leather pad… unfolded and spread flat, then dragged across the surface by two adjacent corners will remove 95% of the water droplets and prevent spotting… Wring the chamois out when soaked and keep going. I start with the windows to get it evenly wet. Rinse the chamois out when done and hang it in the shade to dry and it will give you years of excellent service (i.e. don’t roll it up wet, it will rot and develop that special 3-days locked in the washing machine aroma).
The following users liked this post:
Jengah (03-19-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 11:05 AM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

Received 1,452 Likes on 696 Posts

Holy 10 year thread bumpage. Technology has really changed over this time period.

you sir are old fashioned. Done use a chamois please. Korean loop drying towel is the best bet.

For me, one phone call to AAPP and done. All American Paint Protection in Rockville Md
f

Last edited by 168glhs1986; 03-21-2022 at 11:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 168glhs1986:
playswithcars (03-21-2022), Roofless 1 (03-21-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 04:20 PM
playswithcars
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 65 Posts

Chamois? Yikes! That's what I used back in the 80s when I didn't know any better!
Yes, Korean microfiber drying towel or an electric air drying tool (NOT a leaf blower!).
My go-to is to spray the clean car when still wet with Adams Polishes H2O Guard and Gloss, then wipe with a double soft microfiber towel soaked in hot water.
Dries the paint off without any streaks or spots and provides protection until the next wash!
Disregard the headlight covers, old picture, they are gone!

Old 03-21-2022, 09:05 PM
Roofless 1
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the wake up call!

I might have to try some of this new fangled detailing dognology. I just watched a twisted microfiber demo online - pretty impressive.

Not sure how the microfiber will look, tailored into a pair of lederhosen for car wash day though... the neighbors may prefer my traditional canary yellow chamois leather number - hard to beat real leather!!!

And noted re the decadal bump - I will read the fine print more closely next time.
The following 2 users liked this post by Roofless 1:
168glhs1986 (03-22-2022), playswithcars (03-21-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 07:40 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 82 Posts

Chamois shaming...HAHA

I would not do this today but I used a P21S synthetic drying chamois for years with great results...as long as I did my part and removed all traces of dirt during the wash, it did not mar the paint. Of course, I think this synthetic chamois was easier on the paint than a real genuine chamois.
Old 03-23-2022, 01:38 PM
Willys 47
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 61 Posts

I actually use the griots top cleaner in a Bissel little green machine. Followed up by their fabric top sealer. Does nice job on carpet and mats as well.

Quick Reply: How do you detail?