Sponsored by:

How do you detail?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
Next, wash the car using dish soap (like Dawn...but very little) with warm water.
Dish detergent is pretty harsh. If you're going to use it, I wouldn't use it too often. It's made to clean grease off of plates...not dust and grime off of a car. Maybe once at the beginning of the Spring season just to get all of the crud off of a car that accumulated over the Winter months (assuming you're driving in the Winter and in inclement weather) but paint prep and then a clay bar after washing would probably be a better solution to removing contaminants.

Now, if you happened to drive through a plate of spaghetti and meatballs...

Back to the original post, I tend to try different products for washing and polishing but when it comes to wax, I really like Pinnacle Souveran. A tub of it isn't super cheap (it's about $100) but it goes on very easily and, best of all, it comes off with little to no effort and it doesn't seem to stain rubber and plastics if you get a little overzealous in your application. It looks paricularly awesome on black and red cars but I love it on my grey cars, too. Oh, and not that you should choose a wax based on the way it smells but it smells great, too.

-Eric
Old 10-03-2012, 06:06 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm another new 996 owner and I wanted to treat it right. I researched quite a bit and landed with Adam's. I bought the whole kit which was a little over $300. I figured I get supplies to do it 10 times rather than paying one company to do it once for me. Anyway, I am VERY pleased with the results. After claying, swirl remover, etc etc, it looks awesome. I did it over two days, but could do it in about 4 hours if I had to.

My wife loved it so much I'd catch her just feeling up the 996 as she walked by it in the garage. I got jealous, so I did the same treatment to her car, so she can feel that up.

Two questions for the others:

1) Cab owners - what top treatment do you use?

2) What kind of cheese doodles do you guys eat...that sounds like a pretty good combo.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by jdjones2010
Most of your swirl marks come from when you're drying your car off! I haven't seen anybody mention it yet but I've always heard its best to use a leaf blower to dry your car off as much as possible & then just wipe off what lil' bit's left. Its always worked for me, I don't have any swirl marks & my car's Black! jmo
Agreed - especially if you use microfiber towels.

I use an air blower to get water out of tight spots like under the door handles, inside the mirrors, etc. It works really well.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Slopeslider
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I started using the Griot's system clay bar, polish and best in show wax with the orbital. A lot of work but it yeilds stunning results. I am fancying the idea brought up earlier of hiring someone's naked wife to polish it for me .
Old 10-04-2012, 12:09 AM
jdjones2010
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Agreed - especially if you use microfiber towels.

I use an air blower to get water out of tight spots like under the door handles, inside the mirrors, etc. It works really well.
Dennis, it was really hard to imagine microfiber towels doing it but believe me they will. And I would think most guys have a leaf blower but if you don't, its even better & I know most of you have an air compressor, just change out the bit & use it & its even better to get up in all the tiny cracks Dennis is talking about. And all this mess about the naked wife, mistress & cheez doodles unless you can produce pics then we need to nip this in the bud, BUT if you CAN produce pics then I imagine this thread will go on & on & on & on, well you get the idea! jmo
Old 10-04-2012, 09:06 AM
Bass Man
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Meguires Paint Cleaner
Meguires deep crystal polish
Meguires Gold Class Canuba Wax.
Meguires Quick Detailer ( if it's a bit dusty)

Armor all Wheel Cleaner
Meguires hot Shine tyre spray

Meguires Gold Class leather conditioner for the interior

And she loves it!
Old 10-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Microfiber towels are the worst! I agree.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:51 PM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by keytohwy
I got jealous, so I did the same treatment to her car, so she can feel that up.

Two questions for the others:

1) Cab owners - what top treatment do you use?

I use RaggTopp for mine. Make sure you get the RaggTopp Fabric Protectant which is for fabric or cloth tops, which contains wax. I do clean first with the fabric / vinyl cleaner.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:17 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by babylonboots
I use RaggTopp for mine. Make sure you get the RaggTopp Fabric Protectant which is for fabric or cloth tops, which contains wax. I do clean first with the fabric / vinyl cleaner.
Danke
Old 10-05-2012, 04:48 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Microfiber towels are the worst! I agree.
You have found that high quality microfiber towels scratch a clean car? I have never noticed this to be the case. In fact, I was under the distinct impression that they are the best/safest thing to use on auto paint.

Of course, this assumes that the surface is clean(or otherwise well lubed) as any grit trapped between the towel and the paint could leave scratches.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:55 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
You have found that high quality microfiber towels scratch a clean car? I have never noticed this to be the case. In fact, I was under the distinct impression that they are the best/safest thing to use on auto paint.

Of course, this assumes that the surface is clean(or otherwise well lubed) as any grit trapped between the towel and the paint could leave scratches.

Yeah I tend to agree with this. The only time it should scratch the surface is if your towels or the surface isn't clean. After all many have been using a traditional towel before microfiber towels came along just fine on all their show cars.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:06 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Originally Posted by alpine003
Yeah I tend to agree with this. The only time it should scratch the surface is if your towels or the surface isn't clean. After all many have been using a traditional towel before microfiber towels came along just fine on all their show cars.
Yeah, I know many guys swear by 100% cotton fiber towels but the problem with this is that many supposed 100% cotton towels actually contain plastic fibers which WILL scratch the paint.

Again, I have always been under the impression that microfiber towels were the next best thing to sliced bread when it comes to auto detailing. I have never heard that a good quality microfiber towel, in and of itself, will harm auto paint in any way.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:28 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by babylonboots
Aerospace 303 works very well also, available at marine stores. But whatever top treatment you use, don't spray it on, that stuff makes a mess of your paint. Just use a disposable foam brush to brush it on. And in this case, more is more. When properly treated, the top should bead water just like the paint does.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera

I have used very high quality microfiber towels from Griot's Garage and from other sources. I've found that they work very well without scratches the first time that you use them. Once they get washed, it's over. They leave swirl marks and scratches with even light pressure. You can see the scratches immediately as soon as you wipe the towel over the surface of the car. I'm not sure if it's detergent or something else that gets trapped in them, but I don't have this issue with the drying towels/cloths that I use now. I won't go back to microfiber.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:44 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

I have used very high quality microfiber towels from Griot's Garage and from other sources. I've found that they work very well without scratches the first time that you use them. Once they get washed, it's over. They leave swirl marks and scratches with even light pressure. You can see the scratches immediately as soon as you wipe the towel over the surface of the car. I'm not sure if it's detergent or something else that gets trapped in them, but I don't have this issue with the drying towels/cloths that I use now. I won't go back to microfiber.

Ouch!!! Luckily I have not experienced this with any of my cars.

What are you using now? 100% cotton towels?

Quick Reply: How do you detail?