Sponsored by:

2000 996 Cab Top Won't go up....again

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Parry
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 996 Cab Top Won't go up....again

I've had recurrent problem with my roof not going up and down. It was the emergency brake switch one time, but it continues to dog me.

A few questions...in a pinch how hard is it to get that top up manually? I went through the manual and it looks painful. Second, anybody have any trouble shooting tips? I've played with the E brake (and the E brake light is on).

thanks
Old 10-02-2012, 11:09 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

If you have a Durametric cable (or access to one), it will tell you why the top won't move.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:48 PM
mdhogan5
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it moving at all? We've been having trouble as it approached full down, or right after it starts to come up. Turns out the liner on the passenger side is loose and jamming in the "scissors" mechanism. Going to the upholstery shop this week.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:33 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I had problems with mine but its fine now. If by any chance it starts just one time to go up or down, stop it half way into whats called the 'service mode position'. Then feel under the rear window for a thin wire cable either side. This simply clicks off a kind of ball joint and the window part can then be moved out of the way towards the front of the car and the rear carpet part on the rear window sill can be easily removed via 4 plastic clip outs with a small screw driver for further inspection of all working parts to the cab top. Takes 5 minutes to do that. Check the plastic covering part of the hook at the front where it clicks into the windcreen. If the plastic is chipped or part is missing, it needs replacing. Look for what I call the 2 alien eyes on the front mechanism and click them out with a small screw driver. Inside check that the 2 screws are tight so the front where the hook goes into the micro switch it not moving. Check that all arms to the little wings of the cab top at the rear either side are secured. I had one fall off and it was easy to put back with a new clip. Don't move the top manually if it can be avoided, as then you will have to have it re programmed by a Porche Dealer or the toggle switch on the dash wont work again. That info comes from the owners manual. Hey stick with it. I did and got it working every time for the past 2 months. Mines a daily driver and I use the top up and down several times every day.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Have you topped off the hydro fluid? Mine had the same problem and that took care of it. Lots of DIY threads on the topic. Good luck!
Old 10-08-2012, 01:30 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Maybe a "Smart Top" module will help?
http://eagleday.stores.yahoo.net/neen996cabro.html

Quick Reply: 2000 996 Cab Top Won't go up....again