Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Oxygen sensor failure after water pump change?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 01:18 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 597 Likes on 459 Posts

When removing the cats to replace the water pump (or at any time), it's not that difficult to impact the O2 sensor and damage it because it sticks out prominently...
Old 10-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by drh
Not hard at all. Just unplug the connectors, un-screw the O2 sensor from the exhaust (near the cat) and then work backwards with the new sensor.

This stuff is easy and there really is no reason to pay someone else's husband to un-clip and un-screw something you can do with standard everyday tools.
They are only easy if the threads are not covered in carbon. When that happens, it will pull the threads out and make a simple job, a headache.

All O2s fit a 22mm, but there are specific O2 sockets that should be used if the you don't wan to cut the old wire off. These sockets are around $10 and there are two different styles. If you are not planning on re using the old sensor, just cut the connector off and put the box end of the 22mm wrench on it. Once it's cracked loose, it should almost come out by hand. If there is a lot of resistance, go back and forth and use WD40 (or something similar).
Old 10-27-2012, 03:30 PM
tcc
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ok great advice guys. as it happens, drove out of the garage this morning....and the light was no longer lit! -_- . Does that imply something was loose? tank of bad gas? ( i only use 94 oct). Or is this maybe a lucky reprieve? Oy.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:28 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

My WAG is it is a temporary reprieve.

That it occurs suggests a marginal connection that is a sensor connector not fully inserted/secure in the mating wiring harness connector.

Have you been under the car with a bright light looking at the sensor or senors pinpointed by the error code(s)?

Look for any signs of the sensor being knocked about, finger prints or a real clean sensor (wiped off), wrench marks that suggest the thing was handled maybe removed to be "cleaned" or when installed possibly the wrong thread lube used.

Give a check of the connections and that the sensor wiring is routed correctly.

Unless the car was in the shop for months or you had to blow cobwebs away from the gas pump to fill up the last time I'm thinking bad gas is not likely.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:20 PM
tcc
Pro

thanks for all the help here. will report.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:40 PM
tcc
Pro

Originally Posted by tcc
ok will find out monday, are these hard to access? your opinion, I respect
So, weeks later, we get to the bottom of the CEL that popped up suddenly. The diagnosis is a faulty MAF sensor. I am told that this item has to be sourced from the factory in Germany (!!) Not sure why they can't just go to Pelican. They're giving me a $1500 estimate for fix. I will report.

TC
Old 11-21-2012, 05:59 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

MAF can be bought from Pelican and you can do easily yourself.
I had the same problem years ago and the new MAF fixed it.
About $300
Old 11-21-2012, 06:08 PM
drh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcc
So, weeks later, we get to the bottom of the CEL that popped up suddenly. The diagnosis is a faulty MAF sensor. I am told that this item has to be sourced from the factory in Germany (!!) Not sure why they can't just go to Pelican. They're giving me a $1500 estimate for fix. I will report.

TC
LOL...you can buy a MAF for ~$280 and install it in less than 5-minutes if you are a slow poke.

Contact Kevin
https://rennlist.com/forums/members/1437-kevin.html
Old 11-21-2012, 06:24 PM
tcc
Pro

Originally Posted by drh
LOL...you can buy a MAF for ~$280 and install it in less than 5-minutes if you are a slow poke.

Contact Kevin
https://rennlist.com/forums/members/1437-kevin.html
Hmm.. that's truly disquieting...
Thanks guys. Inadequacy is expensive.

Quick Reply: Oxygen sensor failure after water pump change?