996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Alignment issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 12:43 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you hit a pothole hard enough, it can get the rim off from the hub. I had that happen on both my 335 and my TT. A good wheel shop can fix it if it isnt to bad.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:29 PM
DB's997
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pics of the "other" wheel. I thought it was OK, but you can see the cord showing on the inside edge, just like the bad one that blew out. This tire has lots of tread on it, the blown tire was bald. Alignment? Heck yeah!

Last edited by DB's997; 09-22-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:23 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep. that's probably an alignment problem, but if your rims aren't true, that could be exacerbating the problem.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:53 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by DB's996
Pics of the "other" wheel. I thought it was OK, but you can see the cord showing on the inside edge, just like the bad one that blew out. This tire has lots of tread on it, the blown tire was bald. Alignment? Heck yeah!
This tire doesn't have any tread left on it. Look where the wear bars are. Keep in mind that at these very low tread depths, performance and more importantly, safety, goes down dramatically. Once you hit the wear bars, you are past what most consider safe on a performance tire or any tire for that matter.

Two new tires and an alignment and you will be really happy. I am always amazed how much difference a proper alignment makes relative to my enjoyment of my car.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:09 PM
DB's997
Racer

Relative to the other completely bald tire, this one does have tread left. Why would the passenger tire be bald and this one not completely bald. Regardless, I am taking her to Momentum Porsche as soon as possible. As far as I know, this 996 has never had an alignment. I have complete history from Momentum Porsche and there is no idication of an alignment. This car had less than 20K on her when purchased in March 2011 and only 10K put on her in the previous 10 years. I have put 20K miles on her since March 2011.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:48 PM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Relative to the other completely bald tire, this one does have tread left. Why would the passenger tire be bald and this one not completely bald. Regardless, I am taking her to Momentum Porsche as soon as possible. As far as I know, this 996 has never had an alignment. I have complete history from Momentum Porsche and there is no idication of an alignment. This car had less than 20K on her when purchased in March 2011 and only 10K put on her in the previous 10 years. I have put 20K miles on her since March 2011.
Open diff and possibly a camber issue on the passenger side. Note that toe errors usually wear both tires in the same way. Macster's comments apply.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:19 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Also, FYI, read Michelins fine print on their mileage warranty. PS2s only have a 20k mile warranty if all 4 tires are the same size and have been rotated. That is why Costco (who by far has the lowest prices for PS2s, and come with the Road Hazard warranty) always includes life of tire rotations. If the tires can't be rotated, like all our Porsches, their warranty on all tires is 1/2, so ours is 10k miles. So you did good, even with the bad alignment (which I agree with, too much toe).
Old 09-25-2012, 09:36 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would suggest an alignment, does not need to be porsche mechanic, since Porsches are very easy to align. I would suggest taking it to someone who is able to know what is it you require from your vehicle. Be particular on the specs you want, make sure they hit those specs. If you look further back in the 996 forum we went through porsche alignments in a decent bit of detail with a guy not satisfied with the feel of his Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:38 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

here's the link to the thread

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=89287
Old 09-25-2012, 10:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

As I mentioned the open diff combined with the fact turns are primarily to the right (USA cars anyhow) coupled with the fact right hand turns are generally sharper than left hand turns and the car most often experiences the hardest acceleration during a right hand turn the right hand rear tire will experience more wear.

Additionally differences in side to side tire wear can arise from asymmetrical misalignment.

In the case of my Boxster when the right rear tire's sidewall brushed a curb when I had the car aligned after installing new tires the toe of the right rear wheel was affected more than the toe of the left rear wheel.

Get new tires installed. Get the car properly aligned. Be sure you ask for and get before and after numbers. I think from the numbers you'll gain some appreciation for how far out the alignment was.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:51 AM
DB's997
Racer

Back from Momentum Porsche with an all wheel alignment. Sure enough! Rears were out of spec.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Alignment issues?