996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Turn signal issue pt2

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 11:40 AM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 79 Posts

Awesome video. Thanks to Bill Gates for creating the internet. Oh yeah, and Al Gore.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:54 PM
CDLVancouver
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the detailed description fpb111. I knew of the youtube vid but nice to read as well.
My column switch was delivered last week so ill be putting er in sometime soon.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:47 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

On my 2003 the side screws were small phillips head.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:05 PM
MOVENU
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely, thanks for that information! I see people mentioning getting there lever from sunset. Isn't that a porsche dealer in California? If that is the case do they ship and would they be any better than getting the lever set from my local porsche dealer?
Old 12-30-2012, 01:46 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MOVENU
Absolutely, thanks for that information! I see people mentioning getting there lever from sunset. Isn't that a porsche dealer in California? If that is the case do they ship and would they be any better than getting the lever set from my local porsche dealer?
My local dealer wanted $399 + tax and wouldn't even talk about price matching.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:13 AM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

My turn signals are fine however my cruise has not worked for a few years. The green light won't go on when the button is depressed on the stalk. Thoughts as to what it could be?
Old 12-30-2012, 11:32 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
My turn signals are fine however my cruise has not worked for a few years. The green light won't go on when the button is depressed on the stalk. Thoughts as to what it could be?
brake light(s) out? Clutch micro switch, not the starter lockout, the other one, Fuse. Does your car have the clutch helper spring removed?
Old 12-31-2012, 09:48 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by fpb111
brake light(s) out? Clutch micro switch, not the starter lockout, the other one, Fuse. Does your car have the clutch helper spring removed?
All brake lights are lit, helper spring still in and the fuses are all good. Tell me about this micro switch.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:25 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...ions-are-they/
Want to figure out the function of switches attached to clutch pedal.

PPl said the micro switch no. 16 in the diagram is for the starter circuit, How about switch no. 17 attached to the clutch pedal.

Can anyone tell me what is this switch for??

#16 was already circled in this pic.

answer = DME-Cruise control-TC, that kind of stuff.
Attached Images  

Last edited by fpb111; 01-01-2013 at 02:27 AM. Reason: added info
Old 05-09-2013, 03:15 PM
yank_my_chain
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anybody know if it is possible to disassemble and clean the switches within the indicator and wiper switch assembly? When I push the stalk down for a left-hand turn, the turn signal will sometimes not flash. If I push down a little harder, it works. Makes me think I might just be able to clean the switch contacts to get it working properly. The stalk does stay in position until I complete the turn and then disengages properly. Thanks!
Old 05-09-2013, 04:33 PM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Replace is relatively easy. Just be sure to follow the video very carefully. You will need to disconnect battery because you are removing airbag module. Need a t30 driver to do that , that is short enough to fit behind the wheel. I found a husky kit at home deport for $10 that did the job .. Don't try to use Philips or Allen .. U might damage the screw.

Also mark steering wheel on column position very well and depth of switch as shown in video ... I assembled things back at wrong height the first time and had to do again. Use good tape on clock spring module ... If it comes apart you can rewind the ribbon tape back in- but it is pita ...

My cruise light now come on also .., I think bad contact in old switch .. But I also had to twist out clutch position switch (no screws - just twist 90 degrees) .. Pull out 1cm or so ( pull on the black plastic at end that touches the clutch pedal) these are adjustable and mine was pushed all the way in so switch wasn't moving ....
Old 02-27-2014, 02:25 PM
RobJBoxster
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster Issue same as the one described in the OP

Greetings guys. The issue that I am having with my 01' Boxster is exactly the same as the problem described below in the original post for this thread. I am assuming that replacing the steering column switch would be the fix? Does anyone have any idea whether the steering column area of a Boxster and Carrera to be essentially the same? I am going to use the video submitted by FPB111 as a guide if this is the case. Thanks in advance.

Original post is below.

This has nothing to do with the bulbs are electrical but rather the indicator lever up at the steering wheel.
For right hand turns i have to hold the indicto in place...it doesnt "click" into position. For left hand turns, it will click into position but after the turn the indicator will not return to n until i manually click it back.
This just happened last week...i have no idea how. The computer lever works totally fine.
Is my indicator toast or has it "slipped" out of position and just needs to be taken apart and reset/repositioned??
Ill attempt to take it apart tomorrow.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:46 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Eh, in South Florida indicators just give away what you are going to and in what direction do to other drivers. So, nobody uses them
Old 02-27-2014, 05:44 PM
CDLVancouver
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RobJBoxster
Greetings guys. The issue that I am having with my 01' Boxster is exactly the same as the problem described below in the original post for this thread. I am assuming that replacing the steering column switch would be the fix? Does anyone have any idea whether the steering column area of a Boxster and Carrera to be essentially the same? I am going to use the video submitted by FPB111 as a guide if this is the case. Thanks in advance.
not sure if its the same, but the video is pretty good and i used it as my guide. i made a note on that video comment as well. which was to the effect of: my to t bolts were 30 and 27 (which took hours and tons of swearing to finally figure out....its tight in there too o that compounds the frustration factors!)...and the other was that in my 02 there was another switch in there but no big deal.
and yes, be sure to align the steering wheel and mark it properly before removing as its a lot of fidgeting to get it back to being in the proper position.
biggest pita...the little rubber pieces at the ends of the indicator levers....
other than that it was a decent diy
Old 02-27-2014, 10:21 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

They are the same.

Quick Reply: Turn signal issue pt2