Sponsored by:

Turn signal issue pt2

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 03:51 AM
CDLVancouver
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Turn signal issue pt2

This has nothing to do with the bulbs are electrical but rather the indicator lever up at the steering wheel.
For right hand turns i have to hold the indicto in place...it doesnt "click" into position. For left hand turns, it will click into position but after the turn the indicator will not return to n until i manually click it back.
This just happened last week...i have no idea how. The computer lever works totally fine.
Is my indicator toast or has it "slipped" out of position and just needs to be taken apart and reset/repositioned??
Ill attempt to take it apart tomorrow.
Tia
Old 09-22-2012, 04:16 AM
kent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car has the same problem, After my researching, I found that I need to replace the steering wheel column switch, which is selling about $290 in eBay recently. I hope I can find a cheaper one.
Take it apart does not help.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:25 AM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a perfectly good switch from a 99 in my garage. pm me if that will work for you.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:33 PM
kent
Racer

Originally Posted by MarkM
I have a perfectly good switch from a 99 in my garage. pm me if that will work for you.
That's a good news, do you have the part number?
Thanks bro
Old 09-22-2012, 02:31 PM
OGWGFIW
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Suncoast quoted me $237.50 or my 03. There are variations in the switches. Others have stated they got their switches for $205 from Sunset. I took the advice given here that it is not worth buying a used one and don't regret it.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:41 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

Yes, there are variations in the switches. Make sure you get the right one. The parts guy at Sunset helped me select.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:11 PM
CDLVancouver
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well that sucks!
Thanks for the input though!
Does anyone know how this happens? I hate little annoying glitches like this
Old 09-22-2012, 04:17 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

I was told that there is a small plastic tab that breaks over time
Old 09-23-2012, 04:18 AM
jdjones2010
Pro

Originally Posted by CDLVancouver
Well that sucks!
Thanks for the input though!
Does anyone know how this happens? I hate little annoying glitches like this
Well you better get used to it owning a Porsche (at least a 996) ! ANY thing & I mean ANY thing & the CEL comes ON, & from most of my experiences they're a PIA to get them to go OFF! jmo
Old 09-24-2012, 10:20 AM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

part # 99661321700, from a 99C2

PM me if interested.
Attached Images  
Old 09-28-2012, 12:12 AM
jims911
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Kent, what's the story with those little LED's in your front air inlets? They look awesome. Where are they from and were they easy to install?
Old 09-28-2012, 05:32 PM
kent
Racer

Originally Posted by jims911
Hey Kent, what's the story with those little LED's in your front air inlets? They look awesome. Where are they from and were they easy to install?
i got it in ebay, pretty easy to install, just take off the front bumper then two screws each side.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:39 PM
jdjones2010
Pro

Originally Posted by kent
i got it in ebay, pretty easy to install, just take off the front bumper then two screws each side.
Do you have any pics of them at night, I bet they look even better! jmo
Old 12-26-2012, 11:21 PM
MOVENU
Intermediate

Sorry to revive this thread but I am having the same problem with my turn signal lever
not staying in place. My question is - can I do the replacement myself? It looks like it
might be a collar inside the steering wheel with two screws on either side to release it?
Car is a 2001 with tiptronic. Has four levers instead of three.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:02 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

It is not too hard to replace. There is a spring that presses on two plastic latches, right (top side) and left (bottom) of the turn signal portion of the combination switch. One of these has broken that is why it won't latch/release. I just replaced mine, 4 stalks. 996 613 219 10 EWC $237 from Sunset

How to replace the indicator and wiper switch assembly on a Porsche Boxster 986 or 996 model 911.

Tools Required:
8mm spanner
10mm spanner
T-30 Torx screwdriver bit with long thin extension
T-10 Torx bit
Philips Screwdriver
24mm Socket & Ratchet
Tipex, or paint and a permanent marker
Duct tape

1. Turn on ignition (to prevent alarm from going off) and disconnect negative terminal from battery. Cover the terminal to make sure it cannot contact the wire.

2. IMPORTANT! Wait for at least 10 minutes to allow the airbag system to discharge.

3. Fully extend the steering column.

4. Undo the 2 T-30 torx head screws behind the wheel. Turn the wheel to help access them.

5. Remove the airbag and carefully pry the connector off with a flat bladed screwdriver. Set the airbag aside. If removing for an extended period of time, Porsche recommend keeping in a locked container!

6. There was already paint on the shaft and nut from the factory, but if not, use paint and a permanent marker to mark the position of everything, so the wheel goes back on straight.

7. Undo the 24mm nut holding on the wheel.

8. Keeping the nut on a couple of threads (so you don't smack yourself in the face with the wheel) pull and wobble the wheel free. If stuck, a couple of taps with a rubber mallet should help.

9. Remove the nut and spring washer. Make another mark where the splines on the wheel meet the shaft. Then after disconnecting the electrical connectors remove the wheel.

10. Stick a bit of tape on the clock spring to stop everything moving around.

11. Remove 4 philips screws on the column faceplate, and 2 on the clock spring. There are a further 2 T-10 screws on the side on the column.

12. Carefully unclip the plastic parts, noting the routing of the wires inside. Move the clock spring to one side whilst connected. Remove the rubber stalk surrounds noting which is which.

13. The switch assembly is clamped around the shaft. Mark it's position on the shaft to make sure it goes back at the same depth, then loosen the 8mm bolt on the clamp.

14. Disconnect the 2 wiring plugs by pulling to the front of the car and remove the unit.

15. The new unit was supplied minus the wash/wipe insert (for cars with/without headlamp washers) so I swapped the old one over.

Reassembly is the reverse of dismantling.

The steering wheel nut torque setting is 34 ftlbs. It's just more than hand tight if you haven't got a torque wrench. The mark on the nut lets you know where it should be.

Porsche recommend fitting new airbag screws each time the seal is broken. Or just use a dab of blue loctite as they do to prevent them vibrating loose.

Once everything is back together reconnect the battery and enjoy working indicators again!

Quick Reply: Turn signal issue pt2