996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Electrical help...loosing my volts

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 07:10 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you used a voltmeter to check the voltage at the battery with the motor running? Also, with the motor off, take off the neg cable and put the voltmeter leads between the neg cable and neg post on the battery. Amperage should be minimal.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:45 PM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Macster: The alarm is factory, the only mod is the Sprint booster that I now have off to eliminate, even though it has been operating correctly.
I will try another battery, engine off only to try eliminate the charging system damaging batteries and for drain.

C4CRNA: Gage is just below the 14v on start then settles 12-13v range. charging system has been tested a few times (dash is fairly accurate) even with lights, AC, seat heat, etc still charging.

San Rensho: Two different indies and myself, checks within limits. Cable off getting 0.04ma, also within limits.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:05 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 9964runner
Put the meter on Mon and get 0.04 draw.
I'm not understanding your statement above, if you are trying to say 0.04 Amp of current draw, then I must ask how are you measuring this reading? Current reading is typically done with the multimeter set in the current/amp mode and connect the meter in SERIES between the load and the battery by using the current/ammeter connection on the multimeter, is this how you had connected the multimeter?

No sparks with the meter but when I put the neg cable to the battery there are definite sparks!?!
Again this is a moot point unless you have connected the meter properly.

Don't know if this is related, there is a rapid clicking coming from what looks like the alarm horn on the drivers side of the battery. Could the alarm be causing a major draw on the battery?
I would disconnect this alarm horn which sounds like an aftermarket one, is there an aftermarket alarm system as well? If so I'd suggest disconnect that as well to isolate the problems you are encountering.

EDIT: Now I've just read alarm is factory and others have measured current draw.

Quick Reply: Electrical help...loosing my volts