Sponsored by:

To 4S or not to 4S :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 07:34 PM
mlambert890
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Turkertwo
I love my C2, but the Conn. location of the OP says the AWD set up makes more sense. And you cannot argue with the looks of the 4S.
Id have agreed here except for two things...

1) OP says "never going to drive in snow"... I live in PA, but the 911 isnt going out in snow. Thats the Range Rover and 335xi's job

2) OP says "worried about more parts to break"... no matter how simple, and durable, an AWD system can be, there is absolutely more to worry about vs RWD

Of course in the end there is no *wrong* answer IMO. Both awesome cars, C4S prob one of the most "practical" sports cars possible

Comes down to the wants/needs of the individual
Old 09-14-2012, 08:47 PM
desmo907
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For some reason I stopped getting emails of replies.

I should have asked before.... but I was looking at a few different 2001 Carrera 4 Cabrio (40-50k miles and clean). I tried to find info but is there a difference between a "4" and "4S"?

Thx!
Old 09-14-2012, 09:53 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Desmo, I'm a ducati die hard also.... Funny last desmo was S4! To answer your question, the 4 was built until 2001. Then Porsche decided to incorporate the widbody of the turbo with a few of it's components. Awd, big red brembos, unique to 4S rear reflector plus a 10 mm lower suspension and new splitter. The 4S cars are standard full leather. Basically they are loaded option cars without the turbos. Drive c2 and c4s and then decide if the premium is worth it. No decision really... And to be clear, I'm with the other members who wanted a pure rear wheel drive car... I just couldn't pass up buying a loaded widebody.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:57 PM
azaytsev
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by desmo907
For some reason I stopped getting emails of replies.

I should have asked before.... but I was looking at a few different 2001 Carrera 4 Cabrio (40-50k miles and clean). I tried to find info but is there a difference between a "4" and "4S"?

Thx!
c4 - narrow body all wheel drive
c4s - wide body all wheel drive
Old 09-14-2012, 09:59 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by mlambert890

2) OP says "worried about more parts to break"... no matter how simple, and durable, an AWD system can be, there is absolutely more to worry about vs RWD
Technically, this is true. There is more to break with the AWD system. However, this isn't really the best way to decide what options you want or don't want on a Porsche. If you use this logic, then you would definitely not want a sunroof or power seats. You wouldn't want an auto-dimming mirror or rain-sensing wipers. All these options add more parts that could break. Forget about HID headlights... the auto-leveling system could (and sometimes does) break.

The AWD system does have more parts and it can break, but it's not a known issue or a serious problem with the AWD cars. Not choosing an AWD car just because the system might break is a bit silly... It's not like we're talking about the air-suspension in an Audi or something crazy like that!

Old 09-15-2012, 11:43 AM
996_C4S
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Biased here too -- I'm on my second 4S (it's an '03; other was an '02). Originally bought it for looks/brakes/suspension package as a street car. Have been transforming it into a DE/Time Trials special over the past 2 yrs. Purists don't like AWD because it inhibits rotation into turns. While that's true, in my experience you make that up coming out of the apex with all that traction up front ... with the right suspension setup & camber, the 4S is a formidable track machine. And remember, only 5-40% of power goes to the front wheels. Last weekend at PCA Time Trials at Thunderhill, I never got tired of passing GT3s, including some that were really track prepped. AND it's still a great Sunday drive car. VIVA 4S!
Old 09-16-2012, 01:50 AM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my C4S cab so I am biased but I say go for it! Its basically a Turbo without the turbo, wing and intakes on the sides. I was originally in the market for a C4 but when I found mine I just couldn't pass it up.

Oh, and as for power, I've got an EvoMS airbox and headers, a Fabspeed exhaust and Sharkwerks tune that, according to the dyno, make my own personal x51.

-Eric
Old 09-16-2012, 02:01 AM
sk2929
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't go for looks, go for personality.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:02 AM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 996_C4S
Biased here too -- I'm on my second 4S (it's an '03; other was an '02). Originally bought it for looks/brakes/suspension package as a street car. Have been transforming it into a DE/Time Trials special over the past 2 yrs. Purists don't like AWD because it inhibits rotation into turns. While that's true, in my experience you make that up coming out of the apex with all that traction up front ... with the right suspension setup & camber, the 4S is a formidable track machine. And remember, only 5-40% of power goes to the front wheels. Last weekend at PCA Time Trials at Thunderhill, I never got tired of passing GT3s, including some that were really track prepped. AND it's still a great Sunday drive car. VIVA 4S!
Love reading about others going against the grain and tracking their 4S's! Rock on!
Old 09-16-2012, 02:05 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

It's foolish to think a pretty girl can't have a good personality!
Old 09-16-2012, 02:05 AM
mlambert890
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Turkertwo
I love my C2, but the Conn. location of the OP says the AWD set up makes more sense. And you cannot argue with the looks of the 4S.
Originally Posted by Dennis C
Technically, this is true. There is more to break with the AWD system. However, this isn't really the best way to decide what options you want or don't want on a Porsche. If you use this logic, then you would definitely not want a sunroof or power seats. You wouldn't want an auto-dimming mirror or rain-sensing wipers. All these options add more parts that could break. Forget about HID headlights... the auto-leveling system could (and sometimes does) break.

The AWD system does have more parts and it can break, but it's not a known issue or a serious problem with the AWD cars. Not choosing an AWD car just because the system might break is a bit silly... It's not like we're talking about the air-suspension in an Audi or something crazy like that!

Be that as it may, it's what the OP asked and it isnt all that unreasonable, IMO. I am sure someone would say that the Audi suspension is also a silly place to draw a line. Or a dual clutch is a silly place to draw a line. Or EPS is a silly place to draw a line.

On the other hand there are *many* folks who feel a 996 is already way over engineered, much less a 996 C4S. Its an individual thing.

I've owned some world class AWD sports cars, but personally prefer the feel of RWD and the lighter weight and found that I dont really need AWD for what I want to do (fun spirited driving in fair weather).

Clearly this is a minority position here on this thread of course (it seems every C4S owner has weighed in and there are apparently no C2 owners who bought it because they actually like it! LOL!), but it isnt outrageous. If it were all sports cars would be AWD rather than it being a minority few (GTR, 911TT, C4S, Gallardo, R8, few others)
Old 09-16-2012, 02:09 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I actually almost bought a C2. I think they are fantastic cars. For me however, the AWD combined with the looks made the C4S the right choice. I know many people prefer the handling of the C2.

Quick Reply: To 4S or not to 4S :)