Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How can I get oil temperature on a 996 MkII ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 01:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
Aside from just being interested, why do you want to see your oil temp?
The oil temp is a better indicator of when the engine is up to temp.

Since the oil is in more direct contact with the hottest parts of the engine and as a result it will be the first to show an abnormal rise in temperature.

Thus oil temp can also help one spot an overheating condition long before one can get this info from the coolant temp.

Ideally the car, a Porsche anyhow, ought to be equipped with a good coolant temp gage, a good oil temp gage, and a good oil pressure gage.

Sincerely,

Macster.
The following users liked this post:
pbrenner (12-09-2022)
Old 09-16-2012, 02:41 PM
ChristopherG
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even if nothing is going wrong with the car it's good to monitor oil temp especially on the track.

Running hard it's not unusual to see coolant temp stay in the normal range and see oil temp climb pretty quickly during hard driving especially on the track.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:47 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Resurrecting an old thread, how hard is the top of this sensor to reach? Idea being to tap into the temp reading and run a gauge into the cabin

Anyone have a picture of what the end looks like in the engine bay ?
Old 05-15-2013, 03:51 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD.TAG
Resurrecting an old thread, how hard is the top of this sensor to reach? Idea being to tap into the temp reading and run a gauge into the cabin

Anyone have a picture of what the end looks like in the engine bay ?
It's not that difficult as I had to change mine out before.

Depending on how flexible you are you can either access it from the top of the engine or you can remove the passenger-side rear tire and go in through there.

You'll be feeling your way through everything but once you have a grasp on it, you can easily remove or replace it. Not sure how you want to tap into it but it's accessible.

If that's not enough you could lower the engine a bit by loosening the engine mounts but that might be a bit much for this job.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:52 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by fpena944
It's not that difficult as I had to change mine out before.

Depending on how flexible you are you can either access it from the top of the engine or you can remove the passenger-side rear tire and go in through there.

You'll be feeling your way through everything but once you have a grasp on it, you can easily remove or replace it. Not sure how you want to tap into it but it's accessible.

If that's not enough you could lower the engine a bit by loosening the engine mounts but that might be a bit much for this job.
Sounds like you're talking about the oil PRESSURE sensor and BAD.TAG is looking for the oil TEMP sensor? Photo of the oil TEMP sensor here ni post #10
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-996-mkii.html
Old 05-16-2013, 01:57 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

I believe Fernando is correct, as Macster pointed out it has the wring for both the temp and level.

Just a matter of how easy it would be to get to so one can attach the gauge
Old 05-16-2013, 02:16 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD.TAG
I believe Fernando is correct, as Macster pointed out it has the wring for both the temp and level.

Just a matter of how easy it would be to get to so one can attach the gauge
Yes, that dual sensor part is correct. I was just trying to point out there's no easy way to access that sensor if you look at the photo in that thread. The sensor sits on top of the engine right above the crank pulley. Not the same procedures Fernando has described (remove rear tire).
Old 05-16-2013, 10:08 PM
Adker
Racer

The wiring goes to the DME through connector x59/2 located on the right side of the engine. I need to go looking for this connector and see if it can be tapped.

Last edited by Adker; 09-07-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:03 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Adker I like your thinking..please share what you find
Old 05-16-2013, 11:10 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I really hope someone find a way to get oil temp in the 996, that would really be a step forward for all track rats
Old 05-17-2013, 06:50 PM
Adker
Racer

Looks like the x59 connectors are right were the book said. The wire bundle is wrapped in cloth tape so it should be easy to remove. One of mine is already starting to unwind. Using the same path that Jake documented for his monitor, it should be easy to get a wire to the dash. I need to use the Durametric to read the oil temp while looking at the signal to see how to make an interface circuit. I was thinking about a small box with a Hi temp warning red LED that can be user set and a three digit readout.

Last edited by Adker; 09-07-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:43 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Adker,

did you look into this ?

I am so surprised nobody tried to get an oil temp gauge in their car. The sensor is there indeed, just no way to read it unless you can drive with laptop on your ... lap
Old 11-04-2013, 11:54 PM
Adker
Racer

I have the spare sensor and harness in the garage and I need to do some checking into the P/N to determine what type of signal it outputs...it could be a CAN bus signal or just resistive.

I have only lightly tracked this car but I do see a need. Maybe my other car will break and get me into gear.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:52 PM
pesuazo
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

I am pretty sure it is a resistive signal......here is what I gather from the Wiring of the 996:

1.- Sheet 3; Coordinates K, L 11
--- Notice that it is an oil level sensor as well an oil temperature sensor.....Pins 1 and 3 of the sensor sends the resistive signal to the DME (oil temperature)...pins 2 and 4 handle the oil level

2.- Sheet 12; Coordinate E118
---Notice the motor oil temperature goes into Pin 73 of the DME

3.- Sheet 18; Coordinate L172
The motor oil temperature signal also goes to plug III (52 pins) of the Motronic/E-gas module.....to be specific....pin 5

4.- What is not clear is if the DME sends the signal out to a GUI (may be the OBC or the AC panel display???)

--- One of the posts above shows a link to a place where someone was able to toggle the AC screen to show other data...perhaps oil temp is one of them...

Regards,

PESuazo
Old 11-05-2013, 03:40 PM
ditto
Racer

See post #43 of the Everything You Didn't Know about Your Porsche sticky. It says that 1C may be oil temperature.

Quick Reply: How can I get oil temperature on a 996 MkII ?