Sponsored by:

Painted C4S badge and tail pipes

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 11:17 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Painted C4S badge and tail pipes

Continuing my monochrome with a little red theme I decided to paint my badges and exhaust tips and order one of those blacked out hood crests. I wanted to just buy the painted C4S script from bumperplugs but that would have cost at least a weekend at the track!!

Removed the rear badge with fishing line and spent hours last night trying to remove the goo that was left behind...what a pain in the ***! Stuck them back on with some 3M foam tape today.

I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out. You can see from the first pic that my tailpipes were looking pretty crappy. Great excuse to paint them black! So I took them off and painted them with VHT "Flameproof" header paint. I guess it is a ceramic coating so I had to cure them in the oven. Will update with a pic of them on the car tomorrow.

Then the only thing left is the hood crest. I can't coat that myself so I'm going to have to breakdown and buy one from the guy in the classifieds.
Attached Images    
Old 08-31-2012, 11:34 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 905 Posts

I just replaced my silver "Carrera" rear decklid badge because my original one broke (I caught the top part of the C with a towel and broke it off). I agree with you - removing the residue from the old one is a pain.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:04 AM
Hyper911
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

ha this is exactly what i am doing too. looks great. I would also paint the silver trim on the bumper above the tips. I have the Carrara done, the front crest done, wheels on order and am trying to get the damn tips off!
Old 09-01-2012, 01:39 PM
dotframe
Pro

The tips did take some work and lube to separate

Here is the result. I don't know why one looks shiny in this picture, they both have a flat finish to them. Much better than the stained chrome.
Attached Images  
Old 09-01-2012, 02:27 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 173 Posts

Yea the exhaust tips make a big difference.Nice work. My car is 100% stock and I have been resisting the urge to do mods. If I start the flood gates may open.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:25 PM
JCreasy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the exhaust tips, but I don't like the red "S" as much as I thought I would... First, I would have done the whole script, and second with that red tail light lens right beneath it, I think it kinda takes away from it...

Still, nice work and all a matter of opinion. Love your blacked out wheels and the blacked out crest should look really nice!

Thanks for sharing.

JKC
Old 09-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I think it looks good. You should consider a smoked LED 3rd tail light. Taking the red one out would improve the look of your car, in my opinion.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:43 PM
JCreasy
Instructor

Dennis has a great idea. Isn't it nice when forum members come up with ways for you to spend your own time and money?! Kidding of course, but I do think Dennis may be on to something... Remember though, all of this is aesthetics and opinion, not personal criticism.

Thanks, again, for sharing the project. Fun to talk with this kinda stuff with folks.

I am thinking of doing the exhaust tips on my black C2 like yours if they make a semi-gloss or matte, as opposed to completely flat... Just thinking. My car is black on black and I just got black Innsbrucks earlier this year and clear blinkers... Still thinking... I don't want to look like Darth Vader driving down the road but I like that kinda muted look... Which is why I think that hood ornament will look really cool on your car, and mine.

Take it easy,

JKC
Old 09-02-2012, 08:23 PM
dotframe
Pro

Actually I stumbled upon something yesterday with the tailpipes. I accidentally got an oily fingerprint on one and the more I wiped it the more it spread. I ended up oiling them down and then washing them and they look much better

They have a really uniform semi gloss look to them now.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:04 PM
JCreasy
Instructor

Maybe I'll send you mine! Refurb I am slowly working to is 200k in about a year.

Thanks for the post.

JKC
Old 09-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Suggestions are never criticism! Spending other people's money is way easier than spending my own! My shopping list lately doesn't include any fun things. Pads and rotors for the Cayenne are presently at the top of my list.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:38 AM
Heima996C4S
Advanced

Looks great! I recently blacked out my entire Carrera 4S badge as well!
Attached Images  
Old 09-05-2012, 12:30 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

OP, any plans for the bumperettes?
Old 09-05-2012, 12:51 PM
dotframe
Pro

Originally Posted by kromdom
OP, any plans for the bumperettes?
I'd love to have painted ones but I just can't justify the price. I could spend that same money towards brakes, tires, or track time.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Fergus did a nice job with a DIY on bumperette painting when he still owned his 996. You might try to search for that since you seem pretty handy with paint!

Quick Reply: Painted C4S badge and tail pipes