Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have a boxter 996 Cabriolet.?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 08:43 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Does anyone have a boxter 996 Cabriolet.?

Does anyone know if the boxter 996 has a plastic cover over the hook where it latches onto the micro switch inside the windscreen? The plastic on my 1999 Carrera Cab is broken so I removed it and the top seems to be working OK now. I did read somewhere that the Boxter does not have the plastic covering which doesn't make sense to me. Mine was only working on and off until I removed the plastic. I have a new plastic cover on order from Suncoast for $12 but wondering if I should even leave it off if the roof is working normally. Macster, does your boxter have the plastic cover? I will leave it off if it continues to operate. First jib, and the new plastic goes back on. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:29 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

First off that's BoxSter, Second, the Boxster was a 986 not a 996 and third... I owned a Boxster S but not sure what your referring too, I remember it looking like the same mechanism as the 996 cab. got a picture?

Old 08-31-2012, 10:27 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Apparently, it's harder to spell Boxster than I thought.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:30 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

On my '04 986 Boxster S, the hook is mostly exposed metal, but there is a thin strip of plastic laminated along the bottom of it. If that's what you're talking about, I doubt it would make a different if it was there or not, but looks like it's there to help prevent the hook from damaging the other plastic trim.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:25 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

our Boxster has a latch that must be manually locked or unlocked by hand before using power to lower or raise the top. The 996s are fully automatic.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:20 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

ok thanks for the replies. So the BOXSTER is a 998. Now I know thanks. No need for a picture as my question has been answered. No comparison as mine is fully auto convertible top.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:07 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

I think the plastic cover on the 996 cab hook is there partly as anti rattle and partly as *fabric protection.

Because the plastic is there the sensing switch is adjusted to allow for the extra thickness. Many 996 cab owners do experience final latching problems when the extra thickness breaks off. You may never have a problem. If you do you will have the cover to repair the problem.
*986 (Boxster) tops fold differently.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:36 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
ok thanks for the replies. So the BOXSTER is a 998. Now I know thanks. No need for a picture as my question has been answered. No comparison as mine is fully auto convertible top.
You got it part right, lol. You got the right numbers, just not the right order and one turned up side down. It's a 986.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:44 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Anyway here is the part I have coming which I will use should the roof stop working again. It seems to be working correctly over the past 2 days minus the plastic cover I got it at Suncoast for approx $12 should any other 996 cab owners need to get a new one. I will use it when it comes and remove it if it stops working again.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:27 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

If/when you are ready to put it back there are a couple of easy ways to accomplish this
1.Cut the end off of the new piece and glue it on the hook.
2. cut a pie slice out of the eye at the top and slide the whole piece onto the hook and *glue it.

I have used RTV silicone to glue it. RTV is resilient, and easy to remove if you ever need to redo the job.
Attached Images   
Old 09-01-2012, 02:29 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Sounds like you found your problem with the top not responding what was the fix?
Old 09-02-2012, 02:03 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by fpb111
Sounds like you found your problem with the top not responding what was the fix?
It certainly looks like it. It has been working as it should for the past 4 days. I found a small arm to a hook on the right side had come off. To one of the little flaps that come in place when the roof is down. This was after I managed to get the top into service position (half way through its cycle). . I had removed the carpet part behind the rear seats. In fact that part is still standing in the garage until I am absolutley sure that I fixed the problem. Eventually I got the correct clip to hold the arm in place from Pep Boys. I had already removed the plastic part hoping to solve the problem and actually started to use the top (after securing the loose arm) forgetting that the plastic was missing so I left it off. I had already sent off for the plastic piece so when it arrives, I will replace it and hopefully the roof should still work normally. If it doesnt then I will remove the plastic again. It appears that a PO had the plastic hook problem in the past as the one I took off was sliced and cut as I intend to do to the new one. My old one was cracked and a piece missing from it at the end of the hook part. Thats the reason why I removed it in the first place. It was not stuck down and came off very easily. So IF it is fixed it cost a total of $15 for the plastic part and the small clip which holds the arm in place. I had big dollar amounts in my head had I taken it into the Porsche Stealer for repairs. Hell they could have hit me with any amount, I wouldn't have known. ie:- oh we found this and we found that and the total cost plus labor is BLA BLA BOLUX lol. BTW I couldnt have done the job without the help I got from people on this forum. I thank you all very much.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have a boxter 996 Cabriolet.?