Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by jetlagjim
I need to store my C4 Cab for 3 months.

Any advice on "how to"?
Have the oil/filter fresh. Old oil contaminated with unburned fuel and water will develop layers of highly corrosive compounds in the oil as the car sits.

Do not fill the gas tank completely full. Over that 3 months the gas will get stale so you want to have some free space to add some fresh gas. This 1/4th or 1/3rd tank of fresh gas will not bring the entire contents of the tank back to fresh but diminish the risk of stale gas causing any problems as you drive the car and burn the stale gas.

You might consider a fuel additive. Your Porsche dealer might be able to recommend one.

Also, in some areas gas is seasonal and if you put the car away with summer blend gasoline when you start the engine up 3 months later the gas is summer gas but the car could be in the grip of cold winter weather. Even if the gas were fresh the engine may not be too happy with it.

At some point though you want to get the gas level down so you can add say at least 2/3rds to 3/4ths tank of fresh/seasonal gas.

On a related note, I had a chance to drive a family member's car after it had sat for months of little use -- I would start the engine and let it idle until fully warmed up but I didn't drive the car (I do not like to drive other peoples's cars) with gas bought last November and the engine felt very flat. I attributed this as a characteristic of the engine (a V6 in an Infiniti EX35), sort of doubting the stale gas thing (even though I have come across reports of stale gas from other sources).

Anyhow, I drove the car enough to run the tank level down to the point the low fuel light came on. I filled the tank up with Shell V-Power 91 octane (the engine requires premium gas and I'm sure the family member was using if not Shell a premium gasoline) and afterwards the transformation of the engine was quite remarkable.

Fill up the tires to their max. cold inflation pressures.

Do not lift the car and support it on jack stands.

Do not set the hand brake.

Leave the manual in neutral.

Leave the Tip in Park.

Block the tires!

Do not lock the car if you do not have to.

You can jam steel wool into the exhaust pipes but the mice will probably never go near that area of the car.

They like the cabin just like you and me.

Not sure what you can do to prevent rodents from getting into the car but you need to find out and do it for almost certainly -- no matter where you live -- mice (at least) will visit the car and set up housekeeping with disastrous results.

Can't help you with battery storage. There are plenty of people though that know this so I defer to their recommendations.

After the months are up, be sure you undo the steel wool in the exhaust pipe and bring the tires pressures down to where they should be.

Give the car a good walk around inspection, checking the trunk, engine compartment for any obvious signs of something amiss.

Look under the car for any fluid leaks.

Upon engine start be sure all vital signs are ok and the engine idles and runs good. Be sure all warning lights come on then go off as you start the engine.

On the road try the brakes and such to be sure all safety critical systems are working.

As soon as you can exercise the tranmission, the A/C/heater controls, etc.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: 3 month storage of P-car