996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

997.2 vs 996 C4S Fun Day - Whicked Night

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012 | 10:04 PM
silotwo
Banned

Default 997.2 vs 996 C4S Fun Day - Whicked Night

A friend at work picked up a new 2011 997 Black Edition at almost the same time I picked up my 2004 996 C4S, not quite a year ago.

Today we were able to "test drive" the cars. I flipped him the key to the C4S and rode shotgun for the first time in my car. Sure does feel a lot faster in the passenger seat, no wonder my wife winces and sometimes bitches when I am driving.

He was quite impressed with the car and told me that other than the interior and his being a PDK, he didn't feel there was much of difference between the cars performance, handling, and ride quality.

When we return he walks towards his car and says let's take his for a ride. When we get near the car he flips me his key and I was like "Really, you'll let me drive yours" So, my first time in any 997 and my first time driving a PDK.

Short run, but a ton of fun, great car, made me want one but sans the PDK.

Tonight on the way home I had to agree with him, not enough of a difference in the performance between the two cars to justify a $50k uptick in price paid. Yet I can see a 997.2 a few years in the future. Great car - perhaps a new "someday" for me.

But - what a whicked ride home - first I almost get creamed from behind by a kid in a Honda, good thing the motorcycle safety training is with me and I stay aware of everything going on around me. I had to move to the shoulder of the interstate to make room for jerko to move to my right and avoid hitting me.

Then to top it off, a few miles down the road, traveling at 70MPH, a rig decides he needs to pass and simply moves left into my lane as if I don't exist. Again, being aware, plus those wonderful brakes on the S, and I escape. But man, I can't help but to think that one of these days.......
Old 08-22-2012 | 10:49 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I rented a 2010 Carrera S cabriolet for a week of driving in Europe in October of 2010. It was a 6 MT, and it was an absolute blast to drive on the unlimited speed sections of the autobahn as well as through mountain passes in Austria and Italy.

I agree with your comments - it felt very similar to my C4S in the way it drove, the way it handled and the way it rode. It felt very familiar. That being said, damn it was fast. The throttle was also more responsive, especially noticable during heel/toe rev matching when downshifting in the mountains. The interior was nicer, but not a huge upgrade over my C4S.

Overall, I was very impressed with the 997 C2S. When it all comes down to it though, I think my next 911 will be a 991 C4S or turbo. I don't think the 997 is a big enough upgrade to justify the expense. I have not yet driven a 991, but I'm looking forward to the experience.
Attached Images  
Old 08-23-2012 | 04:29 AM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Good write up and I've driven an '09 C2S besides my 02 C2 Cab, I love the sport exhaust on the 997 but overall the 996's are such better deal for 99% of the same car - its a no brainer in todays market. But as you said 4-5 years down the road - might be a good option!!
Old 08-23-2012 | 02:48 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

I look for the styling of the 991 to help 996 values & kill 997 values.

Quick Reply: 997.2 vs 996 C4S Fun Day - Whicked Night