Sponsored by:

Creaking and dut da dut / Noisy 996 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 05:09 PM
oMenRC51
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Creaking and dut da dut / Noisy 996 C4S

At low speeds, I hear creaking and some chatter that sound like its coming somewhere in my front end. I have just over 63K miles and have done about 6 DEs with this car. Does anyone have this same problem and what did you do to solve it?

I rode in my buddy's 996TT and he did not have any sounds like this but also he has stock suspension.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Jackstand Louie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the squeak but not the clunk. There are many threads for both...search squeak and/or clunk. I had the squeak after warmup at low speeds and it got progressively worse. I warmed it up, took off the wheel and tried to isolate it by jacking up and lowering the rotor slowly and by having someone turn the wheel. I narrowed mine to the control arm connection to the frame but many have reported other sources. I think over time the bushing was compromised and allowed metal to metal contact with the control arm edge and the frame. There was only a very thin layer of bushing lip left so since rubber shrinks when it gets warm that may have been it.

Its an elusive almost omnidirectional sound.

For the clunk you may want to check the drop links first.

You can see in the thread below I found most of the rubber was compromised due mainly to age and elements....torn boots, etc. (62k miles, 99-996 2)

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...eplacment.html

While not necessary to eliminate the squeak, I replaced everything since I was in there and since it was only a matter of time with the bad rubber:

Inner and outer tie-rods
ITR boots
control arms
control arm diagonals
drop links
sway bar bushings
wheel bearings

I disassembled the struts/coils and found everything in really good shape. I cleaned thoroughly, re-greased the bearings and put them back in. Hopefully, you can isolate the squeak without having to change all that.

Once I put it back together I took it to Champion Motor Sports for alignment. I thought it was tight and solid before but the difference is profound. No squeak, extremely responsive. This must be what a new one feels like.

Last edited by Jackstand Louie; 08-22-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:51 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Also check the front drive shaft "flex disk"
Driveshaft flex disc - C4 and Turbo

These folks list the OEM Porsche replacement for $75 KO Performance in Florida

http://www.koperformance.com/

Part #: 102539005-57
KO Price: $84.06
Shipping: $0.00 - FREE Shipping! - & *Ship Group
Stock Status: In Stock - Ready to Ship!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Book #: 10 2539 005
Description: Driveshaft Flex Disc
Applications: Carrera 4 99 thru 05
Manufacturer: O.E.M.

Last edited by fpb111; 08-23-2012 at 02:52 PM. Reason: price went up $10

Quick Reply: Creaking and dut da dut / Noisy 996 C4S