Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Bicep tendon ruptured- glad I have a Tip!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 09:04 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Bicep tendon ruptured- glad I have a Tip!

While working on my house the other day installing our dining room window, I felt a major pop, like a bungee cord snapping. After a trip to the Urgent Care and followups with an orthopedic surgeon, they confirmed that I ruptured the distal biceps tendon on my right arm. I am glad that I have a tiptronic or I would be stuck driving the better half's Toyota for a while. Time for surgery next week and 3-4 months of rehab. I can't change radio stations while driving, but at least I able to go back and forth to the doc's with the top down. After three 911s with manual transmissions, my better half insisted on a tip- I'm sure glad she did!
Old 08-15-2012, 09:42 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Bummer. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
Old 08-15-2012, 09:45 PM
bornrich
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been there done that but I did mine trying to lift a downed motorcycle back in 98. I was in a cast for 2-3 weeks then in the brace for another 6. It truly sucked. But I did still drive my 944 and my Jetta both manual trans cars. Just takes a little finesse. :-) In fact before I got the surgery I rode a trackday with the motorcycle.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 934 Posts

Sorry to hear about that! Surgery should correct your "Popeye" biceps in no time...
Old 08-15-2012, 10:17 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks. I can totally empathize -- I had shoulder surgery on my right shoulder earlier in the year, and have to get my left one done very soon as well. But being able to drive the P-car again was definitely part of the motivation for physical therapy.

Good luck with surgery, and more importantly, recovery.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:51 AM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

I had my left hip replaced the same month I got my P-car, and my wifey won't learn to drive a manual tranny. Guess what I got?

BTW, no regrets whatsoever.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:40 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck with the Surgery, I have been avoiding surgery on my shoulder for years. Dislocated it snowboarding, popped back in by accident and tore a bunch of stuff, went back to Lacrosse to early separated it etc. I only have about 80% range of motion which is good enough to shift the P-car, worry about losing more of my range of motion which is very possible according to my doctors.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:48 AM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll add my situation to the mix... I needed ACL surgery 2 years ago and I just pulled out my ride for the spring, so I opted to have it late fall after I stored my car away.

Now, I probably need very minor ankle surgery, and I'll do the same... after the car is put away! I can't miss out on valuable P car driving, hell no.

But good luck on the surgery, sometimes the car goes to the mechanic, but this time it's you... it goes both ways!
Old 08-16-2012, 11:10 AM
mjb2448
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
While working on my house the other day installing our dining room window, I felt a major pop, like a bungee cord snapping. After a trip to the Urgent Care and followups with an orthopedic surgeon, they confirmed that I ruptured the distal biceps tendon on my right arm. I am glad that I have a tiptronic or I would be stuck driving the better half's Toyota for a while. Time for surgery next week and 3-4 months of rehab. I can't change radio stations while driving, but at least I able to go back and forth to the doc's with the top down. After three 911s with manual transmissions, my better half insisted on a tip- I'm sure glad she did!
Just curious what year is your arm and milage on the biceps . Thanks
Old 08-16-2012, 11:53 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjb2448
Just curious what year is your arm and milage on the biceps . Thanks
Excellent question. Lots of miles on the biceps and it is a 1967, but clearly I haven't avoided the dreaded the IMS issue that plagues these models. If you want to know what the IMS issue is, do a search! (For those newbies, it stands for "I'm Majorly Strong")

Thanks for all the kind words. I'm in pretty darn good shape and the Doc says this is one issue that has nothing to do with age. Thank goodness. On the other hand, I guess I should be taking note that I am becoming a regular at the sports medicine clinic and seem to know all of them by their first names!
Old 08-16-2012, 05:17 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 342 Posts

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Btw - thanks for posting this, now I have something else to worry about that I didn't know could happen.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:43 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You should get extra points for hurting yourself on a 'home' project. Sorry to hear about your injury.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:46 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Scheduling the surgery for next week. Then it is time to assess the damage to the upper arm/ shoulder. I guess my brake job DIY can wait for a while...

Quick Reply: Bicep tendon ruptured- glad I have a Tip!