Sponsored by:

Trouble getting into 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Viper6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanturbo
Try bleeding your clutch as others have said, also flushing your tranny fluid. But instead of using Porsche fluid try AC Delco Syncromesh. GM had the fluid developed to prevent recalling every manual tranny in their mid 90's pick ups, It literally saved them tens of thousands of transmissions. It is because of a special moly additive that helps the syncro's. Technically it is only meant for very few vehicles, but I have used it in Honda's Subaru's BMW's Nissan's and even my Porsche. It has made grinds from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd dissapear, tough shifts gone, this **** is MAGIC! It is not a proper repair, if your syncro's are worn which is sounds like yours might be it will help preserve what you have left, and make your shifts much smoother, but it does not change the fact that having your synchros replaced may be in your future.

Go to your local GM dealership, costs about $9 per quart, dropping and filling your fluid is easy to do yourself or have someone do, and can possibly save you pulling a tranny and replacing synchros. I have also tried just about every fluid out there, Moltul, Liquimoly, Redline, Royal Purple, OEM fluids, and most other companies that make lubricating products, but always find synchromesh the best, just google reviews.

In my M3 I had a nasty tough shift and occasional grind from 2nd to 3rd I tried flushing OEM fluid, still there. then tried Motul since it it meant BMW specifications, still there. Then AC Delco Synchromesh since I had previous luck with it, and it went away.
That's a real endorsement. I plan to bleed clutch again (I did not hold pedal down according to manual during , maybe that had something to do with it) and possibly replace with synchromesh. Can you use it for awhile and then go back to stock (or why bother). As I understand it, Moly actually polishes metals as it lubricates, improving the mating surfaces... maybe this is what is happening with this product...

I have stiff gear changes until full operating temp reached (re HOT), and then it is butter smooth when over 4k shifts (driving like it was designed)... lower rpm shifts are notchy... I know I know, just drive it like you stole it 24/7... sometimes I just commute with it though and stay under the radar.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:55 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nick49
I'd say it may be a shift cable related issue. Look under the car where the shift cables enter the trans and make sure the ferrels are positively located in their respective holders. A cable that is a bit off will cause a shifting issue. Another guess would be worn plastic parts in the actual shifter assembly in the console.

I found this that made shifting difficult on my 996 after a motor replacement
The only concern I see with your idea, is his problem is shifting specifically into one gear, where as the problems you stated should create issues for shifting into all gears.

Still worth checking out in my opinion
Old 08-17-2012, 01:05 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Viper6
That's a real endorsement. I plan to bleed clutch again (I did not hold pedal down according to manual during , maybe that had something to do with it) and possibly replace with synchromesh. Can you use it for awhile and then go back to stock (or why bother). As I understand it, Moly actually polishes metals as it lubricates, improving the mating surfaces... maybe this is what is happening with this product...

I have stiff gear changes until full operating temp reached (re HOT), and then it is butter smooth when over 4k shifts (driving like it was designed)... lower rpm shifts are notchy... I know I know, just drive it like you stole it 24/7... sometimes I just commute with it though and stay under the radar.
As with the linkage issue it is worth checking out, but I doubt it will solve your issue. if you have air in your system you will have ****ty clutch feel all the time, not hard shifts at cool temps and only into one gear.

I can almost guarantee your problem shifting into 3rd, and hard shifts at cool temps is tranny related. if it gets better when it is warm how can it be linkage? your linkage doesn't warm up does it? same goes with your clutch. What does a clutch have to do with stiff shifts, grinds, and popping out of gear? Not a whole lot. Any clutch problems for the most part will be seen through slipping and ****ty pedal feel (to hard, or soft, or high, or low)

You could just be due for new tranny fluid if you havent done it in a while which could explain the hard shifting at cold temps (like old engine oil breaking down and not lubricating well at low temps) and because you said shifting into 3rd is a problem I would also say your 2nd to 3rd gear synchro is exhibiting a slight bit of wear.

As far as using synchromesh and going back to stock, my opinion is why bother, if it is beneficial, why get rid of it for something that isn't, as far as how it works i dont bother myself with the detail, I just know it is MAGIC! ha ha

The one subaru dealership in town even uses it for tranny flushes on WRX's and STI's because it gets rid of their notchy shifts and is one of the best products out there, even though it isnt approved by their warranty.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:10 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanturbo
Try bleeding your clutch as others have said, also flushing your tranny fluid. But instead of using Porsche fluid try AC Delco Syncromesh. GM had the fluid developed to prevent recalling every manual tranny in their mid 90's pick ups, It literally saved them tens of thousands of transmissions. It is because of a special moly additive that helps the syncro's. Technically it is only meant for very few vehicles, but I have used it in Honda's Subaru's BMW's Nissan's and even my Porsche. It has made grinds from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd dissapear, tough shifts gone, this **** is MAGIC! It is not a proper repair, if your syncro's are worn which is sounds like yours might be it will help preserve what you have left, and make your shifts much smoother, but it does not change the fact that having your synchros replaced may be in your future.

Go to your local GM dealership, costs about $9 per quart, dropping and filling your fluid is easy to do yourself or have someone do, and can possibly save you pulling a tranny and replacing synchros. I have also tried just about every fluid out there, Moltul, Liquimoly, Redline, Royal Purple, OEM fluids, and most other companies that make lubricating products, but always find synchromesh the best, just google reviews.

In my M3 I had a nasty tough shift and occasional grind from 2nd to 3rd I tried flushing OEM fluid, still there. then tried Motul since it it meant BMW specifications, still there. Then AC Delco Synchromesh since I had previous luck with it, and it went away.
Interesting! This stuff is what I am using in my DD Accord, it fixed the third-gear pop out problems with many 6-speed manual transmissions in Honda and Acuras, I have not had a single third-gear pop out problem since putting in the GMSM fluid 4 years ago, and the transmission still shifts well at any temperature.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:41 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aviography
Interesting! This stuff is what I am using in my DD Accord, it fixed the third-gear pop out problems with many 6-speed manual transmissions in Honda and Acuras, I have not had a single third-gear pop out problem since putting in the GMSM fluid 4 years ago, and the transmission still shifts well at any temperature.
I had great success with it in other vehicles which is why I put it in my Euro's I figured if it works magic on GM's, works magic on Honda 3rd gear popouts and grinds, subaru grinds etc. What makes a porsche or BMW tranny so special that it wouldn't be beneficial, turns out nothing really, and the magic still occurs there.

Quick Reply: Trouble getting into 3rd