Trouble getting into 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 11:36 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Trouble getting into 3rd

Over the past few weeks, I have had trouble shifting from 2-3rd in my 03 C2. I have experienced 2nd gear pop out from time to time, but this is different. It physically won't go into 3rd until I let off the gas, and reshift. 57k and I am sure it is the original clutch. It's possible I just "missed" it, but not twice and in the same gear. Maybe time for a new clutch or an issue with the gearbox. Thoughts?
Old 08-14-2012, 01:53 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Is it grinding as well or just difficult to engage? Synchro? Do you have a short shifter installed?
Old 08-14-2012, 02:19 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Barn996
Is it grinding as well or just difficult to engage? Synchro? Do you have a short shifter installed?
No grinding, just difficult to engage. I do not have a short shifter. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Detoxx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could just be your linkage.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:40 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If your clutch was going out, wouldn't all the gears be difficult to engage?
Old 08-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Barn996
If your clutch was going out, wouldn't all the gears be difficult to engage?
Barn...that's a good question. I am due for an oil change so I will have my Indy look at it. Not a huge problem now, but it is not going to fix itself and can only get worse. Just thought someone might recognize the symptoms and give me an idea of what might be going on. I will post when I know.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
Over the past few weeks, I have had trouble shifting from 2-3rd in my 03 C2. I have experienced 2nd gear pop out from time to time, but this is different. It physically won't go into 3rd until I let off the gas, and reshift. 57k and I am sure it is the original clutch. It's possible I just "missed" it, but not twice and in the same gear. Maybe time for a new clutch or an issue with the gearbox. Thoughts?
Thankfully issues with my transmissions/clutches have been infrequent and not serious, but what I can tell you from my experience is to be sure the clutch hydraulic system is flushed/bled.

And flushed/bled right. I did this once using the power bleeder system and the results were not as good as I expected. I enlisted the help of a co-worker and had him work the clutch pedal while I was under the car and the results were much better.

After the flush/bleed with the engine idling the car on the level in neutral you should with the clutch pedal fully depressed be able to shift from neutral to any gear without any real difficulty.

If there is any, it can be the clutch dragging, worn gearbox, linkage problems, or just worn out (so to speak) transmission fluid (or possibly the wrong fluid unless you are sure the tranny's never had any thing but Porsche fluid in it).

Anyhow, if the clutch hydraulic fluid flush/bleed doesn't help consider having the transmission/diff fluid changed. (The dealer charges me 0.3 hours for my Boxster's 5-speed and the last time I had my Boxster fluid changed the dealer service department gave me a huge discount on genuine Porsche transmission fluid).

No fluid change is going to resurrect a truly sick transmission but it is worth a shot.

There are a lot of opinions about which transmission fluids are best but to keep the variables to a minimum my advice would be to use the Porsche fluid.

If you need some assurance the OE fluid is any good, my 02 Boxster's 5-speed has over 258K miles of trouble free service using Porsche transmission/diff fluid and shifts as smoothly as ever.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:50 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

^^^ Thanks Macster. As always.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:54 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Along with Mc Masters suggestions above ( definitely bleed the clutch) I would check the 2 indent pins to make sure they're tight. Difficult shifting is a symptom of a indent pin backing itself out. I also strongly suggest changing the tranny oil especially because you live in a furnace this time of the year. Porsche fiil is made by Shell BTW....
Old 08-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Viper6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Along with Mc Masters suggestions above ( definitely bleed the clutch) I would check the 2 indent pins to make sure they're tight. Difficult shifting is a symptom of a indent pin backing itself out. I also strongly suggest changing the tranny oil especially because you live in a furnace this time of the year. Porsche fiil is made by Shell BTW....
What and where are these pins located to check? Also, is the OEM fluid synthetic? I have had good luck in previous manual gear boxes changing to synthetic... if some have changed to sythetic, what is recommended?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:47 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper6
What and where are these pins located to check? Also, is the OEM fluid synthetic? I have had good luck in previous manual gear boxes changing to synthetic... if some have changed to sythetic, what is recommended?
Yes it's synthetic.

First off it's detent, my mistake....

Here's a link from Gbox who sells a replacement part:

http://www.gboxweb.com/detent.html
Old 08-16-2012, 08:33 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you end up needing to open the gear box I have a thrd gear set for sale here https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...d-gearset.html
Old 08-16-2012, 09:11 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

I was gonna suggesty more wine
Old 08-17-2012, 02:01 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try bleeding your clutch as others have said, also flushing your tranny fluid. But instead of using Porsche fluid try AC Delco Syncromesh. GM had the fluid developed to prevent recalling every manual tranny in their mid 90's pick ups, It literally saved them tens of thousands of transmissions. It is because of a special moly additive that helps the syncro's. Technically it is only meant for very few vehicles, but I have used it in Honda's Subaru's BMW's Nissan's and even my Porsche. It has made grinds from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd dissapear, tough shifts gone, this **** is MAGIC! It is not a proper repair, if your syncro's are worn which is sounds like yours might be it will help preserve what you have left, and make your shifts much smoother, but it does not change the fact that having your synchros replaced may be in your future.

Go to your local GM dealership, costs about $9 per quart, dropping and filling your fluid is easy to do yourself or have someone do, and can possibly save you pulling a tranny and replacing synchros. I have also tried just about every fluid out there, Moltul, Liquimoly, Redline, Royal Purple, OEM fluids, and most other companies that make lubricating products, but always find synchromesh the best, just google reviews.

In my M3 I had a nasty tough shift and occasional grind from 2nd to 3rd I tried flushing OEM fluid, still there. then tried Motul since it it meant BMW specifications, still there. Then AC Delco Synchromesh since I had previous luck with it, and it went away.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:22 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd say it may be a shift cable related issue. Look under the car where the shift cables enter the trans and make sure the ferrels are positively located in their respective holders. A cable that is a bit off will cause a shifting issue. Another guess would be worn plastic parts in the actual shifter assembly in the console.

I found this that made shifting difficult on my 996 after a motor replacement

Last edited by nick49; 12-29-2012 at 11:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Trouble getting into 3rd