996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Good battery not keeping charge

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 11:02 PM
Kris79
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup battery's sit on the shelf for a long time, and are only cycled for new ones every couple months. and depending on what type of cell it has that is not good for the battery
Old 08-30-2012, 12:35 AM
agerada
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Have taken the advice of locking the car when not in use, even if it's for an hour or overnight at home in the garage.

My findings are that the battery does not drain as much when the car is locked as it did when the car was left unlocked.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:52 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default assault and battery

FWIW, some years ago, the EPA mandated a reduction in the amount of lead battery manufacturers could incorporate. The purpose here was to reduce the amount of lead that ultimately ends up in landfills.

One of the unintended consequences seems to have been that today's batteries will not fully recover from a complete discharge, in spite of an extended re-charge effort.

Could it be that your "new" battery has been discharged at some point? Just guessing.

relinuca
Old 08-30-2012, 04:52 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Mine has sat for over a week maybe 2 and has been ok, put an amp meter on the neg side and pull the fuses one at a time till the draw goes away. This will atleast tell you what circuit is causing your extra batt draw.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:25 AM
agerada
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
Mine has sat for over a week maybe 2 and has been ok, put an amp meter on the neg side and pull the fuses one at a time till the draw goes away. This will atleast tell you what circuit is causing your extra batt draw.
When you say "put an amp meter on the neg side". How do you suggest I measure it? Are you saying measure by removing the lead and putting the meter in between the lead and the neg battery terminal?

Thanks.

Regards
Ant
Old 08-31-2012, 06:20 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

yes an Amp meter goes in line NOT ACROSS.... so disconnect the neg lead of the battery. Place a 10A meter between the battery and the neg batt lead. Take note of the current draw. Start pulling fuses one at a time till you see a substantial drop.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:06 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

When I was having trouble with a convertible top this past 2 weeks, I needed to check my battery. I took it to Pepboys and they checked it out on a machine for free without removing the battery from the car. Their finding is I have an excellant battery. BTW a Porsche dealer told me I needed a new battery almost 18 months ago so I took it to 'Pepboys' and they told me the same battery was in good shape and that I didnt need a replacement. Needless to say that I never went back (or ever intend doing in the future) to that particular Porsche Dealer again. Once bitten twice shy. So what I am saying is that Pepboys will check your battery out for free as i think most auto sales places will if they think they have a possible battery sale on their hands.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Bass Man
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

My 98 has a Quicktrack system fitted. Now I know why my battery drains when left for some time. It had me stumped.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:41 PM
Revn29k00
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
Do you still have the original battery?
Old 09-25-2012, 09:30 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As some others have said, improper storage can make even a new battery not hold a charge, I have had this issue a few times in the past. I would also suggest a full AVR test that will test the battery, alternator, and starter and idle and with load, as well as measure battery CCA's and test for parasidic draws on your electrical system.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:07 PM
jdjones2010
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nick49
These cars require a battery tender if they are not a DD. They have lots of things going on when parked and not running that consume current.
I was having the same problem & this is what I finally did. Now, it's ready anytime you're ready (mine's set up to where you just plug it in or un-plug it) to me that's alot easier than having to fool with the terminal clamps! Even though I usually drive it at least every couple of days, this is quick & easy & you have a Full Charge! jmo

Quick Reply: Good battery not keeping charge