Good battery not keeping charge

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 05:41 AM
agerada
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Good battery not keeping charge

Hi All

I have an issue with the car battery not holding a full charge. The battery is new and I do not suspect it.

I suspect something is draining it while the car is standing.

If the car is not used and in the space of 24 hrs, the battery will go from 12.6v, which is a full charge, down to 12.35v which is somewhere around 60-65% full.

The car is a 2001 C2 tip, is kept in the garage, not locked or alarmed and the key is taken out of the ignition.

Any ideas would be welcome, thanks.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:04 AM
jackarelli
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!
When the car is running does the volt meter show at 14v.
If its not around the 14v mark it would say to me your alternator is the next suspect part you need to investigate!

Jack
Old 08-14-2012, 07:37 AM
agerada
Intermediate

The alternator shows 14v and more when started and settles on just below 14v.

My issue is that the battery is dropping from full to 60-65% while the car is not used for a day.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:41 AM
agerada
Intermediate

I did think of the alternator because they are susceptible to damage from water ingress and at some stage I believed that it was the culprit, but it has since behaved better. I'll explain why.

Have you noticed how much water gets trapped in the rear lid after washing the car? When I open the lid after a wash there is an unusually high amount of water that falls out of the lid.

Some of this water will fall onto the alternator and if left there, will eventually rust and/or compromise the alternator's bearings, brushes and electronic components.

I now place some plastic over the motor, under the lid to wash the car to keep the water away mainly from the alternator. After finished washing I take the plastic out and run the car proper to dry the remaining water.

Previously the water did effect my alternator, but I think it has survived since I have been keeping it dry, the voltage output is currently showing just above 13.5v which I am told is the minimum to expect from a good alternator.

BTW water entering the air filter is not a problem as it just runs out of holes on the bottom.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:53 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

I believe you need to lock your car in order for it to shut down most of it's electronics. After a few days of being locked it goes into a power save mode and even turns off the electronic locks.

-S.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:22 AM
agerada
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
I believe you need to lock your car in order for it to shut down most of it's electronics. After a few days of being locked it goes into a power save mode and even turns off the electronic locks.

-S.
Thanks Ubermensch, I'll try that and see what difference it makes.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:42 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes I heard the same. To lock up th car even in the garage when you leave it for any lengh of time. Saves on the battery someway or another.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:41 AM
EDoyle
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Do you have a Boomerang installed on the car? These tracking systems are known to drain batteries as they never allow the car to fully "go to sleep".
Old 08-14-2012, 11:47 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

These cars require a battery tender if they are not a DD. They have lots of things going on when parked and not running that consume current.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:55 AM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine does exactly like yours does,
I think it's normal.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:35 PM
Kris79
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just wanted to put it out there, check the date the battery was made and sold to you, plenty of times a battery's have sold but has been sitting on the shelf to long and has to be exchanged for warranty.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:13 PM
agerada
Intermediate

No boomerang or similar device installed.

The car is almost a daily driver, I don't go for more than 24hrs without finding a reason to drive it.

I'll lock it from now on between drives to see what difference that makes and will report back.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:30 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 222 Likes on 167 Posts

Locking it will turn off some systems immediately and even more systems after 5 days. However if yours is running down in 24 hours I would say something is going on. I always lock mine every time. But mine can easily sit for a week without any issues. Just remember that if it sits for over 5 days your key fob will not unlock the door. You must unlock the door with the key and then get the key in the ignition and turn it at least to the first on position within about a minute or the alarm will go off. I would put it on a battery tender every night until you get it figured out.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:19 PM
Revn29k00
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've recently experienced some trouble with the car starting. The last few times I have started the car it is having a hard time turning over. I checked the battery voltage when it was running and it was at 14v but before I turned it on it was 11.9v. Is this the same issue that you have had? I guess I should probably get my battery checked out
Old 08-14-2012, 10:56 PM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been having the exact same issue ever since a new battery was installed a month or two ago. After a night on the charger, car would start and run fine, positive charge on the gauge, alternator tested in spec when the battery was replaced. Went back the the indie who checked the battery, turns out there were three dead cells. Unfortunately I'm having the same problem with the second battery but have been away for the last few weeks so I haven't had a chance to deal with it.
FWIW all was well with the original battery I replaced it as preventive maintenance....Oh well, i guess, If it ain't broke...

Quick Reply: Good battery not keeping charge