Sponsored by:

REBUILT CAB TOP HYDRO CYLINDERS

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 09:42 AM
996 FAN
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REBUILT CAB TOP HYDRO CYLINDERS

My 1999 cabro convertilbe top stop working properly while opening and closing. Did a lil online research and took to indy mech, who discovered cab convertible top hydraulic cylinders were leaking, recommended replacing both. I looked on line with quotes of $1400. He saved me $$ by removing them both and sending them out to get rebuilt at half the cost. Just wanted to pass on in case this happens to your top.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:16 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Where were the cylinders sent to be rebuilt?
Old 08-10-2012, 05:47 PM
pesuazo
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by frisbee91
I have used this place (in the past, for other cars):

tophydraulicsinc.com
Old 08-10-2012, 11:20 PM
996 FAN
Advanced

I'll have to get with my indy.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:35 AM
ulflei
AutoX

I just bought a Porsche but had several years a SL320,I had all cylinder replaced (repaired)and can recommend Klaus from Top Cylinder give him a call you will not find a more helpful and knowledgeable guy.Tell him I recommended him he will take good care of you

Top Hydraulics, Inc.
90730 Southview Lane
Florence, OR 97439

(541) 902 3214 (main line)
(541) 870 9787 (technician on call)

Best regards

Ulf
Old 03-24-2016, 09:47 PM
JWP
Intermediate

Just received two cylinder from tophydraulic and had them install at a local shop. Seemed to work well but then I noticed that the up/down bottom light was on. I attempted opening and closing and things worked even thought the light was on. After cleaning up the car and trying to put the top up, it did not work. I plan to go back to the shop tomorrow but I thought I'd contact fellow rennlist member first.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:01 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JWP
Just received two cylinder from tophydraulic and had them install at a local shop. Seemed to work well but then I noticed that the up/down bottom light was on. I attempted opening and closing and things worked even thought the light was on. After cleaning up the car and trying to put the top up, it did not work. I plan to go back to the shop tomorrow but I thought I'd contact fellow rennlist member first.
Spring is here and now the cab owners start to get problems with the soft top action. Make sure that your battery is in tip top condition and fully charged. That's the first thing I would check. Auto Zone will do the check for free. Also try action from the key in the drivers door. Continuously holding the key to the left, top goes down. Continuously holding key to the right, top goes up. Frunk and engine lid should be closed and handbrake in full on position.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:14 AM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I also hope that my soft-top will work fine for this upcoming Easter Weekend with nice weather in the forecast. Enjoy everyone, cheers...
Old 03-25-2016, 01:11 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

I've got an '05 SL500R sitting in my garage with a top with badly leaking hydraulic cylinders. I've got to pull all 11 of them and send them off to get rebuilt. Apparently if you just try to do one cylinder at a time, the ones that weren't leaking before will start leaking shortly. So, best to have them all rebuilt at once. I think it is a matter of "when" rather than "if" on all convertibles with hydraulic cylinders, at least from what I've read. Think of them like a cloth convertible roof - if you get 10 years out of it, you did good.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:23 PM
dgi 07
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kcattorney
I've got an '05 SL500R sitting in my garage with a top with badly leaking hydraulic cylinders. I've got to pull all 11 of them and send them off to get rebuilt. Apparently if you just try to do one cylinder at a time, the ones that weren't leaking before will start leaking shortly. So, best to have them all rebuilt at once. I think it is a matter of "when" rather than "if" on all convertibles with hydraulic cylinders, at least from what I've read. Think of them like a cloth convertible roof - if you get 10 years out of it, you did good.
Might as well replace the flaps while you are there, Frequently go bad on those.

Quick Reply: REBUILT CAB TOP HYDRO CYLINDERS