996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Club run runs into trouble...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Dstutler
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what the sad story is - the impounding I guess? We all like to drive fast but don't they have radar detectors in Canada. With these extreme speeds - it only makes sense that you will be caught sooner or later. Especially if you're doing it with 3 other pcar drivers on a highly monitored road.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:28 PM
heligear
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just so you know that the police here are not targeting only sports cars, In a related but unreported story, the very next day the same Officer pulled over a pack of 4 Prius's running the same highway at the same high rate of speed, when pulled over 3 of the drivers in their mid 20's were given 300.00 gift certificates to the electrical outlet of their choice, the fourth a man in his mid 40's was given an additional 100.00 for having a save the Whales bumper sticker and a Great Bear rainforest T-shirt, also an additional 50.00 for being over 40, when asked why the high speeds by the Officer ( unconfirmed report, also a Prius owner) the Four said that they were quite sure that there was a Bear or Raccoon at Whistler in desperate need of help, or at least a hug, they were allowed to continue on their way with as little delay as possible.
You really have to live here.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:11 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In British Columbia Radar Detectors are legal. Many of the other provinces they are not.

John in Vancouver
Old 08-10-2012, 05:19 PM
CDLVancouver
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I love my 9500ix
I think they are illegal in manitoba and possiy saskatchewan too....the two places where you most definitely want to speed through
Old 08-10-2012, 06:50 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by laz74
You play, you pay.
+1
Old 08-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Hyper911
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Ya you play you pay bla bla bla. Seizingy our property without conviction is against even our charter, it would never fly in the US. But they get away with it due to all the street racing of several years ago. I agree to pay, just dont touch my car.
Ontario is the same, just drive carefully and watch the 50 over (km/h in Ont). I set my speed warning at 145 just to be safe. Lots of good and amazing reasons to live here, but this is not one of them.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:21 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I dont know if i can be sympathetic in this case. Group was caught one week, and the police let them off with a warning...they go to the same place one week later and are going 131KPH in an 80KPH zone ? They knew the risks, yet made a poor decision. Stupid. Seriously.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:25 PM
CDLVancouver
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well really they were doing 124 in a generally 90 zone at 630 am.
The only negative i have to say about it is that they shouldnt have gone for their usual tootle on the august long weekend.
But i think its just a tad over the top to seize the vehicles with all the other corcumstances .....
Old 08-11-2012, 10:27 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Putting your foot down

I'm surprised that no renn-lister suggested that p-car owners wishing to "put their foot down" should join their local PCA region and participate in DE events...much better place to have high speed fun than public roads.

relinuca
Old 08-11-2012, 11:45 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Probably because sometimes fun runs, caravans, cruises, etc... breach the local speedlimit.

I'd still go to Caribanna during the long weekend even though they ticket and tow.

Originally Posted by relinuca
I'm surprised that no renn-lister suggested that p-car owners wishing to "put their foot down" should join their local PCA region and participate in DE events...much better place to have high speed fun than public roads.

relinuca
Old 08-11-2012, 01:26 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Dstutler
Not sure what the sad story is - the impounding I guess? We all like to drive fast but don't they have radar detectors in Canada. With these extreme speeds - it only makes sense that you will be caught sooner or later. Especially if you're doing it with 3 other pcar drivers on a highly monitored road.
I think what most here(including myself) are referring to as sad are the comments made by the readers following the story.

Although, IMHO, you could certainly call it sad for a Porsche owner to have his car seized and impounded for a week for essentailly driving 80 MPH. And not driving 80 MPH in a quiet neighborhood mind you, this took place on what most people familiar with the road referred to as a major highway.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:47 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 996_North
I dont know if i can be sympathetic in this case. Group was caught one week, and the police let them off with a warning...they go to the same place one week later and are going 131KPH in an 80KPH zone ? They knew the risks, yet made a poor decision. Stupid. Seriously.
Was it the exact same group of cars that was issued the warning? Where did you read this? The article quoted above states that it was a "similar" group of cars that was issued a warning the week before, not the exact same group.

Look, I'm certainly not here to defend the Pcar owners as I agree with the pay to play comments. I have no problem with the cops issuing tickets to these drivers. What I do not agree with however, is the Canadian govt. seizing private property in this case. These guys were NOT racing nor were they driving fast through a quiet neighborhood. They were essentially driving 80 MPH on a major highway and it is over the top for the govt. to seize their cars in this scenario.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:45 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My point is that we all know the rules. Driving is a privelidge, not a right. So if you live in a province where they can impound for driving X Kilometres over the limit, then there is no sense complaining when you get caught. I've received my fair share of warnings and tickets over the years. I think if we feel we have unjust laws, we should put more effort in lobbying to change them and less in complaining about them.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:14 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

I wouldn't mind the 50km and over the limit law if the same penalty applied to the left lane bandits. Drive in the left lane for 1 min without passing and you lose your car for a week. That would empty out the left lane quickly. Same with fail to signal lane change. Don't get me started...
Old 08-11-2012, 10:24 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
I think what most here(including myself) are referring to as sad are the comments made by the readers following the story.

Although, IMHO, you could certainly call it sad for a Porsche owner to have his car seized and impounded for a week for essentailly driving 80 MPH. And not driving 80 MPH in a quiet neighborhood mind you, this took place on what most people familiar with the road referred to as a major highway.
Yanks wouldn't understand the type of individual that frequents and comments on CBC stories - they're loonies at the best of time as are most people that spend time commenting on news sites - you know like people that watch Fox News (). They are by no means representative of Canadians - heck if I judged going to the states based on a given American Law enforcement officers actions (I refer to the Kalamozoo cop/whack job on vacation in Calagary that got upset because he couldn't carry a concealed pistol while on vacation, then felt threatened when a couple of guys chatted to his wife and him in a park - absolutely loonie IMO) i couldn't conclude by that that all Americans are paranoid nut jobs - can I ??

Quick Reply: Club run runs into trouble...