Sponsored by:

Brake Light Failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 11:33 AM
Don McK
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Light Failure

I'm a new 2000 996 Cariolet owner. (Picked up car yesterday) I had an electrical gremlin strike on the way home in the form of a complete failure of all three brake lights. The Brake/Cruise control fuse checks okay, the bulbs are fine and the brake pedal switch appears to be functional. (Normally open on one set of contacts and normally closed on the other.) Have any of you experienced simular symptoms, or have any advice on how to proceed?

Thanks,

Don
Old 08-08-2012, 12:32 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

First post should be a picture of car and we welcome you.
We know nothing of this car,was it in storage and not driven?
If fuse is OK then rodents could have chewed through insulation and wires.
Or there is a chaffe sport somewher.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:18 PM
Don McK
Track Day

I may have been a bit hasty and forgot my manners in my rush to solve this problem. I've been lurking on the site since last year, but was more active here about ten years ago.

This is my fourth Porsche. (911SC, 944S, 993 Carrera Coupe) This particular car has been well cared for as a fair weather driver. Total mileage is 50,000. While chafe could be at issue, rodent damage is highly unlikely. Everything initially pointed toward a brake pedal switch failure. As mentioned, both sides of the switch show continuity in the appropriate positions. My question was directed toward whether anyone else had experienced a simular symptom and how it was resolved.

This is the car in question. It's Midnight Blue.
Name:  996.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  64.2 KB

Thanks,

Don
Old 08-08-2012, 03:26 PM
Mickey356
Rennlist Member

Brake pedal switch is pretty cheap and easy to replace just to be sure. It's what was causing mine. Replaced it and no issues since.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Don McK
Track Day

I'm beginning to think the switch was made by that old prince of darkness, Lucas. It resisted all attempts to diagnose its true condition. I finally jumpered the contacts in the harness connector at the pedal and shazam, the lights work. I have an order off for a new switch.

Thanks,

Don

Quick Reply: Brake Light Failure