Sponsored by:

Going Electric with my 996!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 07:47 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

My plan was to do a Boxster -- and by using the OEM serpentine system
and stock wiring system -- then I could use the ECU/Climate Control and run ABS, already have a Power Steering and AC solution and
just use my Alternator as my DC/DC solution.

Was going to use the clutch Warp 11, Soliton.
I was going Lithium Ion, that had dropped to an almost reasonable level by last fall.
Hadn't figured out my Charger, but had a lot of stuff figured out.

Mike
Old 08-25-2012, 02:46 AM
rustymon
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I posted a separate thread asking about this, but I'm hoping to replace my stock Turbo Twists with some Sport Technos, primarily because it will save 60-80lbs, but I also think they will look great. The question is this: Should I go with the 11" wide wheel in the rear or stick with a 10" wide wheel that I have now? Both were offered by Porsche. The fronts were only offered as 8" wide. I'm sticking with 18" diameter wheels.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:52 AM
rustymon
Banned

Why did you say WAS for all these? You should join me in the electric conversion craziness with which I am now obsessed! Honestly, I am so excited about this... Driving our Nissan Leaf is a pleasure (different than my 996, mind you). Now, put the fun into the pleasure of electric... I can't wait! OK, now that said, I have to catch my breath and realize I have to pay for all of this...

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
My plan was to do a Boxster -- and by using the OEM serpentine system
and stock wiring system -- then I could use the ECU/Climate Control and run ABS, already have a Power Steering and AC solution and
just use my Alternator as my DC/DC solution.

Was going to use the clutch Warp 11, Soliton.
I was going Lithium Ion, that had dropped to an almost reasonable level by last fall.
Hadn't figured out my Charger, but had a lot of stuff figured out.

Mike
Old 08-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rustymon
Well, after loving my first two months of ownership, I finally have to face the fact that I purchased my car ('99 cabriolet) with one real goal in mind - to try and create a no-excuses ELECTRIC daily driver that didn't cost over $100K like the Tesla Roadster. Heck, ask my wife and simply having 4 seats is more than enough to make the car better than a roadster, but I digress...
fyi...........http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...m-a123-systems
Old 08-26-2012, 09:04 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Originally Posted by rustymon
Why did you say WAS for all these? OK, now that said, I have to catch my breath and realize I have to pay for all of this...
Well that was reason #1 the first time and reason #2 the second.

The latest #1 is that the wife said I have too many projects.

Mike

Last edited by txhokie4life; 08-26-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:05 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

looks like you're just in time!

16:41 27Aug12 RTRS-Motor racing-Global electric car series to launch in 2014
By Alan Baldwin
LONDON, Aug 27 (Reuters) - A new 'Formula E' global series of city centre electric car races will start in 2014 after motor sport's governing body licensed the commercial rights to a Hong Kong-based consortium.
A statement on Monday said London-based Spanish businessman Enrique Banuelos will be lead investor in Formula E Holdings Ltd, with compatriot and fellow shareholder Alejandro Agag serving as chief executive.
British businessman Paul Drayson, a former Science Minister and amateur racing driver who runs Drayson Racing Technologies, is also involved in a project that will cost about 50 million euros ($62.59 million) to launch.
The promoters said that the series, sanctioned by the International Automobile Federation (FIA), aimed for races in at least 10 different cities - of which five will be in Europe.
Proposed locations worldwide include Hong Kong, Shanghai and Beijing as well as Mumbai, Sydney, Cape Town, Rio de Janeiro, Moscow, Mexico City, Miami and Los Angeles.
Agag told Reuters that there was already an agreement in place with Rio while a race around Berlin's Brandenburg Gate would be the first choice for Germany.
The plans are for a grid of 10 teams and 20 drivers in 2014, expanding to 14 teams the following year, with entrants able to use their own cars or one based on a Formulec EF01 prototype which has already achieved a top speed of 240kph.
Races will be an hour in duration but because the batteries will last only 15-20 minutes, there will be two pitstops scheduled with drivers having to change cars. "This new competition at the heart of major cities is certain to attract a new audience," FIA president Jean Todt said in the statement.
"The new events will provide a great way to engage the younger generation. This spectacular series will offer both entertainment and a new opportunity to share FIA values with a wide audience as clean energy, mobility and sustainability."
The season-winning team will get 2.0 million euros and race winning drivers will share a 4.0 million euro prize fund.
Agag expected the championship to become the framework for research and development around the electric car.
"We don't expect the big carmakers to step into Formula E in the beginning. The industry is not too familiar with electric racing. But I am sure they will come in in a second stage," he told Reuters.
"We are open to any partnership with a big carmaker."
Agag, a son-in-law of former Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Aznar, already owns teams in the Formula One support series GP2 and GP3 under his Addax investment brand.
The financier also joined F1 commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone and former Renault team boss Flavio Briatore in buying English soccer club Queens Park Rangers, subsequently sold to Malaysian aviation entrepreneur Tony Fernandes who owns the Caterham Formula One team.
($1 = 0.7989 euros)
Old 08-27-2012, 01:29 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Seriously --having to prepare two complete cars -- I would think a quick connect
battery system would be way more feasible.

imagine something along the center channel. blade connector in front and rear.

lift the entire car -- drop pack. wheel out the old pack, roll in new, drop car and roll.

Mike
Old 08-27-2012, 01:57 PM
rustymon
Banned

Nice article - yeah, the problem with battery technology is that it is like computer technology... always something better promised around the corner. Unfortunately I'm building now, not next year. If I waited I'm sure there'd be another reason to wait again when that tech appears... I should have the battery manufacturer chosen shortly and will share when I've got more details.

Originally Posted by 03996
Old 08-30-2012, 08:22 PM
rustymon
Banned

Looking like CALB CA high capacity cells, probably an 11" Warp motor, but still some research to be done... Kirk, the guy that is doing the work, has the motor recently removed from The White Zombie, an electric drag-racer in Portland, OR. He said they could be mine if they fit (which they probably won't)... I said they'd be better off in a car that was actually going to be raced and not just a daily driver, but who knows... in any case, I'm getting excited... just a few weeks away from starting the conversion!

Last edited by rustymon; 08-30-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:46 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Your mechanic will be going to Hawaii this Christmas.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:59 PM
rustymon
Banned

Well, finally got the full list of parts and an estimate on time involved... approx a $29K conversion! Ouch, but still, I'm convinced this will be one fun EV when done - yes, that price includes everything - parts, labor, shipping... A list of the primary parts are below:

- 1000A Zilla Controller
- 9" Warp Motor
- $11K in Lithium batteries, giving just over 100mi range, 75mi to 20% capacity

We're going to have the battery management system (BMS) output a video signal to a double-din head unit. We can switch video between the BMS and a backup camera. The controller settings will be adjustable via an iPhone connector. We're also adding a high performance clutch to handle the increase in instant torque.

According to the tech/mechanic doing the work "That’s 201 horsepower into the motor, but with responsiveness and torque that gas engines dream about." I was a bit concerned about the HP number, as I know what he's spec'd out should keep us at about a 5sec 0-60 clip (better than stock) but I wasn't sure what it would do to a high speed acceleration - say 60-80mph. If I want to increase power it would take about $5K-$6K more because several parts would have to be upgraded - the motor, a 2000A controller and more batteries to make sure the voltage to the motor didn't sag under large power demands.

A couple of things to note: First, this conversion will keep all power systems intact. That means I'll still have A/C, Heat, power steering, power brakes etc. Often conversions forgo these luxuries, not this "no compromise" daily driver! The heating system will actually use ceramic heaters rather than the regular water heated system, so I'll have near instant heat on cold rainy days here in Oregon.

Second, although we are integrating a high performance clutch for sure, we haven't included ugrades to the suspension or brakes. Any advice if these will be required? We're guessing weight will be increased in the car by approximately 250lbs.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:18 PM
b8_rdc
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Goodbye resale value.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:50 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,427 Likes on 2,700 Posts

hello lots of weight - sort of like a wife in a 25 year marriage
Old 09-19-2012, 05:18 AM
rustymon
Banned

Goodbye Gas... Hello World. Goodbye establishment... Hello to trying something a bit different. Goodbye money... Hello to a car I'd better like when done. Goodbye other 996's in a 0-60 sprint... hello again if we continue to 100+mph!
Old 09-19-2012, 05:50 AM
thirteeneast
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on that.

Quick Reply: Going Electric with my 996!