niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Super impressive
Old 03-24-2014, 01:31 AM
rustymon
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some updates... not a ton of "Electric car" stuff, but good stuff none the less...

The rear deck-lid was heavier with all the equipment attached, so a second strut was installed to ensure that it will not fall and will rise and close just as it should. It was nice to see that Porsche had actually designed in a location for a second strut, so it wasn't hard to add!

New to me wheels were placed on the vehicle, rotors were painted to look less rusty and fit in, and new Bilstein HD struts were placed in all four corners. Initially I was considering other suspension options, however with the added weight the car already rides slightly lower than stock, and I wasn't ready to go further without significant time behind the completed car.

The one bit of electric car completed was the coolant system for the motor controller - coolant added and all is ready. The next week or two should see the final wiring of the Battery Management System (BMS) and hopefully a good start on the programming that will have all the components talking to the stock gauges properly. We'll see far how we get!
Old 04-04-2014, 04:31 PM
996electric
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job my colleague :-)
The water proofness is ok for your location where you are living (I can see it at the condition of your car).
Here in Germany, we have a lot of rain and spray, the winter is even worse. Here in the north we are known in Germany for tough winters with lots of salt and jumping through snow barriers on the road becasue of monthly "snow storm" - if we have a strong winter as 4 times in the last 6 years.

I did a conversion on a BMW Z3 and I drove it trough the winter this year, no issues, but I sealed everything against spray.

I have some pictures about the car on www.evehicle4u.de

Actually Im converting my 996 Coupe (bought for the conversion) to an electric drivetrain. All parts are in preparation and hopefully this summer I will be able to run some test drives on the road with the nice car.

Lithium Ion battery packs >30kWhs, AC Motor 150kW, everything water cooled and sealed. Top speed will be at least 130mph, but it could be possible to get 150mph for a few minutes, let's see. The range is planned for 185miles to 250miles.
Until that moment Im enjoying the Z3 convertible each day
Old 04-04-2014, 05:11 PM
rustymon
Banned

Hey 996electric - welcome and your project sounds great. I hope you have a better time getting things together than I did... I'm 1.5 years into the project now! I actually must admit, I did come across your site a while ago... wish I knew German...

Have you selected batteries? How are you planning on getting so many miles out of your pack? Are you going to sacrifice the rear seats, or keep them available for use? I'm happy to share my experience if it can be helpful. I'm sure we'll chat more!
Old 04-04-2014, 05:22 PM
rustymon
Banned

So, I'm overdue for an update as well... finishing up the wiring, programming on the BMS and even a LOW POWER TEST! Yes, the car is ROLLING! Low powered test drive went well. We have to work through a short list of issues, most of which were expected. None are catastrophic or expensive. I may get a little video this weekend, but here are some shots of the rear showing things more buttoned up...

Old 04-06-2014, 12:56 PM
996electric
5th Gear

Hi,

I have special batteries with a higher density, very expensive and they last really long, much longer than normal lithium ion batteries, which are also very fine for normal application. I will keep the the cabin as it is. From the outside you will only recognize the missing exhaust tails, as I did it on the BMW conversion.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:04 PM
Slide
Instructor

Subscribed!
Old 04-06-2014, 01:15 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

The only "conversion" that I am even remotely interested in. I really like this one!
Old 04-10-2014, 10:08 PM
rustymon
Banned

IT IS ALIVE!

I had to share this video - although not particularly interesting, you may hear two giddidy individuals as this Porsche 911 EV conversion goes on its first test drive.

Some notes:
- It sounds louder inside the car than it does outside, as much of it is still apart from the ongoing conversion.
- Note the Parrot Asteroid Smart stereo head-unit which is android powered, allowing us to use and OBDII connecter to pull data directly from the car and battery system and place it on the screen. (best shot toward end of video)
- During this test, the battery pack/system was limited to about 30% power, and we were only testing for some basic functionality.
- The BMS cut out at one point when we requested more than the limit would allow. "Man down!"
- Although we have a power steering system implemented, it was not turned on for this test. It works, but is currently a bit noisy, especially in a car that is otherwise silent!
- Much more work needs to be completed, and we found a couple issues. Fortunately nothing horrible.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:46 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Congrats on your first drive. I bet that felt great. Seems really weird not to hear anything at low speeds. Are you planning on putting in some noise maker for around town driving so pedestrians notice you? Also are you going to be wiring up the other unused gauges to something? I bet you can't wait to rip it at 100%.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:03 PM
Soaringman
Racer

Super cool
Old 04-10-2014, 11:57 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,471 Likes on 810 Posts

Awesome! Love this project.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:08 PM
rustymon
Banned

Thanks for all the positive feedback - I'm definitely excited myself! Yeah, really want to turn up the power, but not there yet... we're moving slow to make sure we don't make any mistakes.

Originally Posted by alpine003
Congrats on your first drive. I bet that felt great. Seems really weird not to hear anything at low speeds. Are you planning on putting in some noise maker for around town driving so pedestrians notice you? Also are you going to be wiring up the other unused gauges to something? I bet you can't wait to rip it at 100%.
Funny you should ask about sound... see the video below... I actually bought that app and played it in the car for a bit, only bummer is they don't have a P-car sound:

But to answer your question about pedestrians, I haven't thought much about adding a noise-maker to the outside... although the electric steering pump we got from a used MR2 could certainly fit that bill - it is LOUD! We're looking for ways to quiet it down or other alternatives. So, at this point, short answer is no, hoping to keep the ride as quiet as possible.

Regarding gauges, our hope is to make all fully functional. We're already 1/2 way through programming most of the dash lights to operate/communicate as they should (gas light for low batteries, engine light for system problem, etc). I think the only gauge we don't have a solid plan for is the oil pressure - but most should give feedback one way or another. The stereo interface will give more detail, show max/min values as well as averages over time. It can also show 0-60 times and other fun items. If you haven't played with the Torque app for android, I highly recommend it!
Old 04-12-2014, 01:35 AM
human911
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Great build! Congrats on the progress.. Put a digital gauge where the oil pressure gauge is maybe...
Old 04-12-2014, 10:00 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats! Looks awesome.

Quick Reply: Going Electric with my 996!