Sponsored by:

Best seat

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Rpompea
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best seat

New owner of a 2003 C4S, love it except for the seats. You sit on them instead of in them, if that makes sense.

So the question is this, is there a better 911 seat that I could get that would feel / fit better and not destroy the look of my new 911?
Attached Images  

Last edited by Rpompea; 08-03-2012 at 07:47 AM. Reason: add photo
Old 08-02-2012, 11:28 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What seats do you have? I like the sport seats in mine.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:36 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This, the regular seats on my 4s aren't as huggy as the m3 and s4 seats in my past cars.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:52 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Pics?
Old 08-03-2012, 12:25 AM
healey1968
Instructor

OP, I've heard there are upwards of 20 seat options from the Porsche factory. You'll have to post which seats you actually have.

I will say, the seats I have are slightly more 'on' that 'in' (compared to my old S2000). I'm actually happy about that for highway driving.

Ben
Old 08-03-2012, 01:25 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

I loved the seats in my old '86 3.2. Those were proper body-hugging seats.. Ones in my 996.. not very comfortable (I think the seat might be a lil too big for me)
Old 08-03-2012, 01:44 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 88 Posts

If you want a factory seat that hugs you, look no further than the 996 Euro GT3 seats. Pricey new, but you can often find them used if you have patience.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product..._Code=996seats
Old 08-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Look at Sparco R700P. Pricey but a very nice seat. Ive seen them listed for $1700 ea. shipped.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

So, from the picture you posted, what you have is the standard "Comfort" seat, meaning, there were no seating options ordered. Again, from the photo, it does not look like a full power/memory seat. Do you have heated seats?

The very good news is the basic comfort seat in a black interior can be easily swapped out for almost any seat you want, factory or aftermarket, and still look good as long as you do them in pairs, and stick with black fabrics/leather/whatever.

The bad news is there are vitually hundreds of choices of manufacturers, styles, fabrics, and options from which you can choose. The short answer is to figure out how to get into the SEMA show in Las Vegas in a couple months and see most of them and try out a bunch of them. Plus you would see many Porsches with aftermarket seats installed.

The long, hard, answer is to find a way to try out several Porsche seats before you buy. Thirty seconds in a race seat is way different than a 3 day road trip in that same seat.

For my money, almost any Recaro seat will work, look good, and fit easily. Doesn't have to be a factory unit. Recaro seats can be had at almost any price point, making a pair far more reasonable than a single high-end seat. Recaro made most of the seats found in 911's from the factory since 1964.

If you have heated seats now, get fabric (not leather) inserts on your new seats and you won't miss the heating.

When you eventually go to sell the car, you can put the original seats back in.

Also, if you ever choose to do Driver's Education events, the organizers usually require the front seats on both sides of the console to be exactly the same (equal safety for driver and instructor/student).

Last edited by Thundertub; 08-03-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Axeman
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I would go with Sport seats from a GT3 or a set of 997 seats huge difference in comfort and support.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Rpompea
Advanced

All good input,
vehicle in question has power memory seats without heat and I go to SEMA every year for work so I have my task ahead of me to find 2 sport seats.

Thanks
Old 08-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts

I think Thundertub's comments are spot on. My question for those of you that have tried alternate seats is whether there are any options that are both good on track as well as reasonable for the roadtrips? Are these things mutually exclusive? It seems like a fixed back seat that you have to climb into probably isn't going to be that convenient on a daily basis...
Old 08-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Cool

The absolute best all 'round seats I have EVER enjoyed for both road and track were installed as factory stock in the...

wait for it...

VW Golf TDi. Those specific seats and fabrics are exclusive to only the Golf TDi. I went to the annual new car show here a few years ago, tried every seat in every car, and was stunned (from Kia to Aston Martin) For comparison, I had a friend do a blind test on his own, and he came up with exactly the same answer. Went again a year later, same result. The GOLF TDi seats are NOT shared with any other Volkwagen model or Audi. They look very similar to the GOLF GTI seats, but are somehow different. More comfortable, and yet, even more supportive on the side bolsters for sport. I was able to jump between the two cars and the difference is amazing. They would be my first choice if I could figure out how to mount them in my car. LOL! Oh, and they are also made by Recaro...

My second choice is the seats that were standard in the 1994 Porsche 964 Speedster. Also made by Recaro, I had tried them a couple times and was amazed at their dual comfort (and I have a fat ***). I found a pair of them that were takeouts, and installed them in my 1965 356SC Coupe OUTLAW. Folks RAVED about them for both looks and comfort. Even my wife, and THAT is saying something. These seats are absolutely competition oriented, deep pocket, very high waist and thigh bolsters, with pass-throughs for 3" shoulder and waist belts. Yet, I did many a long trip in them as well. Every now and then, a set comes up for sale...
Old 08-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts

What do you have in your current C2?
Old 08-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
What do you have in your current C2?
LOL! Factory original "comfort" seats. However, my car was originally ordered with full black leather everything front and rear, full power/memory/heated seats with the Porsche Crest in the headrest, red seat belts, and red stitching on EVERYTHING front and rear, includng the seats. Any other seats would really look out of place. Last year, here on Rennlist, I found some original and year correct factory sport seats with red stitching and Porsche Crests, but I didn't want to give up the memory and heating functions. LOL! (Remember that Fat *** I have? It needs to be coddled when I'm not actually at the track. LOL!).

So for the few DE's I do a year, I slide in those 1994 911 Speedster seats I mentioned above, for the weekend, and I put a piece of black electrical tape over the airbag dash light until the original seats go back in.
You didn't think I let them go when I sold the 356 did you? LOL!

Quick Reply: Best seat