Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Does HJS sell catalytic converters by themselves or is it just wholesale?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 12:45 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Does HJS sell catalytic converters by themselves or is it just wholesale?

Need to buy catalytic converters and I already have spare pipes, so instead of spending $1700 or more, I figured to get the HJS cats and have them welded in after cutting existing out.

They sure look like the ones cargraphic uses. And they seem to (at least appearance wise) look better then others.

Any suggestions to alternatives or the model #? They seem to have differences in the way the matrix is wound up. Also, want to make sure I get sizing correct in terms of physical dimensions (I have to check the specs of the one linked to the OE one yet)

Also, with their description, they list a displacement size/hp, so I'm guessing that a 2.6l catalytic converter will suffice since each bank has a cat of its own.

I also don't see the hole for the 02 sensor in the catalyst below, and I do believe the OE has one, so need to look into that.

Model Number: 9095 0080

Max Engine Size per Catalyst: Up to 3.5 Liters per Catalyst; Up to 7.0 Liters w/ 2 Catalysts

Max HP per Catalyst: Up to 280 HP per Catalyst; Up to 560 HP w/ 2 Catalysts

In/Out Diameter: 2.76 in (70mm); Extendable to 3.5 in (88.9 mm)

Length: 9.45 in (240mm)

Outer Diameter: 4.76 in (121mm)

Weight: 5.11 lbs (2.3kg)

C.P.S.I.: 200 C.P.S.I.(Cells Per Square Inch); Hi-Flow

Air Flow: 80% - 90%

Function: OBD II, MOT, Euro 3, Euro 4

Country of Manufacture: Germany

Functions as Main Catalyst

Notes: To weld in
Old 08-02-2012, 01:22 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

I considered doing this before going to the x-pipe. What I figured is that it was still going to cost me about $1k plus fabrication to go this route. So I just decided to go with the $1700 purchase instead.

I will tell you on the x-pipe the O2 sensor is not on the cat itself but on the pipes.

The size of it looks like the one you listed above and in the case of the Fabspeed cats they use HJS themselves. I took a quick measurement of mine and it was a little over 6 inches in terms of the barrel size, then add another 1.5 on each side for the flange.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 08-02-2012, 02:19 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

The problem I have w/ the xpipe is that if one catalytic converter goes down, the entire system goes down. The OE system gives the opportunity to at least address one component. And I've had so many replacements that i'm weary of a lot of aftermarket solutions already. Unless fabspeed can guarantee that the cat won't burn out following a track event, i want to look at the cheapest possible solution.

Not only do I have to address replacing my current street system as the catalyst structure is cracked again, but having something fabricated that will allow me to swap components before and after a track event.

The other thing is that I am not fond of the chrome and the system brings attention to itself as not having a similar patina as the OE system.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Ive done over 10 events with my x-pipe. No problems so far. FS has a 1 year warranty. Check with LC motorsports to see if the cargraphic has a longer warranty. Cargraphics are sold individually also.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:37 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jyoteen
The problem I have w/ the xpipe is that if one catalytic converter goes down, the entire system goes down. The OE system gives the opportunity to at least address one component. And I've had so many replacements that i'm weary of a lot of aftermarket solutions already. Unless fabspeed can guarantee that the cat won't burn out following a track event, i want to look at the cheapest possible solution.

Not only do I have to address replacing my current street system as the catalyst structure is cracked again, but having something fabricated that will allow me to swap components before and after a track event.

The other thing is that I am not fond of the chrome and the system brings attention to itself as not having a similar patina as the OE system.
Good points and one I thought of as well. I figured if my cats do go bad I'll probably weld in new ones myself. I like the thought of the x-pipe and you can clearly see the HJS cats are just welded into place and could, in theory, be replaced.

If you like the separate factory style I was given this option when I was shopping for my cats: http://www.awe-tuning.com/products/p...96exhaust.html

As for the polished look of the stainless steel. Well it only stays really shiny for a short period of time. Eventually the heat causes it to discolor and it's not quite as flashy as it was out of the box. Below is perhaps the most unflattering shot of my car, on the left is the PSE pipe and on the right is the Fabspeed component. At this point it's about 3 months old so I think in time it'll discolor even further.
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

I don't think there's any need to mount the O2 sensor in the cat as long as it's right before the cat as space allows.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jyoteen

Model Number: 9095 0080

Max Engine Size per Catalyst: Up to 3.5 Liters per Catalyst; Up to 7.0 Liters w/ 2 Catalysts

Max HP per Catalyst: Up to 280 HP per Catalyst; Up to 560 HP w/ 2 Catalysts

In/Out Diameter: 2.76 in (70mm); Extendable to 3.5 in (88.9 mm)

Length: 9.45 in (240mm)

Outer Diameter: 4.76 in (121mm)

Weight: 5.11 lbs (2.3kg)

C.P.S.I.: 200 C.P.S.I.(Cells Per Square Inch); Hi-Flow

Air Flow: 80% - 90%

Function: OBD II, MOT, Euro 3, Euro 4

Country of Manufacture: Germany

Functions as Main Catalyst

Notes: To weld in
Todd is on vacation this week. He has access to the pricing of the cats alone.

You want me find out what we can do for you?

My email is the same. Let me know...
Old 08-08-2012, 12:11 AM
kgoertz
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are looking to replace the stock cats with a similar design you might want to check out MaxSpeed Motorsports. After comparing against Fabspeed I decided to buy their X-pipe cat for my 996 and I've been very happy with it so far. Build quality was excellent, sound is an improvement over stock, and the price was good.

They also sell cats with the same design as stock. I was contemplating that option for exactly the same reason but in the end decided to try the upgrade mostly for improved sound.

http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/996catpipes.html
Old 08-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kgoertz
If you are looking to replace the stock cats with a similar design you might want to check out MaxSpeed Motorsports. After comparing against Fabspeed I decided to buy their X-pipe cat for my 996 and I've been very happy with it so far. Build quality was excellent, sound is an improvement over stock, and the price was good.

They also sell cats with the same design as stock. I was contemplating that option for exactly the same reason but in the end decided to try the upgrade mostly for improved sound.

http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/996catpipes.html
Best pricing Ive seen for 200 cell cats. Thanks for posting.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:56 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Cargraphic is a 2 year warranty... on all components. While we can work out specials on small defects longer then that....
Old 08-09-2012, 01:16 AM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LC MotorSports
The Cargraphic is a 2 year warranty... on all components. While we can work out specials on small defects longer then that....
I am thinking this does not apply to just the catalytic components and certainly not to tracked vehicles? Granted my track days are few and far between these days, but even a single day is enough to kill these things.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:39 AM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 years even on tracked cars.

Quick Reply: Does HJS sell catalytic converters by themselves or is it just wholesale?