Help With Used Car Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 10:56 AM
boatyrddog
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With Used Car Purchase

Hello to All:
My first post here after months of reading/learning.....is there anyone close to this dealer, or familiar with them, that could possibly check out this car for me? I am stuck @ work for the next 10 days before I would be able to see the car. Also does anyone know of a reputable independent mechanic in the Owings Mills Md area for a PPI, or should I just use the Local Porsche dealership? Thanks in advance for your help.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...item4d02658c5f
Old 07-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't think it is wise to ask another member to check a car out for you as thats a lot of responsability to put on someone elses shoulders. The car looks good on paper. Right milage. Not many mods from stock. I would suggest you buy the Auto check with 26 issues on it. No price mentioned on the car. If they are asking around $20000 it would be good to check it out further. As far as a local dealership doing the PPI for you, you will probably find that the car already has one with it. Not to say that every little thing has been inspected. I hope that you know all the little things that need looking at with the 996 as the dealer can 'overlook' things that need attention in his bid to sell the vehicle. An independant PPI would be the 'way to go' with instructions for them to check out particular weak spots with the 996.... Good luck.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:03 PM
boatyrddog
4th Gear

Thanks Hurdigurdiman:
I did not mean to imply for someone close to get in depth. Just wanted to ask about general condition of this car if you or whoever was close by and also curious about dealer and their reputation. Thanks for the tidbits about dealer vs. independent for PPI also
Old 07-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
I don't think it is wise to ask another member to check a car out for you as thats a lot of responsability to put on someone elses shoulders. The car looks good on paper. Right milage. Not many mods from stock. I would suggest you buy the Auto check with 26 issues on it. No price mentioned on the car. If they are asking around $20000 it would be good to check it out further. As far as a local dealership doing the PPI for you, you will probably find that the car already has one with it. Not to say that every little thing has been inspected. I hope that you know all the little things that need looking at with the 996 as the dealer can 'overlook' things that need attention in his bid to sell the vehicle. An independant PPI would be the 'way to go' with instructions for them to check out particular weak spots with the 996.... Good luck.
It's been pretty common here on Rennlist for someone to see if there is a local Rennlisters to give the car a once over before getting deeper into the process, just to even make sure it's PPI worthy. I have checked out cars for many Rennlisters in the past and it's been my pleasure to help.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't have my C4S if it wasn't for the amazing support of people on this board and their willingness to check out a particular car for me. I never, for a second, thought of them as being responsible for anything and always appreciated their candid thoughts about the cars and the pictures they took! As Marc pointed out, it was the difference between moving forward with a PPI and discussions with the seller or not...especially since so many of the cars were on the opposite coast!

-Eric

P.S. Boaty, definitely get a PPI regardless of where your heart is after you've negotiated a price. And, if the PPI comes back with significant unknown problems you should either walk away or, if it makes sense, renegotiate the price.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeh.. maybe I should have said... Ok as long as the person looking at the car is not held responsible for something he may overlook or miss. Personally speaking I would not get a ppi on any car unless I had first test driven it. I know there are cars on the other side of the USA for sale but I would only be interested in one that was within 100 miles of where I live. Patience is a virtue and I don't have much of that haha.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:26 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Aweful low mileage, means it has been sitting for long periods of time, a death knell for Porsches IMHO.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have no personal knowledge of AMG but a quick Google turns up a couple angry customers. What used car dealer doesn't have a few, right? As usual, be smart and do your homework.

The nearest dealer is Len Stoler, also in Owings Mills. I would not waste your money on them. The service department is completely unreliable. The best nearby dealer IMHO is in Silver Spring, about 40 min. from Owings Mills.

There is a nearby indy called Ralph's but they are almost exclusively air-cooled guys and didn't have much 996 experience when I was looking to install a sport suspension. I have all my work done at GT Performance in Edgewood, MD and they are excellent but it's about 45 min from Owings Mills.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
It's been pretty common here on Rennlist for someone to see if there is a local Rennlisters to give the car a once over before getting deeper into the process, just to even make sure it's PPI worthy. I have checked out cars for many Rennlisters in the past and it's been my pleasure to help.
+996

I've checked out a couple. I just note obvious damage/respray, tire wear, etc. It just may eliminate a car for a PPI if the buyer is aware of external condition.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:06 PM
machbx
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM
Aweful low mileage, means it has been sitting for long periods of time, a death knell for Porsches IMHO.
I have to agree - when I started looking - I was always told (by Porsche dealerships) that I didn't want a 911 w 80k or more miles bc the engine e would be about shot - then on the forums I read I didn't want a 911 w low miles bc of the sitting on the tender.

I think that both have their problems. But I know that the interior of a car that has 80k looks it imho
Old 07-09-2012, 09:25 PM
boatyrddog
4th Gear

Thanks to all who took the time to reply....got some work to do upon my returning home from work
Old 07-10-2012, 08:04 AM
rednerrus
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by machbx
I have to agree - when I started looking - I was always told (by Porsche dealerships) that I didn't want a 911 w 80k or more miles bc the engine e would be about shot - then on the forums I read I didn't want a 911 w low miles bc of the sitting on the tender.

I think that both have their problems. But I know that the interior of a car that has 80k looks it imho
false. i got my 99 996 with 84k and all my (non porsche) friends think its brand new lol
Old 07-10-2012, 09:26 AM
machbx
Instructor

Originally Posted by rednerrus
false. i got my 99 996 with 84k and all my (non porsche) friends think its brand new lol
That's great! But I would be able to tell by the leather carpet mats stereo **** shifter - lots of things - I have been a car grrl all my life - mostly american muscle - but I have seen at least a couple thousand leather interiors. Nice to see an exception - but I take care of mine - I bet your PO did too!
Old 07-10-2012, 11:23 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Several here helped me by doing a walk around inspection and giving me a report during my almost 1 year search for a Turbo. I'm happy to reciprocate, and have for a few.

Half a dozen "mint" and "pristine" cars I had checked, were anything but. A quick look over by a current enthusiast owner can at least let you know if the car may be worth pursuing and going forward with a PPI.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:31 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
+996 if it was in the Dallas area, I'd be glad to help, err drive it for you.

Quick Reply: Help With Used Car Purchase