Sponsored by:

Me, the Machbx 911 C4, Judge Alex and the IMSB

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 08:16 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 909 Posts

I believe that the media now refer to global warming to "climate change" because the average temperature of the earth is actually trending cooler rather than warmer...

Old 06-23-2012, 09:59 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I believe that the media now refer to global warming to "climate change" because the average temperature of the earth is actually trending cooler rather than warmer...

Yes, that's the picture put about by the deniers. However, the real scientific facts are quite different.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:59 PM
CDLVancouver
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The scientific community always called it global climate change because some regions would get hotter and others cooler....but all regions will see extreme weather in either direction
Old 06-23-2012, 10:59 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

It all depends on which facts you read!

This issue in particular bothers me because it has become a political issue and it's difficult to find legitimate facts that support either argument.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Mark Rindner
Advanced

What I'm hearing is that Matchbox bought her 996 from a dealer or private party and the car had some existing flaws that cost her $3500 to fix. She made a claim in her local court system against the seller for non-disclosure of the car's condition. The TV show got wind of this, and offered to put her on the show. An expert witness for the prosecution was an expert Porsche Tech. Her issue in the suit was NOT the IMS bearing. After the show, she asked him his personal opinion of the IMS issue. You all read his answer. I totally agree with his statement. If an $800 investment can pretty much insure the avoidance of a mega $$$ engine catastrophe, I'm way in on that. I did mine along with my clutch about 5000 miles ago. I thoroughly enjoy my car, I don't have to wonder if I'm going to be one of the unlucky ones whose motor goes Boom because of this bearing taking a dump. Thanks, Matchbox for the post. BTW, my original bearing that was removed looked kind of OK, but I'm glad I don't have to think about it anymore.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

That's the way I interpret it too.

The problem is that with any IMSB discussion, you'll get lots and lots of opinions. These will support both sides of the "argument". I agree with the thought that you should replace your bearing, and that the new ceramic designs are better than the OE bearing. That being said, it's no guarantee that you won't have a catastrophic engine failure. The new bearings fail too. I don't lose sleep over it, but I know lots of people do.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:31 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

mchbx:

So I guess you didn't ask whether the M97 motors (IMSB not serviceable from the outside) were any better than the M96 motors eh? That matters a lot to some of us, but not at all to the majority.

Also - can you tell the story again about your avatar. Great photo.

With regards climate change...have any of you warmist types realized yet that global GHG emissions are increasing despite all of the hype and awareness you spew, and that emissions will continue to increase in the absence of a very significant technology shift.

As the lower classes in developing countries - China and India in particular - get powered up, install floor covering in their homes, get hot and cold running water and flush toilets and finally get all of those basic things that we first worlders take for granted, emissions will continue to increase. This will happen whether or not you recycle your kitchen waste or switch to paper bags instead of plastic bags.

Without a significant technology shift - to technology that doesn't yet exist - emissions will continue to increase and the planet will warm. No amount of dicking around here and there will change that, and no amount of bleeting and blaming and "raising awareness" will change that.

Deal with it. Sorry guys. I'm not a denier, but I know enough to realize that warmists think they can make difference, but they simply can't.

Last edited by jasper; 06-24-2012 at 04:54 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:48 PM
Mark Rindner
Advanced

I'm with you on that Jasper. How long can we pee in the pool before the pool gets pissy? Anyone who thinks the world is the same now as it was before the industrial revolution is just not paying attention. Hey, I love the thrust of those six cylinders burning fossil fuel. But me getting a Prius won't turn this around. The technology that replaces internal combustion gasoline engines had better be fun enough for all of ut to want to buy it. Until someone can convince the oil companies to iinvest in the R&D necessary to develop the next stage in the evolution of technology, it"s probably not going to happen. The car companies can barely keep their doors open in this recessionary economy, let alone spend on developing a new form of locomotion.
Didn't mean to go so far off topic but so be it...
Old 06-23-2012, 11:50 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure that taking an IMS thread off topic is such a bad thing!
Old 06-24-2012, 01:41 AM
CDLVancouver
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ya i dont think anyone on this forum would be arguing in favour of bicycle transportation only...despite what some certain city mayors may think. But jasper youve totally hit the nail on the head wrt progress ...with the developing world, well, developing, some in the developed world (read us of a) will use that as their excuse as to why they dont have to cut emmissions. Well at thenational level anyway...at the state/provincial/city level progress is being made and not by everyone driving prius'. Building tech is a huge factor and that is being addressed.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:32 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jasper
mchbx:

So I guess you didn't ask whether the M97 motors (IMSB not serviceable from the outside) were any better than the M96 motors eh? That matters a lot to some of us, but not at all to the majority.

Also - can you tell the story again about your avatar. Great photo.

With regards climate change...have any of you warmist types realized yet that global GHG emissions are increasing despite all of the hype and awareness you spew, and that emissions will continue to increase in the absence of a very significant technology shift.

As the lower classes in developing countries - China and India in particular - get powered up, install floor covering in their homes, get hot and cold running water and flush toilets and finally get all of those basic things that we first worlders take for granted, emissions will continue to increase. This will happen whether or not you recycle your kitchen waste or switch to paper bags instead of plastic bags.

Without a significant technology shift - to technology that doesn't yet exist - emissions will continue to increase and the planet will warm. No amount of dicking around here and there will change that, and no amount of bleeting and blaming and "raising awareness" will change that.

Deal with it. Sorry guys. I'm not a denier, but I know enough to realize that warmists think they are can make difference, but they simply can't.
We can make a difference, each of us acting separately eventually means all of us working together. It's really that simple.

I'd love to have a discussion with you guys on this topic, but this isn't the forum for it. All I will say is that 98% of the climatologists believe that we, humans, are a major cause of the planet warming, and the warming is real.

That's all I will say on this subject. Like the IMS bearing, deniers will believe what they want in spite of facts to the contrary.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:26 AM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by machbx
Bunch of bitchy little girls Always whining that PNA won't say anything about the IMSB... Well, I had no trouble talking about it in depth - but that was on my own time. So
Wow - All I was saying is that Judge Alex is almost as popular as Judge Judy - it was for those who were not familiar with the show. This in no way was a comment about an expert witness nor about PNA.

Every Porsche mechanic I have spoken with admits to knowing about it. Some have never personally dealt with a bad IMSB, others have experienced a few.

I've heard anything from no one knows for sure if the IMSB is the root cause or collateral damage from some other internal failure, one mechanic with 17 years at a Porsche dealership has never seen a failed IMSB at the shop but suspects that it is moisture related, from owners who do not drive the car regularly and who frequently do short runs, another says it is from strectching oil change intervals, and another said he replaced 1 on it's way out and had replaced 2 engines where in both cases the cars were well maintained and driven 12k to 15k miles per year.

So who really knows why, all we know is that it does happen.

And I happen to enjoy Judge Judy so if that makes me a bitchy little girl I am okay with that.

Seriously, as others have asked, do you have any idea when the show will air? Are you allowed to give more details about the hearing and why Judge Alex ruled in your favor?

The real question is, on my 04 C2 with 72k miles on the clock and an OEM clutch pack and AOS sitting in the box, will I replace the IMSB while we are in there? I'd be a fool not to, right?

Should I stay or should I go now?
Old 06-24-2012, 11:12 AM
machbx
Instructor

Originally Posted by silotwo
Wow - All I was saying is that Judge Alex is almost as popular as Judge Judy - it was for those who were not familiar with the show. This in no way was a comment about an expert witness nor about PNA.

Every Porsche mechanic I have spoken with admits to knowing about it. Some have never personally dealt with a bad IMSB, others have experienced a few.

I've heard anything from no one knows for sure if the IMSB is the root cause or collateral damage from some other internal failure, one mechanic with 17 years at a Porsche dealership has never seen a failed IMSB at the shop but suspects that it is moisture related, from owners who do not drive the car regularly and who frequently do short runs, another says it is from strectching oil change intervals, and another said he replaced 1 on it's way out and had replaced 2 engines where in both cases the cars were well maintained and driven 12k to 15k miles per year.

So who really knows why, all we know is that it does happen.

And I happen to enjoy Judge Judy so if that makes me a bitchy little girl I am okay with that.

Seriously, as others have asked, do you have any idea when the show will air? Are you allowed to give more details about the hearing and why Judge Alex ruled in your favor?

The real question is, on my 04 C2 with 72k miles on the clock and an OEM clutch pack and AOS sitting in the box, will I replace the IMSB while we are in there? I'd be a fool not to, right?

Should I stay or should I go now?
Sorry I'm a bitchy little girl 2 sometimes. Im not trying to be vague. I really don't know when it will air. It was fun tho, an adventure. I asked the producers to call or text me when it will appear. I won bc the car had been wrecked before and the Schister dealer said it had not. But I believed what he said hook line and sinker. I didnt get a PPI and if I had got one, it wouldn't have found the flywheel problem I think. Anyway the repair cost I put into her was awarded to me. I filed a case in small claims court and that was turning out to be a hassle. The owner was ducking getting served and even then I would have to collect on my own. So the dealer didn't have to pay. The show pays me. But I don't care I have the money back
Old 06-24-2012, 11:15 AM
machbx
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jill338
I'm biting too - obviously it wasn't about the IMSB itself. What did it?
My problem was the clutch had been bad for so long the flywheel was toast. It had 35k on the clock at that time. But I took the opportunity to ask the engineer that the show brought in to ask abt the IMSB. He told to replace it for certain.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by machbx
My problem was the clutch had been bad for so long the flywheel was toast. It had 35k on the clock at that time. But I took the opportunity to ask the engineer that the show brought in to ask abt the IMSB. He told to replace it for certain.
Morning machbx.......wow, 35k on a clutch really doesn't seem that much, unless the PO was an animal! Don't want to worry you but is there any way the odometer could be lying??

Pity the bas**** dealer didn't have to shell out the money!!

Are you at liberty to share with us all the name and location of the guy, so we can all avoid him and spread the word??

Quick Reply: Me, the Machbx 911 C4, Judge Alex and the IMSB