Sponsored by:

Me, the Machbx 911 C4, Judge Alex and the IMSB

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 03:20 PM
machbx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by machbx
Moreover he said in trials at Nurberring(?) caused other weak points in the engine that would fail bc of a stronger situation at the IMSB.
As you can tell I was mostly excited to get a Porsche Engineer to my self! And he turned out to be a nice soft speaking genius who was kind enuff to put up w my question (a was like a kid w a rock star!). He said replace that bearing. To be diligent in my care of the 996 and learn to service her my self so that I will know the minute something is out of round. I told him how I turn to radio off to listen to the engine all the time and got a big laugh. Said he still does that after all these years. And he was right about 1 more thing. I'm hooked for life
Old 06-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by machbx
Moreover he said in trials at Nurberring(?) caused other weak points in the engine that would fail bc of a stronger situation at the IMSB.
Well, I wont be caning my car around the Nurburgring anytime so I'm gonna fit the new bearing, new clutch while I'm at it (actually the other way around.....car is in for clutch issues) and then forget all about this little problem!
Old 06-23-2012, 04:21 PM
machbx
Instructor

Originally Posted by 03996
Well, I wont be caning my car around the Nurburgring anytime so I'm gonna fit the new bearing, new clutch while I'm at it (actually the other way around.....car is in for clutch issues) and then forget all about this little problem!
I'm with you - he said to do it. I'm doing it
Old 06-23-2012, 04:47 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Wasn't there a recent post from another Porsche Emplyoee that said "Don't worry about the IMSB"? I will dig it up in a bit (currently having lunch after an amazing drive). I think it was in the "will replacing my IMS help my car value"' Much more importantly here...hey Matchbox, when and where does this air cause some of us might want to check you out!
Old 06-23-2012, 05:00 PM
machbx
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
Wasn't there a recent post from another Porsche Emplyoee that said "Don't worry about the IMSB"? I will dig it up in a bit (currently having lunch after an amazing drive). I think it was in the "will replacing my IMS help my car value"' Much more importantly here...hey Matchbox, when and where does this air cause some of us might want to check you out!
lol - as soon as I find out I will tell you - it may be a bit the producer said. I have always heard abt 8 different opines all the time - so - I wanted to know what Porsche engineering thought. I knew doubtless they had heard of the problem. And I waited until he was free to pick his brain. I don't track and and I love this car - I just wanted to know for certain, what should I do if I want to keep it for 100k miles or a 100 miles.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:04 PM
mjb2448
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Has anybody seen a picture of Jake Raby so we compare with the guy on the Judge Alex show ? I heard Jake does a passible Bavarian accent and likes to wear lederhosen.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:12 PM
machbx
Instructor

Originally Posted by mjb2448
Has anybody seen a picture of Jake Raby so we compare with the guy on the Judge Alex show ? I heard Jake does a passible Bavarian accent and likes to wear lederhosen.
lol I like it! But this guy was originally from Milan
Old 06-23-2012, 05:27 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Ummmm... I used to work in the auto industry. Current employees as well as past employees are typically held by non disclosure agreements and are prevented from providing testimony as witnesses without official court subpoena - and representation from the manufacturers lawyers. If your "expert witness" testified on a tv justice show I am pretty sure he was maybe a mechanic or tech that worked at a dealer - not an employee of porsche nOrth America. Anyway congrats on the settlement with your used car dealer
Old 06-23-2012, 05:41 PM
golftime
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

My thanks also machbx for what I thought was a very clear thread. Not to hijack the thread, but I see people weighing in on the fact that the failure rate of the IMSB is low and therefore the need to replace the bearing is exaggerated. Risky thinking. Any risk expert will tell you, risk avoidance must be based upon not just how often something occurs, but also the consequences when it does occur. In other words, low rate of occurrence and low consequences, not a big deal. With the IMSB however, it may have a low rate of occurrence, but the consequences are high - catastrophic failure of motor and a very big price tag to replace. Preventative action is generally warranted. A more extreme example of this is sometimes found in the aviation industry when one or two failures occurs, resulting in airline crashes. In that case the failure rate may be low but the consequences are high, and as a result the FAA grounds the entire fleet of that model aircraft. The only worse risk combination is high rate of occurrence along with high consequences.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:31 PM
machbx
Instructor

Originally Posted by golftime
My thanks also machbx for what I thought was a very clear thread. Not to hijack the thread, but I see people weighing in on the fact that the failure rate of the IMSB is low and therefore the need to replace the bearing is exaggerated. Risky thinking. Any risk expert will tell you, risk avoidance must be based upon not just how often something occurs, but also the consequences when it does occur. In other words, low rate of occurrence and low consequences, not a big deal. With the IMSB however, it may have a low rate of occurrence, but the consequences are high - catastrophic failure of motor and a very big price tag to replace. Preventative action is generally warranted. A more extreme example of this is sometimes found in the aviation industry when one or two failures occurs, resulting in airline crashes. In that case the failure rate may be low but the consequences are high, and as a result the FAA grounds the entire fleet of that model aircraft. The only worse risk combination is high rate of occurrence along with high consequences.
You go right ahead and hijack! ~~~;}. It's such a Mindbender for us owners. I work in Risk as well but on the IT side. And you can mitigate risk. But w this damn IMSB thing. I'm just gonna suck it up. Now mind you my sucking it up is to install a guardian and watch her like a hawk. Ergot do my own fluid changes. But when it time for 60 k service. I'm going all in and just do the LN. I live for this ride. I don't want a different one. Ok I did see a beauty 2012 in Riveria blue that stopped my heart. But. I want this 996 to run 4 ever
Old 06-23-2012, 06:36 PM
machbx
Instructor

Originally Posted by roadsession
Ummmm... I used to work in the auto industry. Current employees as well as past employees are typically held by non disclosure agreements and are prevented from providing testimony as witnesses without official court subpoena - and representation from the manufacturers lawyers. If your "expert witness" testified on a tv justice show I am pretty sure he was maybe a mechanic or tech that worked at a dealer - not an employee of porsche nOrth America. Anyway congrats on the settlement with your used car dealer
Works for me! I am happy - here's that lovely 2012 911 I love this blue
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2012, 06:40 PM
machbx
Instructor

Originally Posted by roadsession
But I also worked for GM and I worked for Dialmer - and what you said didn't apply - and I also couldn't talk abt my Eclipse I had bc of Mitsubishi nt allowing it. He was the real deal - you can check him out pretty soon when it 's air time comes up
Old 06-23-2012, 06:43 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by golftime
Kind of like putting a band-aid on your finger just in case you get a paper cut?
Old 06-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Wasn't there a recent post from another Porsche Emplyoee that said "Don't worry about the IMSB"? I will dig it up in a bit (currently having lunch after an amazing drive). I think it was in the "will replacing my IMS help my car value!
it was in that thread post #75.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:50 PM
Racer

Kind of like putting a band-aid on your finger just in case you get a paper cut?
I think this is one of those issues where if we don't want to believe it's a problem, then we find a myriad of reason why we shouldn't do anything. The opposite also applies of course but in this case, IMHO, there's enough real smoke to go ahead. As another poster said, it's a matter of risk and consequences. Moderate or low risk perhaps but very high consequences.

Like Global Warming, without absolute proof we can talk ourselves into a complete standstill, until it's too late.

It's a gamble. If you're a gambler you weigh the odds of losing, but in this case you can stack the deck in your favor by slipping an ace, or perhaps just a king, up your sleeve.

Quick Reply: Me, the Machbx 911 C4, Judge Alex and the IMSB