Sponsored by:

Smart Top or Not Smart Top

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 12:07 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jackarelli
I have a 99 and I can control the roof with the key fob and my windows close at the end of the operation. Is this not the case for others?
Do you mean insert the key into the door lock, turn and hold until the top and window open and close? I think the rest of us are talking about pressing the remote button on the key fob, which is the RemoteTop features.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:13 PM
aviography
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
Even without the smart top, the top can be opened and closed via the ignition key in the door lock as you stand by the drivers door so there is no need to sit in the drivers seat Doug. Does the smart top have an auto stop to it if someone puts their fingers in the way of travel? I mean after that first one push, with the remote (or on the inside button) if something is in the way of hood travel, does it stop auto or trap their fingers?
Not sure there is an "auto stop" other than the person holding the key to the open/unlock or close/lock position while the key is in the door keyhole will instinctively release the key if someone is screaming because their finher is trapped in the scissor mechanism.

I guess that counts as some form of "auto stop"!

With the RemoteTop or SmartTop, pressing the button quickly again while the mechanism is in motion will stop the mechanism, a "semi-auto stop" I suppose.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:41 PM
jackarelli
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aviography
Do you mean insert the key into the door lock, turn and hold until the top and window open and close? I think the rest of us are talking about pressing the remote button on the key fob, which is the RemoteTop features.
No I mean, my key has Two buttons. One with a picture of a key and one with a picture of the car with the roof off. If I hold down the button with the picture of the roof, it either pits the roof down or up depending on its original state. Is this unusual for a 99.

The key is a bonofied Porsche key.

I can provide a pic if necessasry
Old 06-20-2012, 03:14 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

No I mean, my key has Two buttons. One with a picture of a key and one with a picture of the car with the roof off. If I hold down the button with the picture of the roof, it either pits the roof down or up depending on its original state. Is this unusual for a 99.

I can provide a pic if necessasry
This is not a US DOT approved action...ROW, yes, but not in the US. That is why there are aftermarket devices to get around the DOT from protecting us from ourselves. You must have a ROW key fob.

For the prior response to me....the smart top is designed for one-touch activation of the top (it will also allow activation at speed, for older models). It will also allow for rear window control without any hacking of the wiring. I paid $294 (not $600????) in 05 and it has worked great since installation. (so much so I bought one for my clk as well.)
Old 06-20-2012, 03:36 PM
jackarelli
Advanced

Sorry could you please define: ROW? (Noob here!!)

FYI from the uk if that changes anything

Also I do like the thought of the 1 touch action, might have to look into that one!

Sorry don't want to labour this thread anymore
Old 06-20-2012, 03:50 PM
aviography
Drifting

ROW = Rest of World.

Yes UK would make a difference, a member here from New Zealand seems to also have this ability, so I was going to ask if you were in North America, looks like Uncle Sam was the Safety Nanny again.

Once touch operation is very nice to have!!
Old 06-20-2012, 03:53 PM
aviography
Drifting

Originally Posted by wross996tt
I paid $294 (not $600????) in 05
They are going for just under $300 each these days, I bought the combo of SmartTop and RemoteTop for a bit of discount two months ago.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:57 PM
jackarelli
Advanced

Rest of world.. Of course, Doh!

Old 06-20-2012, 04:36 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What exactly did Bono do to the key?
Old 06-20-2012, 04:41 PM
jackarelli
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sue Esponte
What exactly did Bono do to the key?
Lol.... Sorry my iPhone thinks it's smarter than me.. Normally it is but on this occasion the word I was looking for was bonafide
Old 06-20-2012, 05:02 PM
rustymon
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are there recommended dealers from which to purchase this mod? Seems like everyone out there is between $285 and $299. I think the RemoteTop would be amazingly helpful in my new acquisition... not sure I want to spend the $$ for both.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:41 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
I much prefer having to click the parking brake as this prevents accidental opening of the top.
It's impossible for me to "accidentally" open the top without first undoing the latch. Since the DIY method requires still holding down the button for the entire process, it's pretty hard to "accidentally" close it, either.

Quick Reply: Smart Top or Not Smart Top