Sponsored by:

variable speed window wiper issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 06:49 PM
kaleighcam
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default variable speed window wiper issue

Hello; I have an '01 c2 with a window wiper problem. The high and low speeds work, but the variable intermittent wiper setting does not. Is there a relay for that? If so, the porsche owners manual won't tell me about it.

Could it be the speed adjustment ****? Is that an easy piece to remove from the dashboard?

Any advice would be appreciated

keith
Old 06-15-2012, 07:08 PM
vange_c4s
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you left intermittent on for a while? i find there is a long delay even at the fastest setting.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:09 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,466 Likes on 919 Posts

It's 6 seconds between wipes in the fastest setting.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:10 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by kaleighcam
Hello; I have an '01 c2 with a window wiper problem. The high and low speeds work, but the variable intermittent wiper setting does not. Is there a relay for that? If so, the porsche owners manual won't tell me about it.

Could it be the speed adjustment ****? Is that an easy piece to remove from the dashboard?

Any advice would be appreciated

keith
If the car has the rain sensing feature if the stalk has this selected and the engine is turned off, upon restart the intermittent wiper feature doesn't work. The wiper stalk must be moved to the off position. When it is then moved to the intermittent position the wipers should cycle over and back again.

Then depending upon the rain amount and the intermittent sensitivity setting the wipers will wipe as fast as the high speed setting or very slow.

I'm not famililar with the variable intermittent wiper feature. My other car has a simpler intermittent wiper setting.

Longer shot, but one you should consider: The fuse could be bad. The fail safe is the wipers continue to work in low/high speed mode, the intermittent feature is the circuit that is fuse protected.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:25 PM
Ericginpa
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In addition to what Macster said,if you do have the rain sensing feature. There is a gell-like substance between the rear view mirror and the windshield. Over time this substance can become more of a solid,when that happens the intermittent feature stops working. The gell can be purchased at either a p-car dealer or a VW dealer IIRC
Old 06-15-2012, 09:12 PM
kaleighcam
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiper issue

Thanks for the advice - the fuses are good, there is no rain sensor. What now? Is there a relay involved? What about the speed control ****? I'm guessing that is the next weak link.

keith
Old 06-15-2012, 10:18 PM
Ericginpa
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be the ****. It could also be in the stalk, if you remove the **** maybe check it for power before you replace it. Has there been any other issues that could be stalk related? Directionals not canceling? Maybe issues with the cruise control? Just fishin here
Old 08-13-2012, 06:33 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

I had exactly the same issue today and exactly the same symptoms, with my variable intermittent wiper control. No rain sensor option to worry about. Up 1 and 2 work fine. OFF works fine. Down one (to variable speed) makes one sweep and that is it - no matter how long you wait - and playing with the **** for the variable speed makes no difference. Had ample opportunity to experiment with it in a long driving rain, and even an opportunity to turn the car off completely for an hour (lunch) and then try it again in rain. Same symptoms. Wipers in Low, Medium, and High work just fine and at the normal speed. And the "Bump" feature (single sweep) works perfectly, as does the "Pull" feature for cleaning the windshield.

I am thinking it must be something with the rheostat and wiring in the ****. Considering how little that feature gets used, I wonder about the longevity of the original design components. No other issues with the other stalks (cruise control, turn signal, trip computer, and the horn all work perfectly, and no noises, scraping sounds, or airbag lights).

So my first step in solving this issue was:
1. Use the Search This Forum function in the upper right hand corner of the 996 Forum thread listing. That is how I discovered this thread and many others on the topic.
2. I read several of the other threads and got the following:
A) It may be that not having the wiper switch in the OFF position before starting the car somehow later defeats the relay that operates the intermittent function.
B) It may be as simple as a loose plug-in relay for this function, which is located under the dash where a foot might actually kick it by accident. The relay is in the 16th slot of the relay holding box.
C) The relay may be bad - easy to replace now that you know where it is.
D) It may be the "Potentiostat" which is behind the **** that controls the intermittent wiper speed (mine is located on the dash to the right of the steering column but to the left of the radio. Other years and models appear to have that **** located down low in front of the shifter boot). The Potentiostat can be easily removed by reaching behind the ****, squeezing the base where it is attached to the **** housing and pulling it off. It may just need some cleaning of the contacts or it might need replacement . Porsche Part Number is 996-613-115-00-A02.
E) Your IMS has failed and you need a new engine. (Sorry, I had the right to remain silent, but I did not have the ability).

I will try to remember to update this post when I have performed checks on A, B, C, and D.

Last edited by Thundertub; 08-13-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:03 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I might have on old relay from my 04. I switched out to install the rain sensing. Sold the car so I think I still have the old relay sitting around. PM me your address and I will put it in the mail to you.

Quick Reply: variable speed window wiper issue