Sponsored by:

IMS Class Action Suit is HERE, maybe

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 01:41 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default IMS Class Action Suit is HERE, maybe

Just saw this in a banner add at the top of a RL page. This could be the law suit many have been waiting for and asking about. Check it out.

http://www.newjerseyclassactionlawye...FaYaQgodvXpzXw

sorry if this is an enzo. first I've heard of it.
Attached Images  

Last edited by RollingArt; 06-15-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,427 Likes on 783 Posts

Looks like a typical ambulance-chasing law firm.

Let me predict the future now:

$100 million settlement with Porsche, "victims" of the "IMS defect" get $150 each and the law firm gets the remaining $90 million.

Amurica, **** yeah.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:22 PM
SacTownGuy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious

$100 million settlement with Porsche, "victims" of the "IMS defect" get $150 each and the law firm gets the remaining $90 million.

Amurica, **** yeah.

Yes, I am a lawyer so defensive about comments like this, but what percentage of presumably non-ambulance chasers sign the lawsuits? Yes the lawyer comes up with the great idea, markets it, and takes way too much money in most class actions BUT behind EVERY SINGLE lawsuit a CLIENT signs on the dotted line to get MONEY!

On the other hand, my dad successfully pursued several class action lawsuits that resulted in banks changing how they calculate mortgage interest among other things that has now helped people for generations. So not all class action lawsuits only benefit the attorney.

Oh ya, and this attorney will be signing up for this lawsuit if it comes together!
Old 06-15-2012, 02:53 PM
seanmcr6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a lasting result of such a suit, if it goes in favour of the claimants...is that anyone who suffers a future IMS failure would be able to have Porsche fix it, no?

Also, bottom line...is all the actual facts would come out in such a case and we would all learn, once and for all, how wide spread this issue really is. No more internet-based deductions and conjecture. Tell me that wouldn't be nice?!
Old 06-15-2012, 03:09 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by seanmcr6
Correct me if I'm wrong, but a lasting result of such a suit, if it goes in favour of the claimants...is that anyone who suffers a future IMS failure would be able to have Porsche fix it, no?

Also, bottom line...is all the actual facts would come out in such a case and we would all learn, once and for all, how wide spread this issue really is. No more internet-based deductions and conjecture. Tell me that wouldn't be nice?!
What won't be nice is that all of our cars will be devalued. This is not a widely known issue outside of our little community and, contrary to what some think, IMS failure is still a rare event (sorry SacTown). The publicity would damage the reputation of Porsche 911's in general, and the 996 in particular.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:26 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You will never find a jury that will be sympathetic to an owner of a Porsche. And the failure rate is low.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:45 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious

Amurica, **** yeah.
Yep, America, because of its legal system, with "ambulance chasers" does have a remedy for P-car owners with the IMSB defect.

Lets take a look at these ambulance chasers. The law firm will take the case on a contingency basis, that means that they don't get a penny unless there is a settlement or a jury verdict. The law firm will easily gamble hundreds of thousands of dollars UP FRONT to pay for the costs, experts, investigation, depositions, travel etc. Then they will invest tens of thousands of hours of attorney time to litigate the case, all with no guarantee of recovery, and all at no cost to the client.

And even if Porsche only agrees to a minimal, per person settlement, the class action will cost them much more than if they had just dealt with the problem in the beginning. The class action will be a huge deterent to Porsche in the future to put defective products on the market.

So yeah, these ambulance chasers make it better for all of us.

If you don't like class actions, get a lawyer, pay him up front and have him sue Porsche. Tel us how that works out.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:12 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

My IMS hasn't failed, but the value of my car is still negatively impacted by the # of IMS failures. Where's my class action lawsuit, huh??
Old 06-15-2012, 09:27 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I was just thinking about this and had a terrible thought.

Can Porsche settle with the law firm out of court to get them to drop the IMS suit? Say they offer the firm $1 mil and have them sign an agreement to never bring suit against Porsche again.

Is that what's really happening here?
Old 06-15-2012, 10:28 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt

Can Porsche settle with the law firm out of court to get them to drop the IMS suit? Say they offer the firm $1 mil and have them sign an agreement to never bring suit against Porsche again.

It would defeat the purpose of the process wouldnt it? Else you would have a bunch of law firms just running around looking for issues to get rich off and not help the people in need?

Unless Im missing something about your legal system?
Old 06-15-2012, 10:32 PM
jdog
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

First and foremost I think that you need to share pics of your stable.
Second I think that our legal system is so far beyond repair (like our tax system) that we just need to start over.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:06 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Only those who are party to the class action lawsuit are held to the results, AFAIK. If you opt out, you can still sue separately. But if you opt out and there's a big settlement, you're SOL.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:16 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Ridiculous. Suing because a fraction of some cars upwards of 13 years old have engine failures is absurd. The only ones who will make out on that deal is the lawyers, with Porsche and Porsche owners footing the bill. Don't get sucked-in.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:22 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by San Rensho
The law firm will take the case on a contingency basis, that means that they don't get a penny unless there is a settlement or a jury verdict. The law firm will easily gamble hundreds of thousands of dollars UP FRONT to pay for the costs, experts, investigation, depositions, travel etc. .
And when there is a settlement, which almost always happens in these cases, the law firm takes their 33% off the top, then charges for every photocopy, every minute on the phone, every time anyone on staff was "thinking" about the case while on the toilet, etc... The net-net is that the lawyers will take the bulk of the money and anyone who is party to the suit will get pennies. Porsche's reputation will be sullied, 996 values will be diminished, and owners who have actually suffered from the problems will have only a few dollars, if any, to their credit.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:23 PM
golftime
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

It appears that only owners of vehicles that suffered an IMS failure would be eligible. Where does that leave all the owners who replaced the IMSB as a precautionary move to avoid a catastrophic engine failure?

Quick Reply: IMS Class Action Suit is HERE, maybe