996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

IMS Class Action Suit is HERE, maybe

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 11:31 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Years ago I had a Kodak Instant camera that I paid $100 for. Polaroid sued them for patent infringement and won. Kodak had to stop selling film for the camera, rendering it useless. There was a class action suit which was successful. Each person who was party to the suit received a coupon for $1.00 off the purchase of a Polaroid camera. The lawyers made tens of millions.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:02 AM
PcarDrmr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW stepped up when the spun bearing issues came up in the m3 engines as well as when there were issues to the subframes.. Owners who weren't affected were able to get their subframes checked and they did preventative stuff for the owners of the bearing who didn't lose their engines..
Old 06-16-2012, 01:17 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
Ridiculous. Suing because a fraction of some cars upwards of 13 years old have engine failures is absurd. The only ones who will make out on that deal is the lawyers, with Porsche and Porsche owners footing the bill. Don't get sucked-in.
Exactly... don't knowingly buy something out of warranty if you're going to cry when something breaks.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:33 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ951
It would defeat the purpose of the process wouldnt it? Else you would have a bunch of law firms just running around looking for issues to get rich off and not help the people in need?
Who ever said that lawyer are actually around to help people??

Come on, they are in business like everyone else to make money for themselves.....they are not there for the good of the people, but rather to help themselves, same as everyone else.

Marc
Old 06-16-2012, 01:35 AM
PoloTurbo
Instructor

Thanks
I will never buy a car from 1999 to 2008.

When Porsche will admit the faulty IMS problems and pay for it money will grow on trees.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:28 AM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PoloTurbo
Thanks

When Porsche will admit the faulty IMS problems and pay for it money will grow on trees.
More fool you - as this range of years provides by far the best 2nd hand purchase value!!
Old 06-16-2012, 09:47 AM
spare tire
Racer

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
Yes, I am a lawyer so defensive about comments like this, but what percentage of presumably non-ambulance chasers sign the lawsuits? !
This is so correct. Only half of the lawyers are dishonest. There is another 50%
that are trying to help people. Most Judges are/were lawyers so at least half of them are honest also. It is a good thing Porsche makes engines better than America makes lawyers.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:11 AM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by PoloTurbo
Thanks

There are many models that do not have the M96/97 engine in these years, so I would not discount all of them. Ever hear of something called a GT3?
Old 06-16-2012, 10:47 AM
spender
Pro

Oh, you yanks with your attorneys!

The idea of an IMS lawsuit totally made me think of that quote from the Office Space movie:

Tom Smykowski: [Smykowski is in a full-body cast] Just remember, if you hang in there long enough, good things can happen in this world. I mean, look at me.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:55 AM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
And when there is a settlement, which almost always happens in these cases, the law firm takes their 33% off the top, then charges for every photocopy, every minute on the phone, every time anyone on staff was "thinking" about the case while on the toilet, etc... The net-net is that the lawyers will take the bulk of the money and anyone who is party to the suit will get pennies. Porsche's reputation will be sullied, 996 values will be diminished, and owners who have actually suffered from the problems will have only a few dollars, if any, to their credit.
Sorry, you're wrong. If the firm takes it on a contingency, they don't gt to charge an hourly rate on top of the contingency fee.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:05 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by San Rensho
Sorry, you're wrong. If the firm takes it on a contingency, they don't gt to charge an hourly rate on top of the contingency fee.
I'm not a lawyer so you may be correct. But ultimately, it's mostly the lawyers who profit from class action suits.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:35 AM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

I don't know why any current 996 owners or former 996 owners who had to replace their IMSBs wouldn't be part of the class. Clearly, they need to build on evidence from 996 owners whose cars experienced catastrophic engine failure as a result of an IMSB failure to establish a case but, as others have noted, the class of owners potentially impacted by the failure is much, much larger.

-Eric
Old 06-16-2012, 11:41 AM
spender
Pro

Again, doesn't work that way (as someone pointed out before) due to something called "privity". This means that only those people that have a direct contractual relationship with Porsche (i.e. they bought one new directly from Porsche) have any real claim, and then only if they suffered damages. Most of those people will likely have gotten new engines under warranty.

All that this lawsuit will do is lessen the value of the 996 line, by highlighting that some had gimpy engines - great, so we will become the "Pinto" of the Porsche line. No thanks.

However, the odds that this suit will get any media attention at all is pretty scant. I read somewhere that there are close to a thousand "your junk food made me fat" class actions in place, one against almost every maker of U.S. junk food or candy. I really don't feel this is a good use of the legal system...
Old 06-16-2012, 12:03 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe one of our attorneys can answer this.

If people sign up for a class action suit and then ultimately there is no reward judgement, can the law firm bill it's expenses to those who have signed up for said class action?

How many here are the original owners of their Porsche? Probably less than 5%. It's going to be hard to find to many original owners that still own. I suppose previous owners who've experienced a failure can sign up?
Old 06-16-2012, 12:21 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ltusler
There are many models that do not have the M96/97 engine in these years, so I would not discount all of them. Ever hear of something called a GT3?
or a 996TT

Quick Reply: IMS Class Action Suit is HERE, maybe