Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Does PSM need to be recalibrated after installing PSS9s?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 12:03 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Does PSM need to be recalibrated after installing PSS9s?

Are the yaw and tilt sensors repositioned by the lowered suspension and different F-R height ratios, requiring the PSM to be "re-zeroed"? Never seen anything mentioned about this with all the lowered 996s out there. SEEMS like it should be.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:26 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by perryinva
Are the yaw and tilt sensors repositioned by the lowered suspension and different F-R height ratios, requiring the PSM to be "re-zeroed"? Never seen anything mentioned about this with all the lowered 996s out there. SEEMS like it should be.
After lowering mine. I had to recenter the wheel sensor.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:59 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Did you do it yourself, or was it done when you had an alignment?
Old 06-15-2012, 06:51 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

After the install and alignment (which you should after the install) it is recommended that the steering angle sensor be recalibrated. This is part of the PSM, so if you don't have PSM then you don't need to do this. If the sensor is miscalibrated you won't really know it but the PSM won't function properly.

You need a PST2 or the newer Porsche system, or I believe tha latest version of the Durametric will do this.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:46 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Dharn55
After the install and alignment (which you should after the install) it is recommended that the steering angle sensor be recalibrated. This is part of the PSM, so if you don't have PSM then you don't need to do this. If the sensor is miscalibrated you won't really know it but the PSM won't function properly.

You need a PST2 or the newer Porsche system, or I believe tha latest version of the Durametric will do this.
Correct, but if it is bad enough PSM will know it and disable PSM and ABS until the steering sensor is centered again.
You'll be sent a warning every 15 min while you are driving.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:00 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Yes, I have PSM, which is why I asked. I still have the old tires I hate on the car, while seating all the new rubber, and while front camber is good (put on new x74 upper strut mounts), no such thing for rears, (but did put on new RSMs), so rear camber is a little extreme, and I notice PSM kicking in easier than before lowering. Will be putting on new PS2s this month and getting alignment, and just wanted to make sure I need adjustments made, as obviously not all shops would have a PST2, nor would they know what was needed.

Quick Reply: Does PSM need to be recalibrated after installing PSS9s?