Sponsored by:

Parts required for DIY brake job

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 06:10 PM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Parts required for DIY brake job

I'm ready to order F and R pads, rotors are still good, just wondering what other parts I should order. Is there a complete kit, pins, shims etc, or multiple part #s.

I understand its pretty straight forward as far as brakes go, but if anyone has any pointers, they would be appreciated.

FWIW 03 C2

Cheers
Old 06-14-2012, 06:21 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

there is a brake kit... call suncoast. Talk to Aaron he'll hook you up. Need a brake flush?
Old 06-15-2012, 09:27 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Van has a great DIY video on the subject...
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-tutorial.html
Old 06-15-2012, 09:35 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 9964runner
I'm ready to order F and R pads, rotors are still good, just wondering what other parts I should order. Is there a complete kit, pins, shims etc, or multiple part #s.

I understand its pretty straight forward as far as brakes go, but if anyone has any pointers, they would be appreciated.

FWIW 03 C2

Cheers
http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutor...-instructions/

I change brakes rather frequently due to DE so I have been reusing the vibration dampers (using Brake Quiet to attach them) and reusing the hardware (called a Repair Kit in the link). I changed just the pads and the sensors on my most recent effort.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:56 AM
laz74
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I forewent the replacement of the brake sensor wires when I did my brakes - I just clipped them and spliced the 2 wires together, then plasti-dipped the connections (the dip, not the spray). In my opinion, the sensors are an unnecessary feature/expense as you can easily see the brake pad thickness from outside. Also, if changing pads frequently (track to street pads, and vice-versa), these wires are a nuisance to constantly mount into and dismount from the pads.

Also, I went with Stoptech Street Performance pads ordered from Zeckhausen.com and I am very happy with these. Much less expensive than OEM pads.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Just did mine about 2 weeks ago. Change your Dampers and Shims for sure!!! Also the Spring Kit might be Fatigued change that as well. No need for new Caliper Bolts. I Did it and it was pointless. Also Brake Sensors will need to be replaced if Light Came on
Old 06-15-2012, 01:54 PM
spender
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Zookie, how long did it take you? Did you change pads and rotors?
Old 06-15-2012, 02:01 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
...Change your Dampers and Shims for sure!!! Also the Spring Kit might be Fatigued change that as well. No need for new Caliper Bolts...
I disagree. If you want to save a few bucks, keep the dampers and shims, and replace the Caliper Bolts .

The dampers/shims just sit there to reduce vibration; you could actually run without them. Of course, they are cheap. so you could replace them for simplicity.

Porsche recommends replacing the caliper bolts. Overkill? Probably, but they are only $2.60 each. Better safe than sorry; you never know what heat cycling has done to fatigue the bolts.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:12 PM
URQ
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're all forgetting the most important part.....
Before starting any DIY job - including brakes - the first thing one buys is a 12 pack of your favorite brew!
Old 06-15-2012, 03:29 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by frisbee91
I disagree. If you want to save a few bucks, keep the dampers and shims, and replace the Caliper Bolts .

The dampers/shims just sit there to reduce vibration; you could actually run without them. Of course, they are cheap. so you could replace them for simplicity.

Porsche recommends replacing the caliper bolts. Overkill? Probably, but they are only $2.60 each. Better safe than sorry; you never know what heat cycling has done to fatigue the bolts.
I agree with this. It is important for us to realize that if the manufacturer says to replace the caliper bolts that it is likely because the bolts are designed to deform when tightened to achieve the desired end result. A repeat tightening will not work correctly. At least that is what my engineer brother told me when I asked him this question.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:59 PM
9964runner
Pro

You guys are brilliant, thanks for all the info, tips and vids. Rotors are good, SS lines and flush a few months back, no brake light, yet anyway. I do have a fair bit of pad left, but probably wouldn't pass track inspection.
Zookie, did you source any of the parts locally?

So a complete parts list would be:
pads
shims
spring kit
dampers
caliper bolts
brake sensors
Old 06-15-2012, 04:08 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

You guys are brilliant, thanks for all the info, tips and vids. Rotors are good, SS lines and flush a few months back, no brake light, yet anyway. I do have a fair bit of pad left, but probably wouldn't pass track inspection.

pads
shims
spring kit
dampers
caliper bolts
brake sensors
You need the caliper bolts only if you are changing rotors. You don't have to take the caliper off to change pads.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:40 PM
9964runner
Pro

Originally Posted by DCP
You need the caliper bolts only if you are changing rotors. You don't have to take the caliper off to change pads.
Oh yea, so used to vehicles that need rotors with every set of pads... So who started the rumor P-cars are expensive to maintain anyway??
Old 06-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

pads
shims
spring kit
dampers
caliper bolts
brake sensors
Read this Thread https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...rake-time.html

You dont need Caliper Bolts if you are not Removing Calipers to Change out Rotors.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:30 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just changed mine... just replaced the pads and threw the vibration things away... no issues.

You only need to replace the sensors if they wore through and activated.

Quick Reply: Parts required for DIY brake job